Medal play - the honour

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Playing in a medal, player a has the honour, player b goes second & player c goes third. They score 5, 4 and 5 respectively. The order on the next hole is b, a, c. Just about everyone in my club would say that player a goes to the back of the queue because he lost the honour. I've given up arguing about this. I showed one guy the rule & he still interpreted it the wrong way. What do you do? Rule 10-2 is perfectly clear.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would play ready golf as dictated by the R&A

Honour is pretty meaningless in medal play and we don’t bother with it unless it’s in Matchplay

Honour in strokeplay should be forgotten about now

D

Deleted member 21258

If people aren't ready I tend to just get up on the tee and tee off, so a lot of the time I have the honour as I am almost always ready to whack the ball :eek::D

I am all for ready golf myself.:thup:

D

Deleted member 18588

Absolutely agree with Ready Golf.

Cannot understand why people get so hung up about "the honour" in medal play.

Seems to be purely an ego thing with some.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do like letting the player with the honour tee off first. if he is faffing about then we won't wait and just tee off in any order.

In regards to order. We dont even think abut it really after the person with the honour has teed off first.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In a medal, with people I don't know we would play honour and in that instance it would be B,A,C . However if I'm player C or A and B is not ready on the next tee I would ask him if its ok for me to go.

In a knockout match, would always play 'honour' and never ready golf.

With people I know, we play 'ready golf'.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To answer the OP question I would agree with you, however we do tend to go with who ever is ready. Unless it's with people I don't know.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Honour for matchplay only for obvious reasons.
Ready golf any other time.
Most people don’t do the honour thing right anyway on the first tee. Some seem to think it’s the lowest capper first! I don’t like teeing off on the first on the first hole!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If everyone does uses that order of precedence I would just go along with it.

I also strongly believe when playing ready golf you allow the person with the honour to relinquish it if they aren’t ready to play.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm all for ready golf, as above if the person with the honor is ready then they can go for it, if not, then whoever is ready gets to go.

I know some people get put out if they can't tee off first if they have the honor, like having the honor makes you special or something, I really couldn't give a hoot.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play ready golf amongst our group(s)
Or , if maybe somebody is hitting shorter club off tee than the driver that every body else might be using, then they go

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a medal, player a has the honour, player b goes second & player c goes third. They score 5, 4 and 5 respectively. The order on the next hole is b, a, c. Just about everyone in my club would say that player a goes to the back of the queue because he lost the honour. I've given up arguing about this. I showed one guy the rule & he still interpreted it the wrong way. What do you do? Rule 10-2 is perfectly clear.

At ours a will still hold his place but as most folks have said , ready golf now takes precedence.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the honour is that important, get your butt to the next tee pronto! I couldn't care less about who goes first, and it's interesting that most seem to be the same, but there's still a long way to go to embed the 'ready golf' culture.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the 2019 proposals:

 Because the order of play is central in match play, if a player plays out of turn, the opponent may cancel that stroke and make the player play again.

 But in stroke play, there is no penalty for playing out of turn, and players are both allowed and encouraged to play “ready golf” – that is, to play out of turn in a safe and responsible way for convenience or to save time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In answer to the actual question, places I've been at have always done: player who loses the honour, a, goes to the back.

We are recommending ready golf at our place but I'm not sure how willing everyone will be to give up 'the honour'. It will take a while I suspect as most I have spoken to look blank when it is raised.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In answer to the actual question, places I've been at have always done: player who loses the honour, a, goes to the back.

We are recommending ready golf at our place but I'm not sure how willing everyone will be to give up 'the honour'. It will take a while I suspect as most I have spoken to look blank when it is raised.

That's how I've always played it but we're usually happy to play ready golf especially in damp, cold winter conditions. Somehow you don't mind a few extra moments hanging about when it's blue sky and nudging 30 degree C

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be precise I would go by the Rules of Golf.

We also play ready golf in all stroke play format games.

Nice to see that this will also change in match play from 2019, provided both sides agree.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I look at it the other way round; having the honour simply enables everyone to know who should be ready to play initially from the next tee!

Maybe the wording should be changed from one associated with ownership to one of responsibility?