Wilson Dynapower Irons 6-SW

TheHeron

Visit site
Been playing for almost a year and a half now. Used to play a lot in my teens and got pretty decent at one stage playing off about 12, but I may as well have not played at all when I picked up a club again.

Since starting up again I've gamed a few sets of irons. Nothing particularly new, Ping G25s, Srixon WR's and an ancient set of Wilson muscle backs. I fancied treating myself to a new set and life being what it is at the moment I knew I was never going to be able to justify putting a grand together to throw at a new set, so decided to go the slightly budget game improvement route and set a target of around £600.

After trying a few sets of Cobras, an old set of Stealths, the D9s and Dynapowers, it was obvious the Dynapowers where the right fit for my game at the moment. I've never particularly struggled with accuracy and I can shot shape pretty well (natural shape is a draw), but distance has always let me down. I have a fairly average CHS of around 80, sometimes up to 84 on a good day but that's been increasing with lessons steadily and with taking that into consideration the fitter put me in a DG 105 S300 shaft. He put a few different fancier shafts in but the numbers never really changed significantly.

Got hold of the irons yesterday (ironically exactly the same as been fitted for but £200 cheaper on FB marketplace with only 2 rounds in them...) and went straight to the range for a gapping session. Went really well. The stiffer shafts going to take me a while to grow into I feel. The flight on poorer strikes was straight but not my usual height at apex. Those strikes averaged the same distance as my previous set (Srixon WRs), but the purer strikes had a beautiful flight too them. Not stupidly high but a beautiful arcing flight with a touch of draw. With those better strikes my average carry with a 7 was around 165yrds, gapping between 10-15 for each club.

My only issues is the factory fitted Wilson grips. Don't feel as grippy as Lamkins and they're far too thin for me having been playing with jumbos for the past year.

Planning on getting to a course later this week where it really matter. Will report back then with my findings!

TheHeron

Visit site
Put a few rounds through the weapons now and have to say I'm very pleased. Listed a few pros and cons below to save me rambling on.

Pros:

Forgiveness
- Poor strikes still provide poor results, but generally speaking there'll be no significant shape to a toey pull or a heeley push.
Distance - Obviously with this being a big muscle back iron you're going to gain distance, but even shot a little off center will 'fizz' with that satisfying feel and sound off the face and man, do these things GO.
Flight - I've come to really like the trajectory of these irons. It's penetrating enough with the longer irons and just high enough with the wedges to stop quickly enough when you need it to.
Sound and feel - They're not as 'snappy' or 'crackly' as you'll get from some higher end forged irons, but they still provide enough feedback for me to identify exactly where it is I've hit the ball off the face.

Cons:

Clean strikes
- Catching these clean at times can sometimes cause the ball to really jump off the face and whilst it's initially satisfying, seeing it fly the green with zero spin can get a little disheartening.
Factory grips - Just don't feel premium enough I'm afraid, it's as simple as that.