Matchplay tactics

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Do you play the man or the course?

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

It's matchplay in the WGC this week so that age old question, do you play the man or the course?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I voted man.

You always play the course.

Love matchplay. As long as said man isn’t a bandit who gets 14 shots and needs 2. That sucks. Scratch is the best, limited to few opportunities so relished all the more.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vey hard question to answer. I am with Imurg you play each shot based upon the circumstance of that shot. If you tee off first you are playing the course if you are teeing off second with the opponent having gone OB you are probably basing your shot on what he has done.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Play the opponent.

I love matchplay as the psychology is completely different to traditional strokeplay.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vey hard question to answer. I am with Imurg you play each shot based upon the circumstance of that shot. If you tee off first you are playing the course if you are teeing off second with the opponent having gone OB you are probably basing your shot on what he has done.
I voted man but this is what I generally do. ^^^^^
I have won our club scratch and handicap KOs twice each so it must work. ?
it also helps if you like singles match play.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That's playing the man.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hate singles match play, and avoid like the plague. Some of our boards are a top 16 after a medal, and then match play. I have always given a walk over, as I would rather not play it.

4bbb, fine. Play it all the time.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm too mentally weak to play the man in an overt way.

I play the course, on the basis that my primary objective is to shoot the lowest round I can as that gives me the best chance of winning. Albeit with a slightly less risk averse strategy than I would if playing a medal.

However, my shot selection would be influenced by the situation on that hole. If I have extra shots due to my opponent going OOB, I'd take a more cautious approach to make sure I capitalise, and equally if it's me that needs to claw back a shot or two, I might be more aggressive. But I'd very much say I'm playing the course as what I do is within my control and what my opponent does isn't.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've always preferred match play to stroke play, more tactics and mind games involved, watch and play the man., when to give a putt or not , when to fart or cough rattle coins in your pocket or not:love:. The course can't hear and doesn't care a jot.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AAC

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've always preferred match play to stroke play, more tactics and mind games involved, watch and play the man., when to give a putt or not , when to fart or cough rattle coins in your pocket or not:love:. The course can't hear and doesn't care a jot.:ROFLMAO:

I agree, if I hole a long putt and my opponent is left with a tricky 6 footer I like to run right up to them and do a big fist pump while saying loudly "Yes!".

(When I say loudly I don't mean shouty, that would be poor etiquette.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I am three down with four to play I tell myself that the match is still there to be won, not that I can play to my handicap over the final four holes.

That said I absolutely do not play any mind games by vocalising my thinking. I did it once on the 18th green at Hindhead in an inter-club match. Last out I was level playing the last and I had to win my match for us to win overall. I holed my putt and my opponent had a 3footer for the half and so to half our match and half overall. I told my teammates at the side of the green that my opponent had to hole his putt or I'd win the match. My opponent would have heard - he missed the putt then gave me a bit of a glare...rightly so. I had got carried away - I did it as I topped my tee shot on the 1st and hadn't cleared the tee - everyone had laughed...fair enough. But my comment on the 18th was not appropriate. I had never said such before, and I won't do it again.

Note: I most certainly play mind games with gimmes :)

Last edited:

birdyhunter

Visit site
I agree, if I hole a long putt and my opponent is left with a tricky 6 footer I like to run right up to them and do a big fist pump while saying loudly "Yes!".

(When I say loudly I don't mean shouty, that would be poor etiquette.)

I like to establish the boundaries early in match play.. if my opponent has a 2 footer to finish then I like to fold my arms, look them straight in the eye and say "I've seen better players miss those".

That always sets the scene for an enjoyable round ;):ROFLMAO: