M5/ M6 announcement

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
£450 for a driver! Never mind the looks, which has nowt to do with how well they perform, but £450 for one club?!

Most amateur golfers struggle to hit 50% of fairways, probably lose a ball every other round off the tee and willing spend £450 on a driver...? Fair enough. If you've got it and can afford one. Bit too rich for me.

My drivers in recent years have been last year's models, saving well over £100 on the launch price. Currently playing the Titliest 915, and unless something new will see me taking 2 less irons into a green I'm not interested.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry but you know full well that Callaway don’t get anywhere near the same level of stick that TM do - and Callaway release more clubs - same with Cobra , even Ping getting close

TM have been two a year for 4 years now - it’s regular now and people know it’s going to happen , all the OEM are the same yet TM get the brunt and you only have to read through this forum to see that
TM introduced the M3/4 in 2018 and so clearly only a 12 month cycle. It's rubbish and cynical. Yes Callaway are as bad and yes, the likes of Ping are introducing more models although in their case it seems more irons than woods (although new driver coming soon apparently). GM released the M3 review 2nd Jan 2018!

Have to say the M6 looks horrendous especially on the sole but even the crown is too fussy. The M5 seems marginally better but again I'm not sold on the look. Think the Shiels video was illuminating and getting no more speed, so basically blowing the TM spiel out of the water. I wouldn't buy a £500 driver anyway but certainly not on the back of the marketing spiel. I see Callaway are now hyping up their new release and the speed it'll give.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
TM introduced the M3/4 in 2018 and so clearly only a 12 month cycle. It's rubbish and cynical. Yes Callaway are as bad and yes, the likes of Ping are introducing more models although in their case it seems more irons than woods (although new driver coming soon apparently). GM released the M3 review 2nd Jan 2018!
Clearly this produces a buyers market and for those who are conscious of cost it's only a good thing, you get equipment on almost a parallel at a fraction of new cost. Golf companies are a business and it wouldn't be good business to not do what works for them, clearly this direction does otherwise them and other companies wouldn't continue with 12 or 13 month product cycles. I think Callaway actually have released a good few more driver models over the last 5 year's

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clearly this produces a buyers market and for those who are conscious of cost it's only a good thing, you get equipment on almost a parallel at a fraction of new cost. Golf companies are a business and it wouldn't be good business to not do what works for them, clearly this direction does otherwise them and other companies wouldn't continue with 12 or 13 month product cycles. I think Callaway actually have released a good few more driver models over the last 5 year's
I understand what you're saying. However how much difference is the average handicap golfer going to see for their £500 from the M3/4 to the M5/6. I'd argue not much and certainly not enough that would persuade me to upgrade from last years offering. I feel they have to be pandering to the all the gear brigade, although of course if you have an older TM model from say 3-5 years ago it may be worht looking at these (again I'd hold fire and look at an M34 going cheaper now the upgrade are here).

I agree Callaway seem to be churning drivers out with alarming regularity with another coming and they are another guilty of hyping the club way too much for my liking and another brand where hype and performance may not be the same thing

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
£450 for a driver! Never mind the looks, which has nowt to do with how well they perform, but £450 for one club?!

Most amateur golfers struggle to hit 50% of fairways, probably lose a ball every other round off the tee and willing spend £450 on a driver...? Fair enough. If you've got it and can afford one. Bit too rich for me.

My drivers in recent years have been last year's models, saving well over £100 on the launch price. Currently playing the Titliest 915, and unless something new will see me taking 2 less irons into a green I'm not interested.
Crazy money. I'm more than happy with my m2, I got that during the AG double trade in first time around. The review I read had it at 499!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think primarily driver releases are aimed at golfers who maybe have a driver model 2 models or more old. If you buy a driver every 3 years your probably on a good scale with regards to resale value, and ability to get fitted and performance. If I was going purely on cost I'd buy a model old and keep it for 2 years and do the same again that way after I sell or trade in I'm getting good bang for buck, but it's hard to get fit for an older driver. Maybe it's the way drivers are marketed that rubs people up the wrong way but what do you really want them to say ? It seems they can't say anything without some people taking issue

Wolf

Visit site
I understand what you're saying. However how much difference is the average handicap golfer going to see for their £500 from the M3/4 to the M5/6. I'd argue not much and certainly not enough that would persuade me to upgrade from last years offering. I feel they have to be pandering to the all the gear brigade, although of course if you have an older TM model from say 3-5 years ago it may be worht looking at these (again I'd hold fire and look at an M34 going cheaper now the upgrade are here).

I agree Callaway seem to be churning drivers out with alarming regularity with another coming and they are another guilty of hyping the club way too much for my liking and another brand where hype and performance may not be the same thing
I agree totally. I'd also go as far to say what real gains or difference is a player going to get no matter what the merketing hype between models are in such short release periods is. Maybe kit 5-6 years old vs new. But again a player chsngining from say a 2013 model club could buy a new 2017 model now and have more money in the bank and get technology gains. The max clubehad size is set along with COR and other things like CI so is there much difference in kit between the year....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I remember writing an essay in support of the following way back in the 70's. I got a D and was told not to be mercenary.

"Planned obsolescence, or built-in obsolescence, in industrial design and economics is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so it will become obsolete (that is, unfashionable or no longer functional) after a certain period of time."

Rick Sheil's comments don't exactly suggest they're a huge advance. Equally, something similar was said when the 917's came out, replacing the 915. The TS2/TS3's do get a good read though, and they aren't as garish.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
TM introduced the M3/4 in 2018 and so clearly only a 12 month cycle.

That's literally what LP says 🤦🏻‍♂️

He's also right, TM get way more stick on here for some reason when all the major OEMs are as bad. Maybe it's as they're first to market each year.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did Rick Shiels actually compare the two drivers together, or did he compare to his stats from last year's launch video?
Haven't seen the vid, but seen many comments mentioning that he didn't hit them back to back... if true that's surely a con.... you can't compare your swing day to day, yet alone year to year (and I don't believe Rick hits the middle most of the time, at least not in the vids I've seen)