Machrihanish the review 2012

T

thecraw

Friday 30th March saw the kick off of the Machrihanish March Madness 2012 trip. A sedate drive by the good Doctor Bunkers had us on the Mull of Kintyre in no time with only a welcome stop in Tarbert for excellent take away coffee and a breakfast roll momentarily halting steady progress.

Refuelled, the next stop was Dunaverty Golf Club at Southend.

Dunaverty is another one of these courses where that often over used term "hidden gem" applies. Hidden away like an ugly sister its often overlooked by the flock of golfers who head with blind determination to Machrihanish Golf Club and the newer Machrihanish Dunes Golf Course to tick off the more glamorous sisters. Dunaverty, a mere 10 miles away is holiday golf, but its a step above holiday golf. A straight forward opening hole gives no indication of the delights that await. I'll not spoil it for you but I will tell you its a must play. The nine GM Forumers who ventured onto the delights of Dunaverty raved about the quality and condition of the course and its safe to say that Dunaverty offered us the best greens of the three days golf.

Machrihanish2012003.jpg

Andy and Bunkers posing for the camera.

Machrihanish2012007.jpg

The 6th hole, a little gem.

Machrihanish2012010.jpg

Andy in full flow!

Machrihanish2012014.jpg

Thecraw trying to will it in!

A full handicap stableford saw forum member Valentino aka Martin Clarke waltz in with a staggering 44 points pipping Bunkers tally of 42 points to walk away with the money.

Golfing done for the day it was a quick drive round to Machrihanish Dunes village to the weekends accommodation. The accommodation did not disappoint, in fact it exceeded all expectations. The rooms were simply stunning.

Machrihanish2012048.jpg

the cottages from the outside.

An evenings entertainment was sought in the Machrihanish Dunes Clubhouse where beer and spirits flowed accompanied by fine music provided by Neil Gibson and Farneyman (Fabian Greenan) on guitars.

Machrihanish2012036.jpg

A gaggle of golfers!

Machrihanish2012042.jpg

A fat-tiger making chips disappear! Just like that!!!

Saturday morning saw us rise bright and early where we were treated not only to a wonderful breakfast in the newly refurbished Ugadale Hotel but also to a fantastic day, sun was splitting the sky and a light sea breeze. A short drive round to Machrihanish Dunes and we were soon teeing off. Blind pairs was the order of the day which saw Sam Smith (Sammmeebee) and Gavin Stewart triumph with 34 and 33 points respectively. Special mention has to go to Graeme Campbell who managed an impressive 41 points with a blob on the first hole. Seven birdies in the remaining 17 holes helped. Don't you hate bandits who play off of 1!!!!

The majority of us headed back out onto the links to take advantage of beautiful weather.

Another night in the Machrihanish Dunes Clubhouse followed suit accompanied by an excellent meal. A hardcore threesome even ventured into Campbeltown to sample the night life.

Sunday morning after breakfast and checkout we ventured across the road to the first tee at Machrihanish Golf Club. A special mention for AMcC (Alan McCaw) and JJF69 (Jon France) who made a 300+ mile round trip to join up on Sunday morning.

Anyway, to cut a long story boring Machrihanish was clearly no where near its best with rather poor greens the result of a very harsh winter. That said there is no doubting the quality of the golf course and the lay out. A testing wind also made the conditions tough. The less said about my golf at Machrihanish the better!!!!

A two way tie on 34 points saw Bunkers who signalled his intent at Dunaverty on Friday pip Sam Smith due to a better back nice. The prize for his efforts was a lovely new Mizuno wedge courtesy of Golf Monthly.

1. Raymond Oliphant
2. Sam Smith
2. Jon France
4. Stephen Renfrew
5. Jezz Ellwood
6. Scott Aikman
7. Martin McAteer
8. Graeme Campbell

Finally I'd just like to thank John Ruth of Clydeway Golf Centre for his very generous prices for prizes as well as donating lots of free goodies tfor the trip. Numerous items such as the TM Penta TP balls, the hand warmers, tees, ball markers, vouchers for free range balls were all donated free of charge. A wonderful gesture and we all thank you.

Machrihanish2012032.jpg

Sunset over Machrihanish Dunes Golf Course.

Machrihanish2012024.jpg

Sam Smith in action.

T

thecraw

Machrihanish2012004.jpg

Bunkers putting out at Dunaverty.

Machrihanish2012009.jpg

Bunkers on the par 3 7th, Dunaverty GC.

Machrihanish2012017.jpg

10th at Machrihanish Dunes.

Machrihanish2012019.jpg

Sam Smith having fun in the bunker!!!;)

Machrihanish2012020.jpg

Neil Gibson on the 2nd tee, Machrihanish Dunes.

Machrihanish2012022.jpg

Valentino in full flow at the Dunes.

Machrihanish2012025.jpg

A view of the par 5 7th at the Dunes, a great hole.

Machrihanish2012033.jpg

The mission statement and ethics of Machrihanish Dunes.

T

thecraw

Machrihanish2012035.jpg

Farneyman and the tortoise having a blether in the pub!

Machrihanish2012038.jpg

Sam Smith doing the YMCA!

Machrihanish2012040.jpg

Gavin Stewart with bunkers (Dr Ray) in the background.

Machrihanish2012043.jpg

Thick as thieves, Colin MacDonald jnr & Neil Rattray in cahoots!

Machrihanish2012044.jpg

A rather "happy" looking valentino!

Machrihanish2012045.jpg

A fat-tiger tries and fails -BIG TIME! HAHAHAHAHAHA

T

thecraw

SUNDAY 1ST APRIL MACHRIHANISH GOLF CLUB

Machrihanish2012054.jpg

The new sign on the 1st Tee.

Machrihanish2012055.jpg

GM's Jezz and Andy Hayne Jnr.

Machrihanish2012056.jpg

Jezz pre beach!

Machrihanish2012058.jpg

Andy on the 1st tee.

Machrihanish2012059.jpg

Valentino doing his monkey impression.

Machrihanish2012060.jpg

Thecraw hitting his only good shot of the day!

Machrihanish2012062.jpg

No explanation needed!!!:whistle:

Machrihanish2012066.jpg

Andy trying his hardest to rival me as the worst player at Machrihanish!

Machrihanish2012067.jpg

The end!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excellent write up craw & great pics , nearly passed away when i saw the caption bunkers putting , bunkers on the par 3 followed by SAM SMITH HAVING FUN IN BUNKERS :whistle: phew what a relief there was sand & only sam in the picture ha ha , looks ike ye had a ball well done ...

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cracking pictures there mate, the Doc is a right bandit he's a total pot hunter,lol. As ever mate excellent organisation by yourself pity i couldn't make it. For all who haven't played the Dunes its a fantastic track its just a pity the wind or hurricane caused so much damage in the winter.

T

thecraw

Cracking pictures there mate, the Doc is a right bandit he's a total pot hunter,lol. As ever mate excellent organisation by yourself pity i couldn't make it. For all who haven't played the Dunes its a fantastic track its just a pity the wind or hurricane caused so much damage in the winter.

Big big improvement in the two weeks since we played Steve, the staff have done the course proud. Once the new greens settle and bed in more it'll be back up to scratch assuming they don't get another storm!

neilgib28

Visit site
Great review Craw, so much so that I decided to register for the forum and thank you 'in person' :thup:....
At least I now know why I was hooking my drives, my alignment is shocking!!:mmm:

T

thecraw

Question time ??

Has anyone returned scores for the weekend. It was off the medal tees on Sunday with no preferred lies ??

It was not an official competition and you (I assume) didn't declare it as a supplimentary card before you went out, therefore you saved yourself point 1!!!!!!:thup:

Although I do think I heard the good doctor saying at Dunaverty and Machrihanish that he was going to play for a reduction. I guess he'll be about 10 now!
:whoo:

T

thecraw

Great review Craw, so much so that I decided to register for the forum and thank you 'in person' :thup:....
At least I now know why I was hooking my drives, my alignment is shocking!!:mmm:

I did notice that at the Dunes to be honest. Camera never lies.