Exercise

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is it good for you or bad for you?
Looking at the Queen's pallbearers brought to mind a Mark Twain quote.
"I take my only exercise acting as a pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercised regularly".
He went on to say - "Exercise is loathsome, it cannot be any benefit when you are tired" and "Pushing 60, that is enough exercise for me".

Yet we are now led to believe just the opposite.
My call is that the benefits of exercise are way overstated with a very real chance it's bad for you.
Well known is the man who appeared to start the jogging craze, Jim Fixx collapsed and died of a heart attack while out jogging aged 52.
Also Donald Ritchie who completed ultramarathons. Developed diabetes aged 51.
I have observed several people who I never saw jogging or cycling living well into very old age and being relatively healthy.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just move house, loads of surveys have suggested it is better to llive in the countryside down than in a northern city. I left Barnsley over 30 years and I am still alive now :LOL:

Coming from the suburbs, in the Midlands, what does that mean for my longevity - pretty average?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
"I take my only exercise acting as a pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercised regularly".
He went on to say - "Exercise is loathsome, it cannot be any benefit when you are tired" and "Pushing 60, that is enough exercise for me".

My call is that the benefits of exercise are way overstated with a very real chance it's bad for you.
Well known is the man who appeared to start the jogging craze, Jim Fixx collapsed and died of a heart attack while out jogging aged 52.
I have observed several people who I never saw jogging or cycling living well into very old age and being relatively healthy.
Conclusive evidence right there ?

Well-being is good for you in any form
wether it’s mental or physically.
Personally my mental state is always better when I’m physically active.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it's good for you but knowing your limits is important. I am falling foul of this at the moment. Still trying to play football 2 or 3 times a week, but I struggle to get up the stairs without one of my knees buckling. I'll be knocking it on the head soon I think. Have recently taken up table tennis with the wife which I think is closer to the level of activity I should be looking at. ?

HPIMG

Visit site
Overall having a good fitness level and regularly exercise must be so beneficial but probably like most things theres there’s ways it can be bad for you.
I recently went to a chiropractor for a sore neck and tight lower back and was going over my daily routine. The chiropractor was telling me to stay off the treadmill there horrendously bad for your joints especially as you get older. I am only 40 by the way he was saying get on the cross trainer or rowing machine for my cardio.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

But, also well known, amongst others, is Mike Fremont - 100 years old and still running marathons.

Picking out individuals as illustration is a pointless exercise .

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
But, also well known, amongst others, is Mike Fremont - 100 years old and still running marathons.
Reference please.
If true and upon presentation of his birth certificate, he would be a global celebrity.
From his images it appears he is advantaged by being a small person, so his heart has less work to do relative to the mass of his body.

People who live well into old age are more likely to get there because their body area is small.
Their internal organs are likely to be less stressed than those of big people.
Their blood can circulate better. Exercise is easier for them. It doesn't mean to say exercise or diet is the thing keeping them alive longer.
The body like anything else is subject to entropy (disorder) and it's the ultimate reason why we are certain to die.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My grandad (Now 96 years old) ran the London marathon 4 times, along with many many other marathons and ultra marathons including 100 mile races. He used to run to work, run at lunchtime with the work club, then run home. He did about 12-15 miles a day for about 30 years. He also continued to play full contact rugby until the age of 76 (He played second row and refused to wear red/purple shorts (indicating not to tackle))