Open Forum at your Club

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We usually have an Open Forum @ The Club around 6 weeks’ before The AGM when the new Captain comes into office.

The idea is that on the evening for the incoming Captain very thing goes smoothly with minimum disruption but has not happened for the last 3 years’ because of COVID.

It usually ends up as a “moans night” with the usual people complaining about greens, catering, bunkers, BRS, Subs, costs to name a few.

Anybody else have something similar and how does the evening usually go?

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Had one at my last club which got scrapped after two years mainly due to the same issues you mention in your post. Turned into a real moanfest!

D

Deleted member 1147

Before covid we had a member's Q&A evening each summer. I only went once, and was told by a friend that each year the same members went, sat in the same place and said the same things (or should that be moaned about the same things).

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Before covid we had a member's Q&A evening each summer. I only went once, and was told by a friend that each year the same members went, sat in the same place and said the same things (or should that be moaned about the same things).

We did it for a couple of years at six monthly intervals. Similar to your experience, very poor turnout, same people each time, including an old boy who had once run his own club (a 9 hole pitch and putt) and considered himself the expert on everything relating to agronomy. One problem was that the employees didn't attend and it was left to the Committee to answer all the questions. Which they weren't very good at.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nothing like that at my club, but that's no surprise, the current committee have little or no interest in ordinary members opinions ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
We have three or four across the year, the directors are very keen on hearing members views. It's just a shame that it tends to be attended by the same few, some of whom just wish to air there oet moan. Directors do find them useful never the less.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club tried an open Facebook page for a short period, but it was a disaster.
It turned into a complaints page with personal arguments.
Now its an information/news only page, every new post has to be approved by the admin. comments are deleted asap if thought to be unsuitable.
Any complaints should be emailed directly to the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I have a query, issue or gratitude to express I go into the office and have a chat with our Golf Manager or Business Manager - they have an Open Door… Quite possible that their hearts might drop when I walk through their door, but I have conveyed a number of suggestions that I have picked up from here that have been implemented.

Last edited: