Do you trust them !

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
The simple answer is yes I trust the police

That doesn’t change with a bad apple because there are bad apples in all walks of life
It's not a bad apple is it, it's systematic failing time and time again of the police to vet and remove persons who should never have got near the uniform in the first place.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That's the problem, many would have known but either chose not to or probably felt the culture meant they couldn't speak up.

Cobblers. Do you really think any police officer would keep quiet if they knew a colleague was a serial rapist because of “culture”?

Are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Cobblers. Do you really think any police officer would keep quiet if they knew a colleague was a serial rapist because of “culture”?

Are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance?
You tell me mate.

Carrick admitted 49 counts covering 85 acts of serious offending, including 48 rapes.

Thats just what he's admitted, he was in the police for over 20 years.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not a bad apple is it, it's systematic failing time and time again of the police to vet and remove persons who should never have got near the uniform in the first place.

It is a bad apple. Yes there will be process failings to allow that bad Apple to get as far as he did but it doesn’t mean that as a whole we can’t trust the police force within the UK

Billysboots

Visit site
You tell me mate.

Carrick admitted 49 counts covering 85 acts of serious offending, including 48 rapes.

Thats just what he's admitted, he was in the police for over 20 years.

I’ll tell you something for free. Having spent 30 years as a cop there is no way any serving police officer would keep quiet if they were aware they were working next to a serial rapist.

Try to be very careful which news outlets you rely on. Many newspapers have a significant anti police agenda. And don’t get me started on the BBC. Our good friend Naga Munchetty did a piece on this this morning on Radio 5 and chose as her “expert” an ex MPS superintendent who herself has a significant axe to grind against her former employer. Hardly the voice of reason.

The actions of this man are absolutely abhorrent. But you can bet your life the press and media will spin in for all its worth in order to paint every police officer in a similarly appalling way.

Seems they’re succeeding.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Do I trust the Police? On the whole, yes. They have a horrible job to do, have to deal with the dregs of society on our behalf, see horrible things, and then have to go home afterwards. It's a very tough job, with not enough people and too many people getting off, or having light sentences for serious crimes or serial offenders.
You can't castigate the whole of the force for the actions of individuals. They probably feel the same frustrations as the members of the public. Especially when news like this comes out, as they know the reaction this will get.
However, there has to be a more robust method of dealing with these complaints, and less of the protectionism than seems to be happening in some forces (I don't believe the Met has a good reputation, even in the Police force). If there are issues like this, then they do have to be handled correctly. And if there are consistent reports about an individual, then it has to be handled correctly. It's not just in the Police force. You will have seen how some hospital authorities have handled whistle-blowers. Protect the organisation, and not the individual. My company has strict guidelines on this, and I have just done a course on workplace bullying, but I wouldn't know if one of my colleagues was a criminal mastermind.
My missus worked with Dennis Nilsen. She said he was odd, but nobody suspected what he was up to either. You can't always tell what people are like.
But if you don't trust the Police, what is your alternative? If you have a burglary, a robbery, a mugging, a murder. Who do you call then? Do you not call the Police because you don't trust them? Or do your principles suddenly change, and you suddenly decide you need the police after all?
Yes, the system needs changing, modifying, upgrading, but you can't blame the individuals on that.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That's the problem, many would have known but either chose not to or probably felt the culture meant they couldn't speak up.
I am missing something here, your post starts “do you trust them”. It’s obvious you don’t and I get that you and others don’t. But BB puts forward rational discussion and you quote that “ many others would have known he was a serial rapist”, but chose not to say owt or felt the culture meant they couldn’t speak up. Do you seriously believe many other knew and kept quiet ?
like I have quoted there are bad people in all walks of life but you are talking about the Met police force, not every police force in the country and certainly not every copper.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I am missing something here, your post starts “do you trust them”. It’s obvious you don’t and I get that you and others don’t. But BB puts forward rational discussion and you quote that “ many others would have known he was a serial rapist”, but chose not to say owt or felt the culture meant they couldn’t speak up. Do you seriously believe many other knew and kept quiet ?
like I have quoted there are bad people in all walks of life but you are talking about the Met police force, not every police force in the country and certainly not every copper.
You just made that up . I said no such thing.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
You just made that up . I said no such thing.
The quote is inaccurate, but it is an accurate paraphrase of what you were saying.
"Many would have known."
Of course they wouldn't. We've all known men who made women uncomfortable and who we had doubts about, but rumour and innuendo doesn't stand up in criminal court.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
The quote is inaccurate, but it is an accurate paraphrase of what you were saying.
"Many would have known."
Of course they wouldn't. We've all known men who made women uncomfortable and who we had doubts about, but rumour and innuendo doesn't stand up in criminal court.

I'm suggesting there is no way he could have been going along all that time without anyone knowing he was a bad man.
9 reports of abuse and nothing done and even promoted.

49 counts covering 85 acts of serious offending, including 48 rapes.

Thats just what he's admitted.

An officer for over 20 years.

Known as bastard Dave.

Billysboots

Visit site
I'm suggesting there is no way he could have been going along all that time without anyone knowing he was a bad man.
9 reports of abuse and nothing done and even promoted.

49 counts covering 85 acts of serious offending, including 48 rapes.

Thats just what he's admitted.

An officer for over 20 years.

Known as bastard Dave.

I think you’ve made your point. Several times over in fact.

Leave aside my 30 years’ experience in the cops if you wish, but surely common sense must tell you that no police officer is going to ignore the fact he or she is working alongside a multiple rapist. Unless of course you truly have swallowed the media spin and actually believe that every male police officer in this country is some sort of drooling sexual deviant.

We get it. You dislike the police. That’s your choice. Nobody is disagreeing with you that the actions of men like David Carrick and Wayne Couzens are reprehensible. And nobody is saying that the vetting system is perfect, far from it.

But you really do appear to have swallowed hook, line and sinker the media spin that all police officers are misogynistic monsters. They’re not. In thirty years I reckon I met only a handful who treated women with anything other than the utmost respect. What they do in their private lives is another matter of course, but we can’t all know what goes on behind closed doors, or what secrets colleagues try to keep buried from their co-workers.

Do you know everything about everyone you work with? If you claim you do, then you are unique. Because none of us are that gifted.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you’ve made your point. Several times over in fact.

Leave aside my 30 years’ experience in the cops if you wish, but surely common sense must tell you that no police officer is going to ignore the fact he or she is working alongside a multiple rapist. Unless of course you truly have swallowed the media spin and actually believe that every male police officer in this country is some sort of drooling sexual deviant.

We get it. You dislike the police. That’s your choice. Nobody is disagreeing with you that the actions of men like David Carrick and Wayne Couzens are reprehensible. And nobody is saying that the vetting system is perfect, far from it.

But you really do appear to have swallowed hook, line and sinker the media spin that all police officers are misogynistic monsters. They’re not. In thirty years I reckon I met only a handful who treated women with anything other than the utmost respect. What they do in their private lives is another matter of course, but we can’t all know what goes on behind closed doors, or what secrets colleagues try to keep buried from their co-workers.

Do you know everything about everyone you work with? If you claim you do, then you are unique. Because none of us are that gifted.
And where did I say any of that? Your just coming to nonsense conclusions to suit yourself. And yes we all know you were in the force for 30 years, despite you rarely mentioning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.