Matchplay and most likely score for handicap

wjemather

Visit site
As we've seen (repeatedly) in these threads, it wouldn't be well received (especially by certain people).

There are a great many players in GB&I who remain attached to the notion that handicaps should only be based on individual stroke play competition scores. These same people are usually the first to complain about frequently seeing apparently unattainable exceptional scoring in match play and team formats, but they still steadfastly refuse to entertain the idea that these formats could contribute to the handicap calculation.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
As we've seen (repeatedly) in these threads, it wouldn't be well received (especially by certain people).

There are a great many players in GB&I who remain attached to the notion that handicaps should only be based on individual stroke play competition scores. These same people are usually the first to complain about frequently seeing apparently unattainable exceptional scoring in match play and team formats, but they still steadfastly refuse to entertain the idea that these formats could contribute to the handicap calculation.
I have suggested on here in the past that match play should be used in handicap calculations and been shot down for it.

D-S

Visit site

Or maybe some of them have seen the effect ‘matchplay and team golf derived‘ handicaps have on the integrity of handicaps.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Or maybe some of them have seen the effect ‘matchplay and team golf derived‘ handicaps have on the integrity of handicaps.

Can you explain this one? Most people I see moaning about matchplay is because they've had to play someone off 18 who's been 3 over after 12 holes etc.

Surely including these scores would offer more integrity to the handicaps those who don't play a lot of strokeplay comps?

Not a dig BTW I'm genuinely interested in what affect it may have.

D-S

Visit site
Can you explain this one? Most people I see moaning about matchplay is because they've had to play someone off 18 who's been 3 over after 12 holes etc.

Surely including these scores would offer more integrity to the handicaps those who don't play a lot of strokeplay comps?

Not a dig BTW I'm genuinely interested in what affect it may have.
It is the estimating nature of the strokes made that opens everyones’s handicap to manipulation.
This is the rule when you don’t hole out in matchplay or team play and as you can see it requires players to estimate the difficulty of the shot, the skill of the player and the distance from the hole. These factors mean that in reality you can post a score higher or lower than your your ability and can move your HI up or down with even greater ease.
In reality this ends up with many people with handicaps that are not genuine which questions the integrity of the system.
If you have played a lot in the states you will be aware of the scepticism of the handicaps of any golfer you don’t know, throwing many handicap tournaments into disrepute.
If the ball lies on the putting green, and is no more than 5 feet (1.5 metres) from the hole:Add one additional stroke.
If the ball lies between 5 feet (1.5 metres) and 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:Add 2 or 3 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.
If the ball lies more than 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:Add 3 or 4 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

Reactions: sjw

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I read it correctly the assumption is that it is more than likely that a player will hole out from 5ft or less. Really? I guess the argument is that it would be the same for everyone, but that seems to ignore the skill and temperament (mental strength) that is required to hole short putts - things that many golfers never develop and not very many almost master - as much as they can be mastered.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
It is the estimating nature of the strokes made that opens everyones’s handicap to manipulation.
This is the rule when you don’t hole out in matchplay or team play and as you can see it requires players to estimate the difficulty of the shot, the skill of the player and the distance from the hole. These factors mean that in reality you can post a score higher or lower than your your ability and can move your HI up or down with even greater ease.
In reality this ends up with many people with handicaps that are not genuine which questions the integrity of the system.
If you have played a lot in the states you will be aware of the scepticism of the handicaps of any golfer you don’t know, throwing many handicap tournaments into disrepute.
If the ball lies on the putting green, and is no more than 5 feet (1.5 metres) from the hole:Add one additional stroke.
If the ball lies between 5 feet (1.5 metres) and 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:Add 2 or 3 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.
If the ball lies more than 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:Add 3 or 4 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

The only objection I have to your objection :) is that I play a lot of 9 hole rounds and the computer system estimates the number of strokes I would have made had I played another nine. Actually, I object to my objection and would prefer the American method of adding two nine hole rounds together. At least I would have played the holes.

D-S

Visit site
The only objection I have to your objection :) is that I play a lot of 9 hole rounds and the computer system estimates the number of strokes I would have made had I played another nine. Actually, I object to my objection and would prefer the American method of adding two nine hole rounds together. At least I would have played the holes.
Couldn't agree more - seems imminently sensible to me.

Springveldt

Visit site
If I read it correctly the assumption is that it is more than likely that a player will hole out from 5ft or less. Really? I guess the argument is that it would be the same for everyone, but that seems to ignore the skill and temperament (mental strength) that is required to hole short putts - things that many golfers never develop and not very many almost master - as much as they can be mastered.
They obviously haven't seen me putt, I missed 5 putts from within 5 foot at the weekend.