Member Guest Pass at your club?

Springveldt

Visit site
So, it cost me £45 in the end to play Close House Colt course last night. We were given the choice of it being £50 if I paid directly or £45 if my mate put it on his account. Obviously chose the latter option and I gave him the cash, I guess you get a discount on everything if you put it on your account.

Course was in cracking condition, very dry underfoot which surprised me even at the holes at the bottom of the hill. As some said, very hilly and quite a tough walk. My mate loves it but if I'm being honest with myself I'm not sure I'd like it as my home course as that walk twice a week could drain the fun out of golf for me, I think I would end up playing the Filly more as that's a much more pleasant walk. You would definitely get fitter playing the Colt twice a week but you would probably put a lot of stress on your knees/ankles as well.

With the way golf is going I'd say it's good value at £45 but I'd be feeling completely ripped off if I had to pay £200 for a round without anything else being thrown in. Maybe if you got some sort of deal that included a breakfast roll, a round of golf and a meal afterwards I'd say it's worth it but just a round for £200? Nope from me but then again this course isn't really marketing itself to guys like me.

CountLippe

Visit site
I suppose it depends on what percentage of visitor income comes from members guests. I know at our place its well over 50%. From a business point of view they can keep putting it up and numbers of guests doesn't really change (still less than half the standard green fee). If they put the standard green fee up, numbers will drop.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, it cost me £45 in the end to play Close House Colt course last night. We were given the choice of it being £50 if I paid directly or £45 if my mate put it on his account. Obviously chose the latter option and I gave him the cash, I guess you get a discount on everything if you put it on your account.

Course was in cracking condition, very dry underfoot which surprised me even at the holes at the bottom of the hill. As some said, very hilly and quite a tough walk. My mate loves it but if I'm being honest with myself I'm not sure I'd like it as my home course as that walk twice a week could drain the fun out of golf for me, I think I would end up playing the Filly more as that's a much more pleasant walk. You would definitely get fitter playing the Colt twice a week but you would probably put a lot of stress on your knees/ankles as well.

With the way golf is going I'd say it's good value at £45 but I'd be feeling completely ripped off if I had to pay £200 for a round without anything else being thrown in. Maybe if you got some sort of deal that included a breakfast roll, a round of golf and a meal afterwards I'd say it's worth it but just a round for £200? Nope from me but then again this course isn't really marketing itself to guys like me.
A peasant you mean 😂 . Funnily enough, one of the things I like about Close House is that it is new money that plays there so there is no snobbery, no airs and graces. There is clearly shed loads of money playing there but it is relaxed. They want corporate money, I think they are pretty upfront about it.

The Colt is one of those courses where I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a buggy, The Roxburghe and Rockcliffe being two others up here that also meet that criteria. Otherwise it would be hard on your joints, no fun in that.

I'm with you, I'd rather play The Filly if I was a member there. That's a smashing course, more user friendly.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
A peasant you mean 😂 . Funnily enough, one of the things I like about Close House is that it is new money that plays there so there is no snobbery, no airs and graces. There is clearly shed loads of money playing there but it is relaxed. They want corporate money, I think they are pretty upfront about it.

The Colt is one of those courses where I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a buggy, The Roxburghe and Rockcliffe being two others up here that also meet that criteria. Otherwise it would be hard on your joints, no fun in that.

I'm with you, I'd rather play The Filly if I was a member there. That's a smashing course, more user friendly.

Agree 100%
Loved playing the Filly when we were there

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
£150 full, £50 guest. I think that the guest rate should be a bit lower as it's part of the benefits of membership. That said, when I take guests there, they approve of saving £100.

I was thinking of a trip to play Close House... but there's no way I'm paying 200 to play it. It's just daft.

I'm heading up that way next month with my wife. We'll play the oldies on the coast....

sunshine

Visit site
Course was in cracking condition, very dry underfoot which surprised me even at the holes at the bottom of the hill. As some said, very hilly and quite a tough walk.

It's the middle of June. I know we've had a wet year so far, but surely every course has now dried out and is in fantastic condition?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's the middle of June. I know we've had a wet year so far, but surely every course has now dried out and is in fantastic condition?
No 🤷‍♂️. Things aren't flooded now any more, although after this afternoon's downpour up here that might not be the case, but there is a lot of moisture in the ground still. Not much run happening, rough and semi rough taller and thicker than it should be as machinery has not been able to get in places without leaving tyre tracks. We only had preferred lies removed a week ago.

sunshine

Visit site
No 🤷‍♂️. Things aren't flooded now any more, although after this afternoon's downpour up here that might not be the case, but there is a lot of moisture in the ground still. Not much run happening, rough and semi rough taller and thicker than it should be as machinery has not been able to get in places without leaving tyre tracks. We only had preferred lies removed a week ago.
Wow. I'm expecting all courses to be very lush right now, just not expecting soft boggy condiditons in June.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow. I'm expecting all courses to be very lush right now, just not expecting soft boggy condiditons in June.
Lots of different weather around the country. We haven't had a consistent spell of dry weather to properly dry everywhere out. We still have some bunkers gur, filled with water (although that is partly because they are a bit rubbish)

Springveldt

Visit site
Whole of Northumberland was lift, clean and place until the end of May, even my links course.

It’s just taking 1 day of rain for lots of places to start getting mud balls on the fairways again.

It’s the middle of June and my links course still isn’t getting a lot of run on the fairways, the fringes around the green are more like parkland than links, nothing has burned off.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have worked on a few courses in Yorkshire and some might not recover properly until next year .
It will depend how much rain we get this year .
The water table is so high in some places that it only takes a shower and it’s boggy again.
Around the Leeds area was quite bad.

sunshine

Visit site
We have worked on a few courses in Yorkshire and some might not recover properly until next year .
It will depend how much rain we get this year .
The water table is so high in some places that it only takes a shower and it’s boggy again.
Around the Leeds area was quite bad.

But a couple of weeks without rain and we will see hosepipe bans :ROFLMAO: