Matchplay tactics

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Do you play the man or the course?

• Total voters

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love match play and always play the man.

I have had some memorable games.
5 up with six to play and winning at the 19th.

6 up at the turn at Muirfield and holing a 6 footer on our last [9th green] to win.

6 down after 7 and winning 2/1 in a 4BBB match.
I told my nervous young beginner of a partner on the 8th tee. We can win this as we are now playing 5 holes into the wind. He was seriously impressed.

The most memorable match being a 36 hole final of a club scratch KO.
Fabulous game both playing really well tight game and each rounds which completed in under 2.5 hours.
Lost on the last hole after being the dodgy 2up with 5 to play having never been a hole down.

DTF you're 100% right, you just can't beat a 4 bbb match play between good friends.
I've lots of great memories and some I'd rather forget, but they keep reminding of the odd defeat years later :p
But IMHO 4bbb match play is still the most enjoyable format in the game of golf.:love:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, if I hole a long putt and my opponent is left with a tricky 6 footer I like to run right up to them and do a big fist pump while saying loudly "Yes!".

(When I say loudly I don't mean shouty, that would be poor etiquette.)

That is where we differ, I would see that as a sign of weakness [insecurity].
I would calmly pick the ball out of the hole without showing any emotion whatsoever, as if I was not surprised that I had holed the putt.

Cockney

Visit site
DTF you're 100% right, you just can't beat a 4 bbb match play between good friends.
I've lots of great memories and some I'd rather forget, but they keep reminding of the odd defeat years later :p
But IMHO 4bbb match play is still the most enjoyable format in the game of golf.:love:
Yep . Nothing comes close.

Cockney

Visit site
I agree, if I hole a long putt and my opponent is left with a tricky 6 footer I like to run right up to them and do a big fist pump while saying loudly "Yes!".

(When I say loudly I don't mean shouty, that would be poor etiquette.)
But rattling coins and coughing is not?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve never been one for silly tactics or loud comments and ive always done well in singles match play, more so every match we’ve both walked off having a good game. I can remember one match play game where it was so close within 1 at all times ( I lost on the last ) that the opponent said “ do you want to void that match and play it again.

Our golf did the talking, got shots into par 3 or pitches, of big drives were all acknowledged with a smile by the player, if it was an easy straight forward 18incher it was a given, if it was a slippery 2ft’er that was 50/50 it was played.

As murph has said matchplay singles can be a horrid game if you walk off the third feeling you’re playing the opponent and his mind games, that’s two against one in my eyes. I had a difficult game with someone who was a someone I played with regular and after the 4th tee it was clear tactics were in his bag as a 15th club so I made a straight comment “ let the golf do the talking and not your mouth and snide comments, it’s single not me against you and your ego” the match tightened up a lot for that point and was more enjoyable for both.

Last edited:

Leftie5.6

Visit site
I’ve never been one for silly tactics or loud comments and ive always done well in singles match play, more so every match we’ve both walked off having a good game. I can remember one match play game where it was so close within 1 at all times ( I lost on the last ) that the opponent said “ do you want to void that match and play it again.

Our golf did the talking, got shots into par 3 or pitches, of big drives were all acknowledged with a smile by the player, if it was an easy straight forward 18incher it was a given, if it was a slippery 2ft’er that was 50/50 it was played.

As murph has said matchplay singles can be a horrid game if you walk off the third feeling you’re playing the opponent and his mind games, that’s two against one in my eyes. I had a difficult game with someone who was a someone I played with regular and after the 4th tee it was clear tactics were in his bag as a 15th club so I made a straight comment “ let the golf do the talking and not your mouth and snide comments, it’s single not me against you and your ego” the match tightened up a lot for that point and was more enjoyable for both.
The guys who prefer singles matchplay, in my experience, are bad losers. It’s an ego thing. They don’t like stroke play comps coz they may have to put down an 8, 9 or 10 on their card for all to see. They’d rather NR. This is particularly low handicappers. Think about it and you’ll all know who they are in your club (or look in the mirror!). ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Go on then. I'll bite.

Singles matchplay isn't for everyone. To enjoy it you need to be confident you can beat your opponent. You call it ego, others may call it confidence. Obviously higher handicappers cannot be confident in their abilities, as they don't possess them.
Players with a weak metal game will struggle too.

4BBB and the Stableford formats were invented specifically for the players who fold like a cheap suit at the first sign of pressure, like thought of playing a medal of the back tees, or going toe to toe against another individual.

These players are east to spot. They are the ones who tell you their stableford points when you ask them what they shot.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Go on then. I'll bite.

Singles matchplay isn't for everyone. To enjoy it you need to be confident you can beat your opponent. You call it ego, others may call it confidence. Obviously higher handicappers cannot be confident in their abilities, as they don't possess them.

4BBB and the Stableford formats were invented specifically for the players who fold like a cheap suit at the first sign of pressure, like thought of playing a medal of the back tees, or going toe to toe against another individual.

These players are east to spot. They are the ones who tell you their stableford points when you ask them what they shot.
I have no problem with singles match-play - I’ll guess I play friendly singles matchplay a dozen times + club singles KO comps. But I’ll play more singles stroke play with a card in my hand from the back tee. And that is when (as you say) the juices really flow and your game is tested. move won plenty of singles matchplay but that doesn’t mean a thing compared with shooting low enough to getting a cut. My no. 1 goal is getting my h/c as low as I can. Matchplay is like one day cricket and stroke play is a test match. Love them both but testing yourself comes out on top for me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Go on then. I'll bite.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The big comp at my club is 4bbb matchplay, and there is no room for weakness. The guys who make the quarters are playing for proper money, and there is plenty of pressure.
My partner and I lost our semi on the 21st hole, when there were 4 figure sums at stake. Only one of our previous rounds was settled within the 18, and one went to the 25th. I don't think anyone folded, it was just tough.
I am not a big fan of playing for silly money, but the winning pair in this tournament walk off with about 4k each.

D

Deleted member 3432

I don't necessarily agree with this. The big comp at my club is 4bbb matchplay, and there is no room for weakness. The guys who make the quarters are playing for proper money, and there is plenty of pressure.
My partner and I lost our semi on the 21st hole, when there were 4 figure sums at stake. Only one of our previous rounds was settled within the 18, and one went to the 25th. I don't think anyone folded, it was just tough.
I am not a big fan of playing for silly money, but the winning pair in this tournament walk off with about 4k each.

Do the winners not forfeit their amateur status with winnings of this size?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Thats ridiculous money!!

Seriously, competitions with prizes like this are going to drive absolutely crazy handicap manipulation? Arent they?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

4BBB may be one of the majors at your club. But you still have a partner to lean on. I've had some great 4BBB matches and won a lot of prizes at opens in the format. It just doesn't get the juices flowing like singles matchplay or a medal.

Personally I find the prize on offer irrelevant and I've never been all that bothered about my handicap. I don't currently have one.

I've only ever really been interested in my gross score no matter what the actual format is supposed to be. I would always treat every shot the same, regardless of whether I was playing in a club major or on my own on a Sunday evening. As that to me, is the proper test of golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love singles matchplay for the challenge - yes the win is great...however...when I am giving shots I know I must focus on playing to my handicap or better or I risk getting stuffed...when I am getting shots I know I must use them well - or I risk getting stuffed. In either scenario I know I can win if I manage my golf. In some ways I find playing a match with no shots given or received the hardest to play.