Matfen Hall, any good?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few of us are looking to do a golf weekend at the end of August, originally targeted Slaley Hall but its booked out now.
Matfen Hall is another not far away but not seen or heard much about it.

What like it it? Any other suggestions with hotel and more than 1course no further south than Leeds?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few of us are looking to do a golf weekend at the end of August, originally targeted Slaley Hall but its booked out now.
Matfen Hall is another not far away but not seen or heard much about it.

What like it it? Any other suggestions with hotel and more than 1course no further south than Leeds?
Moogie used to be a member so worth messaging him. I have played Matfen and like it. I can't comment on the hotel. It gets overlooked up here, they seem keener on promoting it as a wedding venue than a golf destination but don't let that put you off. The golf course does not get neglected, by the way, always in good condition.

Have you looked at Close House? There were some deals knocking around for there during Masters week, they may still have them.

Rockcliffe only has one course but it is a very nice set up and there are other courses close by so whilst it is a compromise it is only a slight one.

Another minor compromise suggestion, Linden Hall. Very nice course, could be one of the best in Northumberland if they tried a little harder. Only one course on site but my course, Burgham Park, is a mile or two away only. They actually back onto each other at one point but the entrances are nowhere near each other.

I was toying with suggesting Ramside Hall but one of the courses, The Cathedral, is pretty unpopular with most who have played it so I have deliberately not mentioned it, although I am aware I now have :LOL:.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moogie used to be a member so worth messaging him. I have played Matfen and like it. I can't comment on the hotel. It gets overlooked up here, they seem keener on promoting it as a wedding venue than a golf destination but don't let that put you off. The golf course does not get neglected, by the way, always in good condition.

Have you looked at Close House? There were some deals knocking around for there during Masters week, they may still have them.

Rockcliffe only has one course but it is a very nice set up and there are other courses close by so whilst it is a compromise it is only a slight one.

Another minor compromise suggestion, Linden Hall. Very nice course, could be one of the best in Northumberland if they tried a little harder. Only one course on site but my course, Burgham Park, is a mile or two away only. They actually back onto each other at one point but the entrances are nowhere near each other.

I was toying with suggesting Ramside Hall but one of the courses, The Cathedral, is pretty unpopular with most who have played it so I have deliberately not mentioned it, although I am aware I now have :LOL:.

Close House have no available dates either. seems like the cancellation of holidays abroad have obliterated bookings at hotels across the country.

I will look at your other suggestions, thanks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are not entirely wedded to the idea of a two course site you could also look at staying at Alnmouth GC, they have dormy houses. Good course and they will set you up with a second course as they have links with other nearby clubs. https://www.alnmouthgolfclub.com/golf-breaks/packages

You can stay at the club in the evening or go down into Alnmouth, a lovely village on the coast.

Ignore this if you really want a hotel & 2 course set up.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great set up
Great location
The hotel, restaurant, spa/gym etc.... All top class

Golf course
3 good loops of 9
Driving range
Par 3 course
Very informal, relaxed clubhouse, that offers good food and drink at very reasonable prices too
No rip off resort prices in the clubhouse

Big thumbs up?

Kraxx68 and Hacker Hughes are members there too

I believe its a favourite local venue of forum member Jensen and Maninblack always speaks highly of it too

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great set up
Great location
The hotel, restaurant, spa/gym etc.... All top class

Golf course
3 good loops of 9
Driving range
Par 3 course
Very informal, relaxed clubhouse, that offers good food and drink at very reasonable prices too
No rip off resort prices in the clubhouse

Big thumbs up?

Kraxx68 and Hacker Hughes are members there too

I believe its a favourite local venue of forum member Jensen and Maninblack always speaks highly of it too

Is it a fixed 18 from the 27 or can you play differing combos?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Rockcliffe is, in my opinion, the best course in the area. Only 18 holes but in immaculate condition. My club played a match down there last week & everyone agreed that it was outstanding. Lovely layout, you wouldn't get bored playing it more than once.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

The starting 18 varies from week to week
The 3rd loop kicks in from about 1015am onwards

Hard to explain in written text
But it's possible to play all 3 loops on 2 diff days

For example

If you played 1 day in the morning
The next day about lunch time
You'd have a different start hole/course

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The starting 18 varies from week to week
The 3rd loop kicks in from about 1015am onwards

Hard to explain in written text
But it's possible to play all 3 loops on 2 diff days

For example

If you played 1 day in the morning
The next day about lunch time
You'd have a different start hole/course

That's what we intend but slightly the other way round. Later on the Friday, Earlier on the Saturday and just whenever on the Sunday then head home.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hope this makes sense

3 loops of 9
A..B..C

So if A and B is the course for the week
Course A would be start point
Taking bookings from 7am until 12 noon

Then bookings start on C
The spare nine
To play course C and A
From 1020am until about 4pm iirc

Hope that makes sense

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hope this makes sense

3 loops of 9
A..B..C

So if A and B is the course for the week
Course A would be start point
Taking bookings from 7am until 12 noon

Then bookings start on C
The spare nine
To play course C and A
From 1020am until about 4pm iirc

Hope that makes sense

Yeah, that makes sense. So if we were after 1200 on the Friday then it would be C and A. Then on the Saturday if we were 1100 then it would be A and B. Then on Sunday we could choose which ever?

Are there any other decent courses nearby, that would be, say a 10-20 min drive away?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hexham is nice. Ponteland is within range but I haven't played it. I believe it is okay but no more.

Moogie can probably help again as he will know the distances. Moogie, how about the courses in Gosforth? The Bridlepath, Gosforth GC, would be a nice day 3 course I think. Would City of Newcastle be any good?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, that makes sense. So if we were after 1200 on the Friday then it would be C and A. Then on the Saturday if we were 1100 then it would be A and B. Then on Sunday we could choose which ever?

Are there any other decent courses nearby, that would be, say a 10-20 min drive away?

If you're doing fri--sun
I'd suggest if you wanted to play a different venue, then do that on the friday
Most local courses will be real busy with club comps on the Saturdays and Sundays.

Nearby
You have Hexham, highly recommend
Then ponteland
Both within 20mins drive

Close house is only about 6 or 7 miles away from matfen, but very pricey for green fees if you haven't hit on a deal, or a voucher
Others to consider within 25mins or so drive, tyneside, westerhope, Newcastle united.....

Or maybe play a course on the way down
Plenty of choice there
Many not too far off the A1
Like Bamburgh, Burgham Park, Morpeth, Bedlington (great value), Arcot hall

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Matfen really is top class, it's my favourite in the North East. Great set up. Personally I prefer what was the original 18 holes which I imagine is loops A&B.
Another decent course is The George Washington Country Club in Washington Tyne & Wear.
I would certainly agree with Lord Tyrion , his place Burgham Hall is a very good course

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Matfen really is top class, it's my favourite in the North East. Great set up. Personally I prefer what was the original 18 holes which I imagine is loops A&B.
Another decent course is The George Washington Country Club in Washington Tyne & Wear.
I would certainly agree with Lord Tyrion , his place Burgham Hall is a very good course

Same as you the original 18 is fantastic

George Washington isn’t great imo

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you are not entirely wedded to the idea of a two course site you could also look at staying at Alnmouth GC, they have dormy houses. Good course and they will set you up with a second course as they have links with other nearby clubs. https://www.alnmouthgolfclub.com/golf-breaks/packages

You can stay at the club in the evening or go down into Alnmouth, a lovely village on the coast.

Ignore this if you really want a hotel & 2 course set up.

Now we are talking

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is there a reason the Catherdral gets unpopular reviews? It looks not bad but hard to tell from pictures alone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a reason the Catherdral gets unpopular reviews? It looks not bad but hard to tell from pictures alone.
I've only played it once, not long after it opened. It was long and some of the holes were plain unfair. I spoke to one of the assistant pro's there and they struggled to break par there, it was too tough. If they can't.................

The other course is a very good hotel, golf trip course. Good fun, a decent test but it wont beat you up. I think they wanted a very different alternative, something to boast about. Problem is they went a bit too far and they made a course that most amateurs didn't enjoy.

I went back the following year to play the Prince Bishops course and spoke to a member. He said first year the corporates, the societies all wanted to play the new course. That year they returned to the other course, they didn't want to play the cathedral again. I've heard that repeated by charity day organisers and the like. People wouldn't return to that course if the event was on it.

I haven't played it since so I don't know if they have made amendments to it, whether the course has developed more.

If you are all single figure players then you may fancy the challenge but I think there are better alternatives for you .