Making friends on holiday

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don’t know if Ave mentioned it but am on holiday. ? I would never of booked this holiday in a million years for me and Missis T but it was for the grandsproggs and they have loved it. Pirates village Santa Ponsa. Aaaaaarrrrrr
Anyway through the kids we have met some Fantastic people. What is surprising is they have asked me to send them Friend requests on Facebook. Ironically just said Cheerio to a guy from Leeds who has a best mate who lives a mile from my golf course and I pass his house to get to the course. He has said it has prompted him To ring his mate and come Down and us all Meet up, kids and everything. Ave met folk in the Caribbean, Bali, etc who I keep in touch with. So have you met any good pals you keep in touch with from Any of your Hols.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to pass the time of day with someone on holiday but nothing more than that. We have never looked for friends on holiday, not our thing. Great for those who do, just not us.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chat with people at the bar but no more than that. Happy to pass the time with other people but don't want to be meeting up every day, going for dinner etc and very rarely keep in contact after

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good grief no! :eek: As above, we tend to keep ourselves to ourselves and also don't have kids.

If you play golf overseas with your wife, chances are you'll get put with another couple. Met some interesting folk, always have lunch and a drink after, have even taken emails and helped non uk folk book golf trips here, but that's about it.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Appears to be a very 'Valleys' thing but always end up bumping into people from a neighbouring town or valley and acting with amazement. No kids so just a polite conversation and that's the end of it.

My mother does still exchange Christmas cards with a couple they met on holiday in the late 80s who had kids the same age as me. I'd have given that up a long time ago

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would add that I was brought up in and around village pubs where you talk to anyone and everyone in the bar so the hotel/resort bar is pretty much the same. Not looking for friends for holiday or life just the norm to chat with fellow drinkers

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I made great friends on golfing holiday in Majorca back in 1981, guys from Bathgate GC.
Still great friends with all of the survivors, sadly getting fewer every year.:cry:

D

Deleted member 1740

Don’t know if Ave mentioned it but am on holiday. ? I would never of booked this holiday in a million years for me and Missis T but it was for the grandsproggs and they have loved it. Pirates village Santa Ponsa. Aaaaaarrrrrr
Anyway through the kids we have met some Fantastic people. What is surprising is they have asked me to send them Friend requests on Facebook. Ironically just said Cheerio to a guy from Leeds who has a best mate who lives a mile from my golf course and I pass his house to get to the course. He has said it has prompted him To ring his mate and come Down and us all Meet up, kids and everything. Ave met folk in the Caribbean, Bali, etc who I keep in touch with. So have you met any good pals you keep in touch with from Any of your Hols.

Did he mention keys and a bowl??

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From age 8-19 we went to same holiday camp on the Isle of Wight

Ended up being friendly with the staff but also with a group of others who's parents got on with mine

They arranged to go same time as each other

2 weeks every summer about 15 kids plus parents meeting up

My sister went to one of the others wedding couple years ago

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time the wife and I went to Cape Verde we met a couple on a delayed honeymoon. Their from Lancashire, We aren’t. Im used to talking to people I don’t know with my work. Casual chat turned into friendly chat and joking.Since we first met them, we’ve met up away about 4 or 5 times,they came to my eldest daughters wedding, weve stayed at theirs and they’ve had a Christmas with us. Me and he have very similar senses of humour, you’d think we were brothers.
i consider him one of my best friends.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Quote from Tibetan Buddhism:
"All worldly pursuits have but the one unavoidable end, which is sorrow: acquisitions end in dispersion; buildings in destruction; meetings in separation; births in death."
Usually attributed to a Tibetan saint called Milarepa who went on to say that to avoid future pain you should avoid meetings in the first place.

You are likely to disagree but the reason has only relatively recently been explained and much is down to evolution. We are not meant to be perfectly physically and mentally sound for long.
Just think about it. How many friends have you had in the past? How many of those do you still see?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quote from Tibetan Buddhism:
"All worldly pursuits have but the one unavoidable end, which is sorrow: acquisitions end in dispersion; buildings in destruction; meetings in separation; births in death."
Usually attributed to a Tibetan saint called Milarepa who went on to say that to avoid future pain you should avoid meetings in the first place.

You are likely to disagree but the reason has only relatively recently been explained and much is down to evolution. We are not meant to be perfectly physically and mentally sound for long.
Just think about it. How many friends have you had in the past? How many of those do you still see?
No point in dieting if we’re not gonna be around for long ?