Oh the times they are a changing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Since I retired a couple of years ago I had retirement planned out to a tee.
Golf Tues and Thurs. a bit of me time.
Season ticket for City wi Missis T and young Bradley T.
Holidays.
Have the grand kids occasionally.
Life was sweet

Since Missis T retired in July, it just seems the last few months have gone massively tits up. Daughter is getting divorced and it's painful. We have the grandkids a hell of a lot more than we planned to. Don't regret it one bit but I/ we don't have that energy we had 30 yrs ago. In that time daughter has gone into the police firearms which were more than chuffed about but there is still worry about her role, especially with recent terrorist events.
Yesterday we took young lad tash to Manchester airport as he has gone to Australia for 9 months. There were a few tears shed at terminal one. Missis T got through a few tears of mother dew as well. The house is quiet. God knows who I can argue with now.
Missis T is on a bit of a downer at the mo but she will get through it. Ave told her he's happy so she should be. she said she is but will miss Mothering him.
its got that bad that I am even thinking of joining Facebook to keep in touch. Just seems that the last few months the control we had in our lives has just kinda got out of control.
Anyone else been in a similar position where you just have to kinda " roll with it".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's called life Tashy. It doesn't work in a regimented way. As long as you are all healthy and your kids / grandkids are happy, that is all you can ask.

Does your missus have any hobbies? It may help her to join a few groups and keep busy. My retired mum "has never been busier".

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My daughter and 4 grand kids moved to Tenerife 10 years ago, i do visit quite often, but i also use Facebook and messenger a lot.
Great for keeping in touch, anytime night or day also face to face if you wish, so tell the missus not to worry. :thup:

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think there's some of the reasons in there why I've bottled retiring...
At least four days a week I can go off to work to forget all the woes of domesticity...

I love my family beyond anything else but I am not sure I am ready for it 24/7 just yet...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm 53. I might be able to retire at 55, but certainly aiming for not much later!

My wife plays golf. That solves many issues. No kids either, but in lieu of that we both have aging widowed mums that are both 2 plus hours drive away...

Life has taught me , however much you plan, something can still throw you a curve ball... so "roll with it" is both sensible and more common that you might imagine

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Didn't go the way we planned it, either, Tash. Just have to make the best of it & accept that it's better than working. Please join Facebook, you'd brighten up my days & it's a great way of keeping in touch with folks.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Inappropriate but Eisenhower said "No plan survives contact with the enemy.."!

Same here, retired and now too much to do for everybody else. Time flies by ever quicker it seems.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Inappropriate but Eisenhower said "No plan survives contact with the enemy.."!

Same here, retired and now too much to do for everybody else. Time flies by ever quicker it seems.

^^Nicked from Helmuth.

Retirements great. Congrats to young Tash for getting out into the world.

Best wishes to to the new recruit to the Firearms unit, could be the safest job in UK now.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
^^Nicked from Helmuth.

Retirements great. Congrats to young Tash for getting out into the world.

Best wishes to to the new recruit to the Firearms unit, could be the safest job in UK now.

True and probably nicked from Aristotle.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Think there's some of the reasons in there why I've bottled retiring...
At least four days a week I can go off to work to forget all the woes of domesticity...

I love my family beyond anything else but I am not sure I am ready for it 24/7 just yet...

There's a woe to domesticity? The work gets in the way of moderating those woes. My wife is my bestest friend. We still hold hands when were out walking. We talk on the phone a few times a day, whilst I'm at work. We both enjoy window shopping and seeing the kids. There's things we do totally separately, which we both talk about but rarely do together.

74 working days to retirement, and the start of a whole new raft of adventures. Canada and the Rockies, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, China and the Great Wall. The bucket list will be severely attacked.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cheers boys, re myself I do have things to do and retirement was a whole lot better than work. re Missis T she loved her nursing job but it was getting to political for her and she had got to the stage where she has had enough. But, and I told her she had to have things on the calendar. It is a bit lacking at the mo. Gonna ba an interesting few months and the carribbean cruise cannot come soon enough.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know in the first 3 years of quitting work I wondered how I ever found the time to actually work.

There were quite a few things that were planned that never got done. Even the caravan sat on the drive unused for two years.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Skype/Facetime etc are great for keeping in touch, We have a Son and three Grandsons in Chicago but talk face to face every week, when we met up it seems like we have never been apart.

Machines rust away quicker than they wear out, keep mentally and physically active. When I first retired at 60 I spent a year playing golf, traveling, doing DIY etc but missed the contact with people. I got a part time job working for National Trust for a few years which I really enjoyed and have worked part time for a Golf Club the last five years. Really enjoying it. This may not be for everyone but I do recommend doing something that keeps the gears turning.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I closed my business and sort of retired 3 years ago while HID continued working In a school. After sorting out the closure of the business which took some time, I realised that daily contact with people had gone and I was at home and waiting for a double glazing phone call just to speak to someone in the day time. So, 2 years ago I took some part time book keeping work and now my life balance is wholly better and the wages pays for my golf membership and runs my car etc