Medal play - the honour

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is so special about having 'the honor', match play aside?

I mean does any really care that strongly they would feel slighted if they didn't get to tee off first?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its amazing how many dont moan about the honour having been "stolen" off them again when told they can keep their honour if they dont faff about for ages leading to slow play :)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never really experienced people being genuinely fussed about it to be honest - as in getting wound up.

If anything tends to be more people being overly polite. The quintessentially British, "after you old chap, it's your honour" type scenario.

Ready golf is where it's at.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
We dont do honour after the 1st in our own group
If im wth strangers i will abide by it unless told it ok to do otherwise
To answer OP i would say BAC.. A loses honour to player B's 4 but as player C only matched his score he is still ahead of him .

Common misconseption is lowest handicap tees off first on 1st tee .

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Why not extend 'The Honour' to every shot then..?

Player A has hit a decent approach shot into the green to 10 feet while player B has hit his difficult greenside bunker shot to 15 feet. While player B is raking the bunker, why shouldn't player A putt out.. under stroke play rules?

Ready golf.. Why not..?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not extend 'The Honour' to every shot then..?

Player A has hit a decent approach shot into the green to 10 feet while player B has hit his difficult greenside bunker shot to 15 feet. While player B is raking the bunker, why shouldn't player A putt out.. under stroke play rules?

Ready golf.. Why not..?

he would in the groups i play in

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nearly always play ready golf, none of my usual partners care less who tees off first.
sometimes in a comp I come across the odd person who insists on honour, then I can’t be bothered to argue. Sometimes in a Stableford comp this also brings up whether the player that scored more points on he last hole gets he honour or the lowest stroke score... I really don’t care. If they insist I tee first I just do as they want as I’m usually ready first anyway.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Answering MiB - yes, b,a,c.
b had the lowest score so goes "the front". But c needs to have a lower score than a to go ahead of him.

But as everyone else has said, ready golf rules ...

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in a medal, player a has the honour, player b goes second & player c goes third. They score 5, 4 and 5 respectively. The order on the next hole is b, a, c. Just about everyone in my club would say that player a goes to the back of the queue because he lost the honour. I've given up arguing about this. I showed one guy the rule & he still interpreted it the wrong way. What do you do? Rule 10-2 is perfectly clear.

I don't know why the focus has gone onto ready golf when your question isn't about that?
I agree with you, that's how I've always played it and always will.

Strange how the RandA are advocating ready golf yet still have rule 10-2!!!!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ready golf is all well and good but the Honour soon comes back into force when everyone is not so ready on a windy par 3 where club selection is tricky.

D

Deleted member 18588

Me? No

Lots of older golfers brought up with the system, Yup, you betcha.

Rubbish!

In my experience it's those who have come to the game in recent years who are reluctant to accept Ready Golf. They are also the slowest and due to TV coverage of the pro's game think that 4 hrs 30 represents a swift round.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the honour is that important, get your butt to the next tee pronto! I couldn't care less about who goes first, and it's interesting that most seem to be the same, but there's still a long way to go to embed the 'ready golf' culture.

Most certainly is - 99% of the replies will be people saying they play ready golf but as with golf clubs there are always the ones that believe in the honour and will stick to it regardless of the possible affect it will have the field and the pace of play. The ones wanting to stick with honour will be the ones who dont mind slow play

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rubbish!

In my experience it's those who have come to the game in recent years who are reluctant to accept Ready Golf. They are also the slowest and due to TV coverage of the pro's game think that 4 hrs 30 represents a swift round.

It might be rubbish at your course but not at mine. 40 years of playing with the honour takes a good bit of 're-education. Hopefully we will make progress on this during the season.

D

Deleted member 18588

It might be rubbish at your course but not at mine. 40 years of playing with the honour takes a good bit of 're-education. Hopefully we will make progress on this during the season.

Maybe it's the newer clubs then.

At our club (125 years old) Ready Golf is not a new concept.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to be that if you lost the honour you went to the back of the queue regardless. I think we still do this but I think much of the time it's ready to play who follows player with honour - though only if that's the agreed approach of the whole group.

As it happens I suspect that knowing the order of play on the tee will generally speed things up

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been playing "ready golf" for my whole golfing life.

But honour on the tee is always something I've done. But it is the responsibility of the person with the honour to not mess about and be ready.

I think in medal play it is important, as in a real sense you are playing against your playing partners.

As for the original post, I absolutely agree with the OP.

The honour is just based on the gross scores, if tied then you go back to the previous holes. As far as I know anyway