Luton Hoo - Ryder Cup

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't Bolton also keen on holding the Ryder Cup, again requiring a new course? Also, the JCB Club have expressed an interest. They have a fairly new but already highly regarded course already in play. Some people are going to be very disappointed!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't Bolton also keen on holding the Ryder Cup, again requiring a new course? Also, the JCB Club have expressed an interest. They have a fairly new but already highly regarded course already in play. Some people are going to be very disappointed!

I recall Bolton Council refusing permission to build the course, may be wrong though.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ll be amazed if Luton Hoo gets a Ryder Cup - it would need a brand new course , hotel is ok , access is fine from all the airports etc but I doubt local council will be up for it knowing what they are like

I think London Club should be a shoe in - everything is there golf wise for it to be hosted

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been meaning to play there one day as I heard it has no bunkers, which is interesting. I guess I'd better get a move on before they bulldoze it for the new course. :unsure:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been meaning to play there one day as I heard it has no bunkers, which is interesting. I guess I'd better get a move on before they bulldoze it for the new course. :unsure:
It's been a while since i lived that way, but I'm sure I remember when it was a private estate it's grounds were of some significance, its design or such like. Capability Brown or someone like that.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
It's been a while sonce i lived thsy way, but I'm sure I remember when it was a private estate it's grounds were of some significance, its design or such like. Capability Brown or someone like that.

I think that's why there are no bunkers.

They would need to build a whole new course for the RC, like Celtic Manor, not sure how this would sit with the current restrictions.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think that's why there are no bunkers.

They would need to build a whole new course for the RC, like Celtic Manor, not sure how this would sit with the current restrictions.

The restrictions only apply to part of the existing grounds, the Capability Brown designed park part (they could have had bunkers on part of the existing course but didnt for consistency) and I think I read theyve added additionally surrounding land which will enable them to pretty much build what they want

D

Deleted member 15344

Going to be some interesting times ahead - will be great for the Ryder Cup to be back in the England - still think that London Club is in Pole Position but Luton Hoo getting it would be a boost for the area and the course if built could be a great one