Exercise

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm pretty sure there are examples of people who have done no exercise die before old age? And, a lot of them probably did not have the most comfortable lifestyle. There was one extreme story where a chap had to be lifted out of his house using a crane. Personally, I think exercise (along with a better diet) might have helped him live a more fulfilling life.

So, you post is a long way of convincing me that exercise is a bad thing. Perhaps extreme exercise, or careless exercise is a bad thing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's a big difference between taking regular brisk exercise and running lots of marathons. Most things taken to excess are unhealthy.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be honest I find it a really odd topic/ post on a golf forum. Why ? well we are all golfers on here I would imagine including the poster. So the benefits of golf.

Quote.
If you walk 18 holes three to five times a week, you'll get an optimal amount of endurance exercise for your heart. If you pull your clubs or carry them, you'll burn even more calories each round and benefit even more. Playing golf regularly can help you: stay fit.
Thats is readily available online.
So it begs the question, is it really a serious question. If the benefits of playing golf for mental and physical well being need to be explained and argued against. Why play golf.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you walk 18 holes three to five times a week, you'll get an optimal amount of endurance exercise for your heart.
Please reference this quote.
If you pull your clubs or carry them, you'll burn even more calories each round and benefit even more. Playing golf regularly can help you: stay fit.
Agreed. However all I ever see these days are caddy cars, trolleys and powered trolieys. Hardly anyone now carries their own clubs. No doubt it's a status thing at private courses. Why lug your own clubs when you can have them lugged for you. Great business for pro shops.

'Burn 1400 calories in 18 holes by carrying your own clubs.' is a poster I once saw outside a course. No reference was given, and it soon got taken down probably when the pro realised it could cost him money.

So it begs the question, is it really a serious question. If the benefits of playing golf for mental and physical well being need to be explained and argued against. Why play golf.
I used to play a bit of tennis and squash, but the ball was always coming back at me. That's why golf wins for me every time.
I remember a TV presenter (Michael Barratt) when taking up golf, and getting to play with Tony Jacklin, saying for the first time in his life he felt relaxed with his attention purely on his golf game.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There's a big difference between taking regular brisk exercise and running lots of marathons. Most things taken to excess are unhealthy.
I like the idea of ultra marathons if it means jog - taxi - jog.
Or how about HIIT (high intensity interval training)? Just 1 minute 3 times a week for health after reaching complete exhaustion.
Or how about being an iron man? 3 mile swim, 100 mile bike ride, marathon run, all in the space of 8 hours.

Think I'll choose the first one. 1 mile jog. 78 miles in a taxi, 1 mile jog.

Swango1980

Visit site
I like the idea of ultra marathons if it means jog - taxi - jog.
Or how about HIIT (high intensity interval training)? Just 1 minute 3 times a week for health after reaching complete exhaustion.
Or how about being an iron man? 3 mile swim, 100 mile bike ride, marathon run, all in the space of 8 hours.

Think I'll choose the first one. 1 mile jog. 78 miles in a taxi, 1 mile jog.
My work colleague did a double iron man a few weeks ago. 4.8 mile swim, 224 mile cycle and then 2 marathons. He won the event with a time of 27 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds. He's also done a deca iron man and won that, which is an iron man every day for 10 days.

He is in his 50's now, and usually has 2-4% bodyfat (he was measured the lowest body fat of everyone measured at the London Marathon a few years back. He probably is a freak of nature, but got to half a century and counting.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
My work colleague did a double iron man a few weeks ago. 4.8 mile swim, 224 mile cycle and then 2 marathons. He won the event with a time of 27 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds. He's also done a deca iron man and won that, which is an iron man every day for 10 days.
Yes, but can he touch his toes without bending his legs?
Reminds me of the decathlete Daley Thompson who wrote an article on being fit for life in a Sunday newspaper, then later admitted he couldn't touch his toes.
So get your friend to demonstrate as I think this is actually quite valuable.
Can he also do the sitting rising test (videos available), as I think this is very valuable.
The 5 Tibetan Rites are also a real challenge.

There is the question that a release of energy may be harmful to the immune system.

Hard work never did anybody any harm, but why take the risk?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My grandad (Now 96 years old) ran the London marathon 4 times, along with many many other marathons and ultra marathons including 100 mile races. He used to run to work, run at lunchtime with the work club, then run home. He did about 12-15 miles a day for about 30 years. He also continued to play full contact rugby until the age of 76 (He played second row and refused to wear red/purple shorts (indicating not to tackle))

Well done him. That is some list of achievements.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Reminds me of the decathlete Daley Thompson who wrote an article on being fit for life in a Sunday newspaper, then later admitted he couldn't touch his toes.
Can he also do the sitting rising test (videos available), as I think this is very valuable.

There is the question that a release of energy may be harmful to the immune system.

All the "not being able to touch toes" indicates is that you have short ligaments.
No mystique about that!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You really do spout a lot of rubbish :rolleyes:

Swango1980

Visit site

I could barely touch my knees, let alone my toes, since being in primary school. Maybe I exercised too much as a toddler?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
All the "not being able to touch toes" indicates is that you have short ligaments.
No mystique about that!

I’ve never been able to touch my toes and now probably never will due to injuries. I’m just not that flexible, despite doing yoga and a load of other stretching in the past.

Does that mean I’m going to die early?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as you can still see them then there's no problem, it's when you can no longer see them that there's an issue. Your toes are still down there, doing what they do, so why the need to be able to touch them?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As long as you can still see them then there's no problem, it's when you can no longer see them that there's an issue. Your toes are still down there, doing what they do, so why the need to be able to touch them?
Ability to stretch the hamstrings helps promotes healthy legs and spine.
Remember a time when your body could easily flex when you were young?
What is it like now? Ageing begins soon after puberty.

What actually works to reverse ageing? Not exercise.
If someone came up with an answer in pill form that person would make more money overnight than Mr Coca Cola has made in a lifetime.
The brain goes from birth to Alzheimer's in just a few decades and you would need to youth the brain for a start.
Another reason is thermodynamics. No living creature can outrun the 2nd Law. In fact nothing can, it's the supreme law of physics.

Exercise looked on as a magic elixir is just plain wrong.
We did not evolve to exercise.
We did not evolve to walk, but we did walk to evolve, not at any great pace because it took early Homo sapiens over 200,000 years to find their way out of Africa.

It's not harmful to be lazy or to sit. Sitting is not the new smoking.
Sleeping will vary per individual. Some people need more of it.
Hey, do you remember the time when people who had a lie in were labelled as cheats?