M5/ M6 announcement

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Did Rick Shiels actually compare the two drivers together, or did he compare to his stats from last year's launch video?
Haven't seen the vid, but seen many comments mentioning that he didn't hit them back to back... if true that's surely a con.... you can't compare your swing day to day, yet alone year to year (and I don't believe Rick hits the middle most of the time, at least not in the vids I've seen)

Yeah he hit the predecessors. He originally compared them to his base levels (averages). He seemed a bit down on the Taylormade. Which didn’t improve on speed to be fair, but did have increases due to spin decreases, yet jumped all over the epic which only offered I believe 2 yards more than the m5.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am sceptical about the TM claims for the M5/6, but bang on sold by Callaways claims for the Epic Flash. It is worrying how much I am a sucker for Cally's marketing, and yet imune to TM. I might need to seek medical advise.

Oh, may be not. Mrs Mog is a doctor, and will always advise me to save the money, and spend it on ISAs or pensions, or some other boring, non golf related rubbish.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I remember writing an essay in support of the following way back in the 70's. I got a D and was told not to be mercenary.

"Planned obsolescence, or built-in obsolescence, in industrial design and economics is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so it will become obsolete (that is, unfashionable or no longer functional) after a certain period of time."

Rick Sheil's comments don't exactly suggest they're a huge advance. Equally, something similar was said when the 917's came out, replacing the 915. The TS2/TS3's do get a good read though, and they aren't as garish.

I’d have thought planned obsolescence was more relevant to iPhones etc where they do become slow after a few years due to software updates or the increased spec of apps. Not sure new drivers bedome obsolete as such, but maybe the need for them is as they do seem to have all peaked and you could probably buy one of about 20 from last few years and the improvements would be down to fittings, not clubhead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just to prove the point

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/callaway-epic-flash-woods-unveiled-171014

Not a peep on here and yet full of marketing nonsense as well

They have also released more putters
Some interesting thoughts from the Shiels review especially the Sub Zero. Again it's a massive price and yes I am sure the new super computer tested face is massive marketing hot air in the same way as TM twist face and a myriad of other claims from many companies over the years. There will be customers for this and the M5/6 and so both companies will probably shift sufficient numbers to make it a viable release financially for them

D

Deleted member 15344

TaylorMade.......the Man Utd of golf......:cry:
Are you loading your gun to put Callaway into the firing line - or is it a little bit different because you like and play with Callaways

You been very vocal in the past in regards TM release schedules and Marketing but not so of Callaway who’s marketing is as bad but worse their schedule is more frequent - is it bias then

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Are you loading your gun to put Callaway into the firing line - or is it a little bit different because you like and play with Callaways

You been very vocal in the past in regards TM release schedules and Marketing but not so of Callaway who’s marketing is as bad but worse their schedule is more frequent - is it bias then

Jeez Phil chill out.
ITS JUST A GOLF MANUFACTURER!!!!
IT’s NOT PERSONAL!!!!

Haven’t seen you this blooming wound up since someone criticised the BBC 😳

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tell me .....which drivers, irons and hybrids do the Flash and Apex announced today replace and when were they introduced?

I like Callaways - can't deny it
And they've been OTT with the marketing as well
Because they want to sell clubs
And you don't have to buy them.

And I don't care if someone slags off Callaway because it doesn't matter to me at all.

Wolf

Visit site

Chill out Phil it's not personal. TM get more bad feeling from a lot of people not just Imurg.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Tell me .....which drivers, irons and hybrids do the Flash and Apex announced today replace and when were they introduced?

I like Callaways - can't deny it
And they've been OTT with the marketing as well
Because they want to sell clubs
And you don't have to buy them.

And I don't care if someone slags off Callaway because it doesn't matter to me at all.

I’d argue they replace the the Epic from 2 years ago, and then there will be a rogue flash (bang or wallop) next year. So it’ll appear each product has a 2 year product cycle. But that’s just marketing. They are both as “bad” as each other in regards to product releases and sales pitches.

D

Deleted member 15344

Chill out Phil it's not personal.
Who said it was personal ? :unsure:

It’s more hyprocritical and it happens each year

TM release driver - outrage from the same sources , marketing , price , trying to suck the customer in blah blah

Then Callaway release another new driver then Cobra , Ping etc etc - silence

Not sure what it was that TM have done to harm people but it’s a yearly thing now and I suspect it will happen again next year and the year after.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

TM release driver - outrage from the same sources , marketing , price , trying to suck the customer in blah blah

Not sure what it was that TM have done to harm people but it’s a yearly thing now and I suspect it will happen again next year and the year after.
It may have been the marketing hyperbole, but I used to think that Taylormade released more clubs. Maybe 5/6 years ago when I started playing they seemed to be everywhere but now they are all equal in their claims. Whether others have just been more brazen in their claims or they have started to release more I wouldn’t know.

D

Deleted member 15344

It may have been the marketing hyperbole, but I used to think that Taylormade released more clubs. Maybe 5/6 years ago when I started playing they seemed to be everywhere but now they are all equal in their claims. Whether others have just been more brazen in their claims or they have started to release more I wouldn’t know.

It all kicked off around the SLDR - they released that early at around the same year as the R15 and Aeroburner i think it was and not long after the R1 - because they went early with the SLDR it didn’t look great but it was a one off - it seems to me over the past 7 years etc it’s been mainly two a year each year.

Wolf

Visit site

Perhaps it's the way you worded your previous post aimed at Imurg that makes it seem personal, I wasn't the only one that thought that clearly based on someone else saying pretty much the same.

People have affinities to certain Brands and also dislike for others that's not just golf its cars, clothing, shoes, food etc. I don't like TM I admit that, I don't like how they market or the look of their products. Callaway quite like the look of the drivers but not the irons. I'm a huge fan of everything Cobra that's just how it is.

TM are a major brand probably one of the biggest and most aggressive brands in golf and do everything bigger and better or so is the claim so perhaps that's why it occurs year on year.

End of the day they'll make a bomb off the jargon and the must haves,. I doubt the company are as wound up by the division of opinion as you are.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would tend to agree with LP here, TM do seem to get the raw end of the deal with the the comments re their product cycle. In recent years I would suggest that Callaway have not only matched but possibly overtaken them in terms of numbers released.

Anyway, my point would be, who actually cares? Doesn’t this make it a buyers market and actually benefits us as golfers? You’ll fit into a number of different camps....

A) The golfer who wants the very latest of everything - its good for them, them get their yearly fix of new shiny goodness and does it really matter if they want to throw their hard earned cash at yet another driver?

B) The golf who cannot afford or doesn’t want to pay for the latest and ‘greatest’ - even better for them, they get to pick up a 12 month old iteration for a fraction of the price (last yrs M3/4 is around £240 brand new) and so don’t need to worry about being left behind.

C) The golfer who refuses to buy new and will pick things up 2nd hand - again, the market will be flooded with last years models as people pick up this years and it’ll be cheap to do so.

My point is, as golfers, if golf manufacturers had a release cycle of 5 years or so then choice would be limited and prices would hold their value far better which makes can make the game more expensive for those on a budget.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Perhaps it's the way you worded your previous post aimed at Imurg that makes it seem personal, I wasn't the only one that thought that clearly based on someone else saying pretty much the same.

People have affinities to certain Brands and also dislike for others that's not just golf its cars, clothing, shoes, food etc. I don't like TM I admit that, I don't like how they market or the look of their products. Callaway quite like the look of the drivers but not the irons. I'm a huge fan of everything Cobra that's just how it is.

TM are a major brand probably one of the biggest and most aggressive brands in golf and do everything bigger and better or so is the claim so perhaps that's why it occurs year on year.

End of the day they'll made a bomb off the jargon and the must haves,. I doubt the company are as wound up by the division of opinion as you are.

I dunno, they’re petty enough not to get gear in the hands of mark crossfield.... So much be a little sensitive to criticism.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunno what it is but there's something just less irritating about Cally's marketing than TM's (and I say that as someone whose last 3 drivers have been TMs!)