Medal play - the honour

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We dont do honour after the 1st in our own group
If im wth strangers i will abide by it unless told it ok to do otherwise
To answer OP i would say BAC.. A loses honour to player B's 4 but as player C only matched his score he is still ahead of him .

Common misconseption is lowest handicap tees off first on 1st tee .

for me this is true for comps where player are named on the sheet - first named on sheet goes first; second, second; third, third

In casual/roll-up golf we play lowest handicap first

Cue_147

Hacker
Visit site
In a medal, with people I don't know we would play honour and in that instance it would be B,A,C . However if I'm player C or A and B is not ready on the next tee I would ask him if its ok for me to go.

In a knockout match, would always play 'honour' and never ready golf.

With people I know, we play 'ready golf'.

Totally agree with this, but...

Competition rounds are mostly slow going with all the TV pros on the course... so sometimes ready golf isn't needed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know why the focus has gone onto ready golf when your question isn't about that?
I agree with you, that's how I've always played it and always will.

Strange how the RandA are advocating ready golf yet still have rule 10-2!!!!

The essence of Ready golf will form part of The Rules of Golf with the revised rules 2019 and playing 'out of turn' is specifically a part of the 'order of play rule' new rules 6.4.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
When I play with mates, we often just keep the same order off the tee. As I carry I am usually quickest to the tee, so go first, and one chap takes for ever to get himself ready, so we put him off last. Other two fill in. Seems to work as each player knows his position so less faffing about. Generally if the first person teeing off is quick, rest follow. I often tee off when they are still chatting away, as it doesn't bother me.

Regards the honour, I have always gone on the basis that it would be b,a,c. Never come across player that loses honour goes to the back automatically.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In casual/roll-up golf we play lowest handicap first

This is something I have always disliked. Play with me and I insist we toss for order of play. I see it as higher handicaps trying to gain advantage by steadying first tee nerves.

Trouble is I have often seen this 'spill in' to competition play.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ready golf doesn't work........................if you have to wait 10 mins on every tee.
As for first tee order........stand in a circle and throw a tee up. Whoever it points to when it lands tees off first.
During the round, if someone has the lowest score, it's good manners to give them the honour in my old fashioned opinion.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I play mostly in mixed comps/groups and therefore the honour becomes pretty meaningless anyway, since the guys tee off before the girls for geographical reasons anyway. So ready golf most of the time. Honour is kept if someone insists, of course, but it is really rare that I played with someone who cared much.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the OP situation, I’d say BAC, if A and C are tied then the order from the previous hole should decide order of play.

however, in the group I play in, if you’re not ready and someone else is, they will tee off regardless of who has the honour.

onlybreally important in match play, in stroke play ready Golf should be encouraged

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ready golf doesn't work........................if you have to wait 10 mins on every tee.

Ready golf only works when the whole field are playing it. That said, if your playing ready golf and the group in front are not, you will soon find yourself standing next to them on the tee. If the course is clear, they should then invite you to tee off and head off in front of you so maybe the penny will drop one day!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ready golf only works when the whole field are playing it. That said, if your playing ready golf and the group in front are not, you will soon find yourself standing next to them on the tee. If the course is clear, they should then invite you to tee off and head off in front of you so maybe the penny will drop one day!

I love your optimism but sadly in my experience that doesn't always happen, especially in comps and indeed I've even had the group in front moan that we were playing too quickly

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love your optimism but sadly in my experience that doesn't always happen, especially in comps and indeed I've even had the group in front moan that we were playing too quickly

When I play with my dad if the course behind is empty and we are on the heels of a group we slow ourselfs down and just play slow golf..

sometimes being played through is the worst

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I play with my dad if the course behind is empty and we are on the heels of a group we slow ourselfs down and just play slow golf..

sometimes being played through is the worst

I will do the same. However if you're in a comp and gaining ground there's not much that can be done, particularly if the group in front are oblivious to the problem. If I'm on my own and the course behind is empty I'll usually chip and putt and let the group in from tee off and play their second.