Matchplay tactics

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Do you play the man or the course?

• Total voters

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Thats ridiculous money!!

Seriously, competitions with prizes like this are going to drive absolutely crazy handicap manipulation? Arent they?
Our h/c Comm got cold feet after pushing winners prize money to £75 for 1 week, because of the perception it would encourage cheating and h/c manipulation. That was complete hog-wash but £4k, that would deffo bring out the worst in some...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It just doesn't seem to.

The prize fund is a mix of entry fees, and auction money. As a pair, you get auctioned, and then you can buy in up to 33% each from your purchaser. Because you can sell for anything between 100 and 1200 (may be more) in the auction, the bigger the bandit, the higher the entry fee. If you don't get any pay back til last 16, and you could be 400 plus entry out of pocket, easy as, if you lose in an earlier round.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats ridiculous money!!

Seriously, competitions with prizes like this are going to drive absolutely crazy handicap manipulation? Arent they?

Probably Dinner [Club] Matches where members can gamble on the outcome of arranged games when they are all roaring drunk on port and kummel.
Popular at Muirfield [foursomes] and the RAC [4bbb]. Basically it is a book run by the Club Match secretary and members gamble [buy and sell pairings] on the outcome of individual games or a KO result.
You can 'buy' [bd for] your pairing or anyone other.
On a much lesser scale I once got to a final of one game, someone at the dinner had bought our drawn pairing for a fair sum and we lost....a bit awkward.
Frowned upon by the R&A but not breaking any rules.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
It just doesn't seem to.

The prize fund is a mix of entry fees, and auction money. As a pair, you get auctioned, and then you can buy in up to 33% each from your purchaser. Because you can sell for anything between 100 and 1200 (may be more) in the auction, the bigger the bandit, the higher the entry fee. If you don't get any pay back til last 16, and you could be 400 plus entry out of pocket, easy as, if you lose in an earlier round.

So in effect you could just enter for your registration fee and let the high rollers do what they like? Seems like banditry is the absolute least of the potential match fixing that could go on there...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So in effect you could just enter for your registration fee and let the high rollers do what they like? Seems like banditry is the absolute least of the potential match fixing that could go on there...

No, because you don't get any return unless you buy in.
Yes, you can still play, and ruin someone elses day, and make bin loads for your buyer, but you win zip.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
No, because you don't get any return unless you buy in.
Yes, you can still play, and ruin someone elses day, and make bin loads for your buyer, but you win zip.

Yeah I understand it. Any time there's that much money sloshing around in amatuer sport I've got an issue with it. Its mine and mine personally, so you can carry on as you see fit.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have the same sort of competition every year - it’s a great competition , well supported and certainly never been any match fixing or manipulation

I have done well from it a few times

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah I understand it. Any time there's that much money sloshing around in amatuer sport I've got an issue with it. Its mine and mine personally, so you can carry on as you see fit.

I stopped playing in it a few years ago, despite having done OK, because when push comes to shove, my view is it should be banned.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The guys who prefer singles matchplay, in my experience, are bad losers. It’s an ego thing. They don’t like stroke play comps coz they may have to put down an 8, 9 or 10 on their card for all to see. They’d rather NR. This is particularly low handicappers. Think about it and you’ll all know who they are in your club (or look in the mirror!). ?

You’re right in respect of that particular opponent is a notoriously bad looser. Re the mirror comment, I’d rather play an enjoyable game and lose than a tactical unenjoyable game and win .....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably Dinner [Club] Matches where members can gamble on the outcome of arranged games when they are all roaring drunk on port and kummel.
Popular at Muirfield [foursomes] and the RAC [4bbb]. Basically it is a book run by the Club Match secretary and members gamble [buy and sell pairings] on the outcome of individual games or a KO result.
You can 'buy' [bd for] your pairing or anyone other.
On a much lesser scale I once got to a final of one game, someone at the dinner had bought our drawn pairing for a fair sum and we lost....a bit awkward.
Frowned upon by the R&A but not breaking any rules.
We have same run once a year. Call it the Auction Foursomes. All entered attend dinner the evening before at which a random draw is made for pairs. Members form syndicates and bid for each pair in an auction. The pot is shared between the winning pair, plus those in the frame, and the syndicates that backed them - with winnings shared pro-rata to the size of the bids backing the winning pairs. Never played in it as it feels that it could get expensive as I believe each member of a syndicate has to put in an equal share of the syndicates bid...and that’s fine if you can afford it.