Maintaining spine angle - Drill or exercise

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I am after an drill or exercise to help me maintain my spine angle. For obvious reasons my best shots are when I manage to do so but I feel that it is something that slips as I get tiered or think about other things.

Is there a drill I can do to make this very natural. I have put a little move in my pre-shot to remind me but I find that makes it very conscious and I don't like swing thoughts.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

Alex

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Practice swinging with your butt against a wall, and make sure (a part of) it stays there throughout the swing. Unless you have a low wall you can't use a full size club though.

It's one of my faults too so if anyone has a different drill I'd be happy to hear it as the one above has never done me any good.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I was told (because I have a similar problem), to stand on a down slope, so if I was addressing a ball it would be well below my feet.

Apparently when you take a practice swing from this postion you will naturally 'stay down' because you are compensating for the lower position of the ball. This should help to develop the feel.

Did that make sense or did I explain that really badly?

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

And I guess we are looking to maintain it all the way though the hitting aria but then have to let it go through follow though? or all the way though follow though?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was it Jack Grout Nicklaus credited with his baldness from gripping his hair when practicing? A less painful way is to have someone hold a club with the grip end slightly above your head and that'll give you some feedback (if you're standing up). It depends on the cause but sometimes the loss of angle can be down to the right knee straightening (what's the song the knee bones connected to the hip bone, connected to the spine bone ...). Another thing worth consideing is your coil, sometimes peopel will turn there their upper thoracic spine more than the lower (it is possible and you may feel it around the sternum if you want to check if it's happening) and it may be beneficail to feel it more in one piece even if it means swinging a little shorter. I was taught the backswing is about 6" long (think how far your shoulders move).