Malky Mackay

D

Deleted member 15344

So why not just use the word Scottish then rather than the derogatory term?

Because until someone on here suggested it I have never been told it is a derogatory term and have heard it being used for over two decades.

Should we all now use Irish , Welsh ,Scottish , Liverpudlian , Londonder instead of terms like Paddy ,Taff , Jock , Scouser , Cockney ?

Are they no longer affectionate terms to describe people from that area ?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because until someone on here suggested it I have never been told it is a derogatory term and have heard it being used for over two decades.

Should we all now use Irish , Welsh ,Scottish , Liverpudlian , Londonder instead of terms like Paddy ,Taff , Jock , Scouser , Cockney ?

Affectionate. :rofl: do yourself a favour will you. Ask anyone on the receiving end of your affection to find out what they really think of it.

Once someone says they find it offensive is that not enough for you or should they just be thankful that you are being "affectionate" towards then :rolleyes:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
But its still racist/homophobic/xenophobic.

& if it's between mates & no one is offended in the group it's also banter.
Maybe not to you Chris,but to a lot of people it is.
Obviously you & many others don't agree with this but lots of people do it I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 15344

Affectionate. :rofl: do yourself a favour will you.

Once someone says they find it offensive is that not enough for you or should they just be thankful that you are being "affectionate" towards then :rolleyes:

So when someone says it's offensive that's it then - it must be classed as such ?

My mother gets called a paddy - she doesn't find it offensive

My future father in law gets called big paddy - he doesn't find it offensive

My best mate get called Jock Robbie he doesn't find it offensive -

So who is right and who is wrong ?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
So when someone says it's offensive that's it then - it must be classed as such ?

My mother gets called a paddy - she doesn't find it offensive

My future father in law gets called big paddy - he doesn't find it offensive

My best mate get called Jock Robbie he doesn't find it offensive -

So who is right and who is wrong ?

Obviously you. as you are never wrong. :rolleyes:

How came you got so upset over the use of the term "chinky" but when a Scotsman tells you he finds the term jock offensive its no big deal? Do you just post/change your opinion to argue?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The main point I was making was Phil thought Malky Mackays messages were disgusting but he freely accepts using the term Jock as acceptable, a tad hypocritical in the least.

Or are these terms only disgusting for nationalities outwith the British isles?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The main point I was making was Phil thought Malky Mackays messages were disgusting but he freely accepts using the term Jock as acceptable, a tad hypocritical in the least.

Or are these terms only disgusting for nationalities outwith the British isles?

Are you seriously disgusted when someone calls you a Jock and do you really see Paddy as offensive?

If so precious does not even come close.

Jock? Really?

Jesus Christ almighty...............apologies to anyone who is overcome with disgust at me using the Lords name in vein.

This place just keeps getting worse,it really does.

I'm out.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some precious folk on here mind.

Anyway, I am off to order a takeaway from the Chinky's and settle down to watch the Tims this weekend.
Sorry Dodger you can't say that anymore, you should say I'm off to order my ethnic carry oot and watch the Tic.

P.S. i'm just back from playing golf with a host of ex Celtic stars today at a charity event.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you seriously disgusted when someone calls you a Jock and do you really see Paddy as offensive?

If so precious does not even come close.

Jock? Really?

Jesus Christ almighty...............apologies to anyone who is overcome with disgust at me using the Lords name in vein.

This place just keeps getting worse,it really does.

I'm out.

Nope, not disgusted but I don't particularly like being called it by a stranger

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Cockney is a different category!

People like you make me sick ;)

Too much MSG! :whistle:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some precious folk on here mind.

Anyway, I am off to order a takeaway from the Chinky's and settle down to watch the Tims this weekend.

Problem with this is that your local corner shop run by a Pakistani family certainly used to be commonly referred to in Glasgow as the 'Paki's' - where as for 'Chinky' the term actually relates to the shop or restaurant premises rather than those who run the place. Minefield.

Reason for this is quite clear I think. Until I'm guessing the mid-80s the only ethnic communities in Glasgow of any size were the Pakistani and Italian. They were quite discernable from the rest of the Scottish public. So for your corner shop you often went down to the 'paki's' - or if the cafe you'd go to the 'tally's'. Neither had any racist connotations whatsoever. And then the south Asian ethnic communities started to grow and other non-indigenous communities arrived and grew. And maybe today the country is struggling rather more than it used to in maintaining it's proud non-racist view on life and communities living in Scotland.