M1 Reconfigured - WOW!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Being bored & the weather being bad I thought I'd mess around with the weights on my driver to see if it had any effect. According to Taylormade, putting the rear weight back increases forgiveness. I can't see that, it seems to me that all it will do is give more unwanted backspin. So I thought I'd move both weights onto the forward track, making the clubhead more peripherally weighted.

The result was stunning. The ball was going off with a beautiful rainbow flight with noticeably less backspin & I felt as if everything was coming out of the middle. I tend to get too much backspin & the Oban shaft launches just a little bit too high. With this weight configuration & the loft set to a standard 9½º the launch was ideal. Can't wait to try this on the course. Has anyone else tried this?

Here is the head, reconfigured.

W3N_0340.jpg

Last edited:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's something I've been thinking of tinkering with on my M1. Haven't changed it since I was fitted for it a few years back and I know my swing has changed a lot since then. I've got a much lower ball flight with the driver now.

I've got a SkyTrak so I might take it up the range to get some numbers.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It's something I've been thinking of tinkering with on my M1. Haven't changed it since I was fitted for it a few years back and I know my swing has changed a lot since then. I've got a much lower ball flight with the driver now.

I've got a SkyTrak so I might take it up the range to get some numbers.
Would suggest you adjust it to the highest loft & try the weights where I've got mine. Moving the weights back may give you backspin you don't want.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That new setting was how I set up my Mizuno jpx 850 driver. certainly less spin with this than having the weights further back.

Forgiveness was reduced if you slide them into the middle. keep them wide. you have the weight forward there for lower spin.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's funny I had the M1 driver and the 3 wood. The 3 wood came with two weights to adjust the level of forgiveness (as you have the weights set in the picture).

The M1 did not last long for because I was nowhere near as consistent with it compared to my R9 no matter where I set the weights. (I used to have the CoG weight between N and low which gave me the sort of trajectory I was looking for) Maybe if I thought about buying an extra weight and adjusting as per you I might have got on with.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It's funny I had the M1 driver and the 3 wood. The 3 wood came with two weights to adjust the level of forgiveness (as you have the weights set in the picture).

The M1 did not last long for because I was nowhere near as consistent with it compared to my R9 no matter where I set the weights. (I used to have the CoG weight between N and low which gave me the sort of trajectory I was looking for) Maybe if I thought about buying an extra weight and adjusting as per you I might have got on with.
I've got some extra weights. May experiment with them.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got the 2017 M1. At the beginning of the season I was slicing a lot of my drives although I was aiming left to compensate.... I fiddled a bit setting it to a more draw bias and found it had no effect at all. As a result settled on a very neutral setting and got it out of my head thatvthe weights we’re going to “save me” - went on to have my best driving season ever.

Just my 2c

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I’ve got the 2017 M1. At the beginning of the season I was slicing a lot of my drives although I was aiming left to compensate.... I fiddled a bit setting it to a more draw bias and found it had no effect at all. As a result settled on a very neutral setting and got it out of my head thatvthe weights we’re going to “save me” - went on to have my best driving season ever.

Just my 2c
I don't think that the draw / fade bias has much effect at all because the weight is so light compared with the weight of the clubhead. It may be my imagination, but with both weights close to the face it certainly appears that backspin is reduced & off centre hits feel more solid.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't have the M1 (M2 for me) , when I had the R11s though I found the adjustments too subtle so had to go to each extreme to see much difference really (I only played with settings once over a weekend then reset it). This is probably the main reason I went with the M2 afterwards as once fitted, for me, it's not the club if the ball starts going the wrong direction or shape.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't have the M1 (M2 for me) , when I had the R11s though I found the adjustments too subtle so had to go to each extreme to see much difference really. This is probably the main reason I went with the M2 afterwards as once set, for me, it's not the club if the ball starts going the wrong direction or shape.

Ive had a few drivers that had the weight adjustment including an M1 and no matter where i put the weights i found little or no change to flight, spin or shot shape. i don't think i would bother with a driver with them again

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think that the draw / fade bias has much effect at all because the weight is so light compared with the weight of the clubhead. It may be my imagination, but with both weights close to the face it certainly appears that backspin is reduced & off centre hits feel more solid.

The way I read it when I had an adjustable Big Bertha was...
Weights near the toe made to club head turn over slightly less so left it more open at impact, it’s marketed as fade bias but in reality it can only sometimes make the ball start to the right not actually draw the ball.
Setting the weights at the heel has the opposite effect, it encourages the head to close more etc etc.
I guess having the two weights spread makes it more balanced but I have no idea how that could affect the spin.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The way I read it when I had an adjustable Big Bertha was...
Weights near the toe made to club head turn over slightly less so left it more open at impact, it’s marketed as fade bias but in reality it can only sometimes make the ball start to the right not actually draw the ball.
Setting the weights at the heel has the opposite effect, it encourages the head to close more etc etc.
I guess having the two weights spread makes it more balanced but I have no idea how that could affect the spin.

The weights being forward rather than placed on the back rail reduces the spin. That was the whole idea off the back of the SLDR.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Im going to use this winter to fiddle with things like this, will definitely be giving your theory a go as I can mount both weights in the same configuration as you.

OLgolfer

Visit site
My driver is not behaving, too many slices even though I draw all my irons.

Might have a little play with the weights to see if it makes a difference