Do you trust them !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebro

Visit site
And where did I say any of that? Your just coming to nonsense conclusions to suit yourself. And yes we all know you were in the force for 30 years, despite you rarely mentioning it.
Crikey, you’re quite the wind up merchant aren’t you? You’re choosing to completely disregard someone (BB) who has approximately 30 years more service than yourself in an establishment that is, quite rightly, under the microscope right now. Please listen to what he is saying because (as an ex serving copper myself) he is bang on in saying no copper would stay quiet if they suspected behaviour like we’ve seen from Carrick.
In fact, I’ve a good friend who served on the DPG alongside him and he had absolutely no idea what was going on. And I also know that he would have had no hesitation whatsoever to confront the situation should he have suspected anything.
Others have said it already and for fear of repeating them, he was a bad apple. Thankfully he’s been caught, prosecuted and is currently in Belmarsh where I’m certain he’s reaping what he sowed.
Please do not lose your trust in the Police service, he (and the other bad apples) do not represent the majority rank and file who do a thankless task day after day after day.
Have a pleasant evening.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Watching the news this morning, have those in power got the right to take this guys pension?

Don’t get me wrong he’s a wrongun and hopefully will be “popular” in prison.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Watching the news this morning, have those in power got the right to take this guys pension?

I was reading that last night , I'd expect him to spend pretty much the rest of his life in prison any way. Not sure if a clamour for his pension is worth it either , sounds a bit like appeasement.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Yes, they have. For serious criminal conduct a pension can be forfeited.

In prison he has the double whammy of being a cop and a sex offender. His life will be unbearable - as it should be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do I trust the Rozzers?
About as much as I trust anyone I don't know personally
They get the benefit of the doubt until I know differently one way or the other.
Dealings that I have had down the years with the Boys in Blue have always been positive so the scales are balanced in their favour...

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
But if you don't trust the Police, what is your alternative? If you have a burglary, a robbery, a mugging, a murder. Who do you call then? Do you not call the Police because you don't trust them? Or do your principles suddenly change, and you suddenly decide you need the police after all?
Yes, the system needs changing, modifying, upgrading, but you can't blame the individuals on that.

A bizzare response.

There is no other choice.

If i was unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of the highlighted bit, i would love to be able to take the matter into my own hands and deal with the perpetrator.

Unfortunately i'd be looking at doing a stint of porridge for my actions, As seen recently, the electrician who chased a pair of theiving scumbags who he crashed into to stop them.

They get a slap on the wrist and he almost loses his home etc.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a female, if I were home alone, I would never let a strange man in the house. I'd have always said the exception would be a police officer. Not sure that would be the case now but then not sure if they'd always attend in twos anyhow?

Overall they are clearly trustworthy but there will always be rogue ones - it's making sure they are weeded out at vetting and whilst serving...seems there are failings there.

I went through the process of applying to be a call handler with the police. The vetting seemed very thorough for that role BUT did also reply on my honesty. I mentioned my nephew who had been in prison and that was further discussed and could have prevented my selection. As it was it didn't but I would have had to make some sort of declaration for my records. In the end I decided not to take the job as it was likely to be more stress than I needed in my life!

I also once thought about applying to be a "special" but again it's a bloody tough job - I'd rather help those in trouble than deal with those making trouble! I guess police officers do both but couldn't do their job, no way.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A bizzare response.

There is no other choice.

If i was unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of the highlighted bit, i would love to be able to take the matter into my own hands and deal with the perpetrator.

Unfortunately i'd be looking at doing a stint of porridge for my actions, As seen recently, the electrician who chased a pair of theiving scumbags who he crashed into to stop them.

They get a slap on the wrist and he almost loses his home etc.
Why is it bizarre? I am merely pointing out the fact that many people don't trust the police, until they need them, and suddenly their attitude changes.
I agree with what you said about the situation with the electrician. But that is not the fault of the police, but of the justice system that, I agree, lets some people off too lightly. I imagine that many of the police would be equally frustrated at that kind of decision. What gobsmacked me was not what happened to the electrician, but what didn't happen to the two career criminals who he was chasing.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Why is it bizarre? I am merely pointing out the fact that many people don't trust the police, until they need them, and suddenly their attitude changes.
I agree with what you said about the situation with the electrician. But that is not the fault of the police, but of the justice system that, I agree, lets some people off too lightly. I imagine that many of the police would be equally frustrated at that kind of decision. What gobsmacked me was not what happened to the electrician, but what didn't happen to the two career criminals who he was chasing.

Its bizarre because it's a necessity to call the old bill should the above happen. There's no other option.

You can still use the old bill and not trust them.

Mandofred

Visit site
What I've never understood is when watching some tv cop type show (Vera etc)......and they knock on the door and ask if they can come in.....I'm always sitting there mumbling to myself "no...no....no". No reason to let somebody I don't know into my house. Yeah....I know....it's a tv show. But is it common in the real world for the police to ask if they can come in?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What I've never understood is when watching some tv cop type show (Vera etc)......and they knock on the door and ask if they can come in.....I'm always sitting there mumbling to myself "no...no....no". No reason to let somebody I don't know into my house. Yeah....I know....it's a tv show. But is it common in the real world for the police to ask if they can come in?
You mean you'd rather discuss it on your doorstep?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do I trust the Rozzers?
About as much as I trust anyone I don't know personally
They get the benefit of the doubt until I know differently one way or the other.
Dealings that I have had down the years with the Boys in Blue have always been positive so the scales are balanced in their favour...

This matches my feelings on the matter. There were around 160000 police officers in England and Wales last year so it's a bit like asking me if I trust the population of Bournemouth. The answer is no, because I don't know and have never met 99.99% of them. I've never had a negative experience with any of the police that I have met whether that be getting stopped in my car, meeting them in my local town or seeing them at various public events. In my experience if you are pleasant with them they will be the same with you.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Bizarrely, the Americans do it far better than the U.K. citizens. “You haven’t got warrant, no you can‘t come in.” You want my name, “that’s my 4th amendment. I don’t have to tell you my name.” You want me to tell you xxx, “sorry, thats my 5th amendment. No I’m not answering questions.” Innocent till THEY have a case.

Thats why Brits get it wrong. Innocent until proven guilty. Say nothing till they arrest you, and then ask for a solicitor. Then discuss with a solicitor and take their advice. The Brit attitude of fair play, and not wanting to be embarrassed on the doorstep, makes questionable prosecutions easy.

Crims get away with murder because they twist and turn. People who might have made a mistake say they might have made a mistake, and a good prosecutor turns it into a conviction.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of examples on You Tube of people refusing to let police into their house, or even confirm their identity in numerous scenarios (and yes I know some film such situations just to provoke a response).
I do find that quite entertaining, seeing the police taken aback that the individual does not want to engage with them at all, and is not prepared to divulge all the information they seek, but with recent events I guess that's not so surprising.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand why the minimum is only 30 years, unless there is a legal reason to stop the judge giving a full life term? It is surely inconceivable that he ever sees the outside world again.

How the sentence was calculated
During her sentencing remarks Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb made a point of saying she would not impose on Carrick a whole-life order - a sentence which would have meant he would never have been released from prison.
She said the threshold for such a punishment was not met.
The judge said a "just and proportionate punishment" would have been a life sentence with a minimum term of 60 years.
But, acknowledging Carrick's guilty pleas, she applied a 20% discount, and deducted a third from the resulting term of 48 years.
From the remaining 32 years, she subtracted 491 days - the time Carrick has already spent in custody - meaning that the time he will have to serve in prison before being considered for parole is 30 years and 239 days.

It makes you wonder what the threshold is......

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Only two observations. First, before anyone starts banging on about discounted sentences, the judiciary are bound by sentencing council guidelines.

Second, whilst he may not have received a whole life term, he won’t be released unless deemed safe for release once the minimum sentence has been served. Given the nature and volume of offences I don’t think there’s much likelihood of that until Carrick is a very, very old man. If at all.

Rest assured the next thirty years of his life, at least, is going to be beyond unbearable. As it should be.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Only two observations. First, before anyone starts banging on about discounted sentences, the judiciary are bound by sentencing council guidelines.

Second, whilst he may not have received a whole life term, he won’t be released unless deemed safe for release once the minimum sentence has been served. Given the nature and volume of offences I don’t think there’s much likelihood of that until Carrick is a very, very old man. If at all.

Rest assured the next thirty years of his life, at least, is going to be beyond unbearable. As it should be.

Number 1 daughter is a very experienced barrister. We’ve had this conversation on a number of occasions. There is a matrix for sentencing that looks at the offence, actions within the offence and any mitigation. When a judge determines a sentence they also take into account what might happen if the sentence is appealed.

If anyone has an issue with early release it’s the parole board that needs addressing, not the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.