Matchplay tactics

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Do you play the man or the course?

• Total voters

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I am three down with four to play I tell myself that the match is still there to be won, not that I can play to my handicap over the final four holes.

That said I absolutely do not play any mind games by vocalising my thinking. I did it once on the 18th green at Hindhead in an inter-club match. Last out I was level playing the last and I had to win my match for us to win overall. I holed my putt and my opponent had a 3footer for the half and so to half our match and half overall. I told my teammates at the side of the green that my opponent had to hole his putt or I'd win the match. My opponent would have heard - he missed the putt then gave me a bit of a glare...rightly so. I had got carried away - I did it as I topped my tee shot on the 1st and hadn't cleared the tee - everyone had laughed...fair enough. But my comment on the 18th was not appropriate. I had never said such before, and I won't do it again.

Note: I most certainly play mind games with gimmes :)

Not sure I agree. Your mistake was to tell your team-mates. I'd have told him to his face - "So, this for a half then ..." Then watched him putt.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If I am three down with four to play I tell myself that the match is still there to be won, not that I can play to my handicap over the final four holes.

That said I absolutely do not play any mind games by vocalising my thinking. I did it once on the 18th green at Hindhead in an inter-club match. Last out I was level playing the last and I had to win my match for us to win overall. I holed my putt and my opponent had a 3footer for the half and so to half our match and half overall. I told my teammates at the side of the green that my opponent had to hole his putt or I'd win the match. My opponent would have heard - he missed the putt then gave me a bit of a glare...rightly so. I had got carried away - I did it as I topped my tee shot on the 1st and hadn't cleared the tee - everyone had laughed...fair enough. But my comment on the 18th was not appropriate. I had never said such before, and I won't do it again.

I'm sure he knew the situation, nothing wrong with mind games as long as you stay within the spirit of the game.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

I have days when I can struggle with short putts and our opponents in a 4BBB match knew that and even though this particular day wasn't one of those, and I was holing everything, they gave me nothing.

I left my partner to deal with the gimme's, and he gave them everything........ until 17. The lad who had been most vocal in ensuring that I putted everything out had a 3 footer and all of a sudden it wasn't given, which caught him out a little, but he holed it for the win. On 18 his partner had a putt inside two feet to win the hole and half the match, neither of us said a word, just stood and stared at him. It was the first time he'd had to hole anything and sure enough he missed. Oh how we laughed.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have days when I can struggle with short putts and our opponents in a 4BBB match knew that and even though this particular day wasn't one of those, and I was holing everything, they gave me nothing.

I left my partner to deal with the gimme's, and he gave them everything........ until 17. The lad who had been most vocal in ensuring that I putted everything out had a 3 footer and all of a sudden it wasn't given, which caught him out a little, but he holed it for the win. On 18 his partner had a putt inside two feet to win the hole and half the match, neither of us said a word, just stood and stared at him. It was the first time he'd had to hole anything and sure enough he missed. Oh how we laughed.
Years ago in a 4bbb match I refused to give our then club champion a 18 inches putt across a slight slope, he missed it and we went on to win the match.
I didn't feel the least bit guilty, the guy was an arrogant A hole , from start to finish. The memory still makes me smile.:love:

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Match play is always about playing the man. You could go shoot six under par and think I whooped the course, but if your opponent shoots seven under you loose. Matchplay is win the hole with just one shot less than your opponent regardless of the par for hole. The old saying “ you can’t ever win if you don’t beat the players in your four ball “ is something I use a lot regardless of what we play, that way ur mind set is good for match play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure he knew the situation, nothing wrong with mind games as long as you stay within the spirit of the game.
In match play I don’t believe I should make any comment about a shot an opponent is to play unless I am giving him a putt or he asks the situation re the status of where we are in the hole. And so I simply wouldn’t tell an opponent that he had his putt for a win or a half. He knows. He doesn’t need to be told. His putt is his business and none of mine, though whether it is holed or not clearly is.

4LEX

Visit site
I love it. My matchplay record is pretty strong.

Obviously I'm not playing elite tour pros but the key is being very steady. I hit most fairways, don't give holes away and keep the pressure on. Once someone realises they're going to need something special to beat you, you've already won. Doesn't matter how you start, class will tell over 18 holes. I think mentality is key, I go in expecting to win, a lot of players when they see you're a low handicap expect to lose.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I hate singles match play, and avoid like the plague. Some of our boards are a top 16 after a medal, and then match play. I have always given a walk over, as I would rather not play it.

4bbb, fine. Play it all the time.

Really?! I really enjoy a bit of hand to hand combat. A three ball is even better because if you're losing to one you can go after the other.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I love matchplay! In our 4 ball now we each play 3 x 5 hole matches against the other players. 2 points given for a win, 1 for a draw 0 for a loss. After 15 the two with the most points go into a 3 hole match for the win. With strokeplay then head to head results determining the winner if all-square (or "tied", for our American cousins) after 18.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Would always play the course, I avoid gamesmanship like the plague.

As for opponents trying to fudge a rule or make remarks to "get in your head". Ive had loads of "I should get a drop from here" and "I always play this as ground under repair". "I dont give gimmies". I once had a really good county player ask if I breathed during my backswing, which was a crap heckle when I first heard it as an 8 year old..... If your main goal isnt to try and win by proving that your best is better than my best, then for me its not even a match.

Which goes further if its handicap and all we're proving is that your current form is better than my current form, why not just toss a coin...

I absolutely dread when someone is described as "formidable match player" or similar, it nearly always means they're going to be a child all the way round. I dont even get any extra buzz from the win, because I just see it as a round of golf that was less fun than it could have been.

Its actually not until I reread this post I realised I dont like matchplay very much!! I could probably just have said that and sounded less bitter!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of my favorite formats. I voted the man; only because you have to beat them, not the course as you could double bogey every hole and still win if your opponent tripled everything - you ain't beating no course double bogeying eveything are you?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Really?! I really enjoy a bit of hand to hand combat. A three ball is even better because if you're losing to one you can go after the other.

Yes. It goes against every thing I think golf is about. It is 4 hours spent playing serious, miserable golf, probably with no chat (or worse, pathetic fake banter), and to fit it into my schedule I would have to give up playing a fun 4 ball with people who I like playing with. I am too old to waste my leisure time playing a format I know I don't like.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Match play is always about playing the man. You could go shoot six under par and think I whooped the course, but if your opponent shoots seven under you loose. Matchplay is win the hole with just one shot less than your opponent regardless of the par for hole.

Yeah its always fun having to walk off a green and say to your opponent "halved in eight"....both of you must be thinking what the bloody hell did I do there!!!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Yes. It goes against every thing I think golf is about. It is 4 hours spent playing serious, miserable golf, probably with no chat (or worse, pathetic fake banter), and to fit it into my schedule I would have to give up playing a fun 4 ball with people who I like playing with. I am too old to waste my leisure time playing a format I know I don't like.
I feel the same way about Texas, foursomes & greensomes so I understand what you mean. I've been lucky & met some nice people when I've played in club knockouts.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My only matchplay ‘head game’ tactics are to do with gimmes. On greens 1-4 18” putts are generally straightforward, on greens 5-7 the same length is often tricky - therefore I will give 18” or less putts on 1-4 because things get tricky...not going to give my opponent opportunity to get his eye in on that length ?

D

Deleted member 21258

Normally the course, unless they are OOB are similar, then would play safe.

Otherwise try to get as many birdies as possible, play aggressive, as I would normally play.