Mark Sampson

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky were reporting that he has not been subject to a gagging order and he had not received a golden handshake, just the remainder of his contract.

If it was gross misconduct he would get nothing. How long is the rest of his contract? They have started qualifying for the 2019 world cup now so it would make sense for him to be contracted until the end of that tournament. If they paid to the end of his contract that is 2 yrs pay in your hand now. If not a golden handshake it is certainly a very decent one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This isn't my understanding of it, Brian.

I'm reading it as they've gone back and read in more detail and decided that while there is no legal wrongdoing, he has acted in a way that isn't up to their standard morally.

Until we find out what he did, it's hard to know. The natural assumption is that he's had some sort of relationship with a player(s).
That suggests they could not be bothered to read their own inquiry report properly.

Thats really poor from the FA.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the FA are lucky if he goes quietly. Whether they read it or not, it would hard for the FA to argue that they were not legally deemed to be on notice of the report and its contents and had made the appointment taking that into account. To then use that as a reason for dismissal would be pretty suspect grounds. Taking into account damage to reputation, likelihood of future employment etc, this could cost the FA millions.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Reports have suggested his contract has been paid off. If that is the case then he has presumably agreed to go based on getting the pay off. Had he been sacked for gross misconduct his contract would have been terminated instantly, no pay off and then he could have sued. This is an agreed departure designed to be as painless as possible for all parties.

If that is the case that he's accepted his contract to be paid off then I would question why If he's got nothing to hide.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to a tribunal can be expensive, very public in this case, and not much fun. I guess the FA made him the offer, told him he could go with his head up and a decent reference, for what that is worth in the circumstances. He has weighed up the damage and cost of going to court and decided to take the money. If I was him I would now be looking at coaching abroad and let the heat go down. The FA have deeper pockets than him and a case that gets poured over in the press whilst in court is not going to help his career going forward. Pragmatic decision.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Am I cynic for thinking they totally are blowing all this way out of proportion to try to raise the profile of women's football?

Probably the first time I have ever heard women's football been mentioned in the bar at the golf club. Even when the BBC have been forcing it down our throats with clickbait headlines for years.

no but we have now got to the stage of liberals getting fake outraged over what is a non issue

Says the man who seems to think the whole thing is is concocted publicity stunt.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Going to a tribunal can be expensive, very public in this case, and not much fun. I guess the FA made him the offer, told him he could go with his head up and a decent reference, for what that is worth in the circumstances. He has weighed up the damage and cost of going to court and decided to take the money. If I was him I would now be looking at coaching abroad and let the heat go down. The FA have deeper pockets than him and a case that gets poured over in the press whilst in court is not going to help his career going forward. Pragmatic decision.

According to someone I know who works in employment law, they feel he'd have a very good case, based on the facts in the public domain to date. Whether there is stuff that has remained private that has forced Sampson's hand in another matter. The problem he has though is by taking the money there's always going to an element of guilt attached whether substantiated or not. It's going to make it hard to be employed again and while he has proven himself as a decent coach in the womens game you have to wonder if any club or association will be willing to take the risk and it'll be a case of "no smoke"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why can't the suits at the FA just tell the truth from the start.
This has gone on for months .
They try to hush up anything that might be controversial but the outcome just makes it worse when it all comes out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just don't see what they have to gain keeping it quiet.
Reporters will always get to the truth , It looks worse then.
Just tell us what happens when it happens .
Its a joke
Easier to try and make her look the bad person, have a look back at this thread were people thought she may be out for a payday etc

She’s stuck to her story and kept her dignity, the media were demonising the others that publicly supported her.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's hard to believe a word the FA says now .
Their media people have made a mess of this.
But they looked very uneasy in that MPs enquiery.
But the players came across well.
It should not get to this though it's a joke.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of things from yesterday's enquiry (I have not seen it all, so apologies if I missed something).
Is it me, or is it just a little convenient that the latest report was published on the morning of the Parliamentary hearing?
According to the report, Sampson made a couple of inappropriate comments that were in the eyes of the law unlawful - Equalities 2010 - but he is not racist. Seemingly it was banter which most would accept is stupid. But he wasn't sacked for this as the FA only decided this was true yesterday morning when the report came out. Remember, he was sacked for something he did when he was at Bristol, but as far as I can tell that wasn't even mentioned.
What is very worrying to me is that the government has been complicit in holding an enquiry, hearing evidence from Sampson's accusers and his bosses but have not allowed him the opportunity to put his side of the story. I appreciate that this enquiry was not looking into the sacking in itself, but it was naturally talked about a lot. In any case surely Sampson would have been able to offer valuable evidence to the hearing.
Personally I am amazed there was a Parliamentary enquiry at all, seemingly based on one person's (later joined by a team mate) objection to what now looks like banter. I doubt many other and very probably more deserving cases of racism in the workplace would be granted such an airing. We still don't know why Sampson was sacked and until we do this whole thing will look like a public character assassination.

D

Deleted member 16999

A couple of things from yesterday's enquiry (I have not seen it all, so apologies if I missed something).
Is it me, or is it just a little convenient that the latest report was published on the morning of the Parliamentary hearing?
According to the report, Sampson made a couple of inappropriate comments that were in the eyes of the law unlawful - Equalities 2010 - but he is not racist. Seemingly it was banter which most would accept is stupid. But he wasn't sacked for this as the FA only decided this was true yesterday morning when the report came out. Remember, he was sacked for something he did when he was at Bristol, but as far as I can tell that wasn't even mentioned.
What is very worrying to me is that the government has been complicit in holding an enquiry, hearing evidence from Sampson's accusers and his bosses but have not allowed him the opportunity to put his side of the story. I appreciate that this enquiry was not looking into the sacking in itself, but it was naturally talked about a lot. In any case surely Sampson would have been able to offer valuable evidence to the hearing.
Personally I am amazed there was a Parliamentary enquiry at all, seemingly based on one person's (later joined by a team mate) objection to what now looks like banter. I doubt many other and very probably more deserving cases of racism in the workplace would be granted such an airing. We still don't know why Sampson was sacked and until we do this whole thing will look like a public character assassination.
Here’s a decent link which covers most of the points you missed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...y-racially-abusing-eni-aluko-drew-spence/amp/

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

he was sacked due to what was deemed inappropriate relations with players at Bristol academy.