Malky Mackay

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you need it explained again Phil or are you being deliberately ignorant?

Call a stranger Jock and I'd say you're being racist in the same way you may call a Chinese person chink.

My post was aimed longer for a more general view as opposed to just yours which im fully aware off.

I have spoken a few of my former colleagues above the border and not one would consider it racist

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a read recently about a guy who was charged and convicted of racially abusing Andy Murray - because he wrote on notices etc - Scottish and Jock nob ( no doubt harsher words were used ) - so has that cleared it for every nationality to be classed as a race ?

If it's the incident/conviction I remember, the charge/conviction was 'Racially Aggravated Criminal Damage' and the reference to Murray was only one of several incidents - so may not have been the particular 'racist slur' that caused that conclusion.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My post was aimed longer for a more general view as opposed to just yours which im fully aware off.

I have spoken a few of my former colleagues above the border and not one would consider it racist

You use a key word there, colleagues. These words may be tolerated within that type of circle but shouldn't be used to strangers

D

Deleted member 15344

You use a key word there, colleagues these words may be tolerated within that type of circle but shouldn't be used to strangers

Will reword it

They don't consider people using the term "Jocks" to describe Scottish people ( stranger etc etc ) as racist.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's all I'm context as I keep telling you, i find it unacceptable to have a stranger refer to me as jock as do many Scottish people I know.

Unacceptable is different to racist - very different

Yes it might be over familiar and people might not like to be called jock etc and some might find it offensive

But sorry don't ever believe it can be classed a racist

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'll keep you company unless you object to an old Jock keeping a old Pom/ Sassenach company.

We might even get some Paddys or Taffies to join us . We seem to be the only 4 races with nicknames nowadays.:whistle:

Oi! Less of the Pom/Sassenach jibes. I am an older Jock than you, albeit from the more genteel East side of Scotland.

Do you need it explained again Phil or are you being deliberately ignorant?

Call a stranger Jock and I'd say you're being racist in the same way you may call a Chinese person chink.

:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8094716.stm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So if it's not racist what is it?

If used to offend someone then it's offensive or insulting

I would use it as an "affectionate or pleasant way" to call Scottish people

In the same way as Scouse or Paddy or Taff

Last edited by a moderator:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If used to offend someone then it's offensive or insulting

I would use it as an "affectionate or pleasant way" to call Scottish people

In the same way as Scouse or Paddy or Taff

So I have this right, a word used in a derogatory fashion to offend someone by describing their race or nationality is not racist?

Are you for real?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
People are too thin skinned nowadays no matter what colour the skin is, far too quick to pull out the race card .
i take no offence at all being called a Jock unless you say that fat Jock B ,then of course that's racist even though two out of the three names are correct . :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

So I have this right, a word used in a derogatory fashion to offend someone by describing their race or nationality is not racist?

Are you for real?

Just as I wouldn't call being called an "English bleep" racist

As the article someone has posted - I believe there should be clear differences between race or regionalism or nationalities.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
People are too thin skinned nowadays no matter what colour the skin is, far too quick to pull out the race card .
i take no offence at all being called a Jock unless you say that fat Jock B ,then of course that's racist even though two out of the three names are correct . :rofl:
Spot on mate. People actually look for things to be offended by & complain about.
If the worst thing in your life is hearing a "derogatory"term you should think yourself extremely lucky.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

As the article someone has posted - I believe there should be clear differences between race or regionalism or nationalities.

:rofl:

You are a funny guy, how can you compare the word English to the word Jock.

You are clutching at straws. The word English isn't an offensive word for being English

D

Deleted member 15344

:rofl:

You are a funny guy, how can you compare the word English to the word Jock.

You are clutching at straws. The word English isn't an offensive word for being English

We are going round in circles

We have both been through all this before and when I posted what I did I was hoping for others to post

You don't like the term jock - fully explained your position hence why i won't call you a jock etc

Pin-seeker

Visit site

But obviously calling some one from say Pakistan a "....bleep" is racist.
What's the difference????
Didn't you have a go at Homer for referring to Chinese takeaway as a chinky? Homer wasn't using it in a derogatory way.
Can't see this thread lasting much longer.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

So why not just use the word Scottish then rather than the derogatory term?