Do you trust them !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Choosing ones words very very carefully. I think these cases are historic. And certain folk are now being found out.

My daughter who is a Bobby pointed me in the direction of a copper ( she knew well) who has just been sent down for bad sexual behaviour re police cadets. He is a copper but first and foremost he is a grade one cock as a person. He said in court “ it was the norm re banter”. Suffice to say in-his own words his behaviour was the norm and acceptable. Not just to him but others within the force. Fortunately it came at a bad time for him as the police are under the spotlight Because of what has gone off in the Met.
Should we trust them, without a shadow of a doubt as slowly but surely these evil people who hide behind a badge are being found out and now reaping what they have sown. A coppers time in the slammer is not a pleasant time ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The thing we all need to remember is that police officers are drawn from society. There have always been bad apples, and there will continue to be bad apples, for that very reason. Same as there are in every job. The vetting is thorough but is only repeated periodically, and as many vetting departments are now regionalised they are massively overworked, so there will continue to be occasions where the bad apples remain long after they should have been weeded out.

There are a number of things I would say about this particular individual. I have absolutely no clue how his offending was allowed to continue unchecked for so long, but the MPS seems to have a particular problem in dealing with professional standards issues and criminality within its ranks. There are quite clearly officers still serving in the MPS whose services should have been dispensed with long ago. The failings are one of the reasons Cressida Dick stepped aside, and they have been allowed to continue for too long.

I’m afraid that, for all the good work the MPS undoubtedly do in keeping the capital safe, their serial cock ups are an embarrassment to the service nationwide. Which brings me nicely onto two key points. First, the MPS absolutely should not be used as a yardstick against which to measure policing nationwide. They are a unique organisation, often for all the wrong reasons, and are widely disliked by officers across the country. Harsh, perhaps, but you have to have worked alongside them at national events, as I did during my service, to understand why. And second, and far more importantly, everyone needs to be very cognisant of the fact that officers like this man and Wayne Couzens are extreme examples. That is why we have all heard about them. For every abhorrent act committed by individuals such as these, there are countless thousands of fantastic pieces of work done daily which go unreported.

Anyone who thinks no police officer can be trusted because of individuals like this really need to give their heads a wobble.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no problem trusting the Police. They do a thankless job which is only ever critisized. Yes there are some whio shouldn't be in the force, just as there are nurses, doctors, teachers, clergy or any other trusted profession that also shouldn't be there. Does a few bad ones make them all bad?.....no. There are plenty of vested interests that would be happy to see the Police gone, but anarchy never suits anyone.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly it’s not just the Met though, it’s nationwide, these are just 3 recent incidents in the Northumbria area.
I also know of others in addition to this.
So my confidence and trust of the force nationwide is extremely low.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/police-officer-sacked-sex-van-25893954.amp

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...a-police-officer-dismissed-after-25895970.amp

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/ne...dismissed-abusing-his-position-sexual-purpose

????

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sadly it’s not just the Met though, it’s nationwide, these are just 3 recent incidents in the Northumbria area.
I also know of others in addition to this.
So my confidence and trust of the force nationwide is extremely low.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/police-officer-sacked-sex-van-25893954.amp

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...a-police-officer-dismissed-after-25895970.amp

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/ne...dismissed-abusing-his-position-sexual-purpose

????

Again, I absolutely agree misconduct such as this has no place in the police service. But you will actually find most forces are actually pretty good at combating it to the point where the actions of some Professional Standards units can, at times, be a little over zealous. Trust me, I know.

What we all need to remember is that there are over 100k serving officers in the UK. Taking that into account, reports of misconduct and criminal behaviour are actually astonishingly rare.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Beverley Allot, Nursing.

Harold Shipman, Doctor.

X number politicians.

X number Clergy men of all faiths.

X number entertainment industry.

X number Sportsmen.

and I am not going to go on, but all these people have abused there positions of power.

Do we trust all within their trade. What we do is talk more openly about it and call it out when needs be.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Beverley Allot, Nursing.

Harold Shipman, Doctor.

X number politicians.

X number Clergy men of all faiths.

X number entertainment industry.

X number Sportsmen.

and I am not going to go on, but all these people have abused there positions of power.

Do we trust all within their trade. What we do is talk more openly about it Nd call it out when needs be.
They are not the same though are they.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have little doubt that there are some awful people in the police. They are drawn from society and there are some pretty unpleasant people in society. Some people are also probably drawn to the idea of being in a position of power.
Having said that in all my dealings with the police and I had quite a few professionally I experienced nothing but professionalism, competence and decent behaviour by folk who had a tough job.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should we base a mistrust of an entire (very large) organisation and every member of that organisation on the actions (albeit heinous actions) in a minority within said organisation?

Does the trustworthiness of that minority directly correlate to the trustworthiness of the rest of that group?

Only you can decide. And by posting this it appears you have.

But to tar the entirety of any group by the actions of a minority, personally doesn’t work for me.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
I trust the police (as a monolith) a great deal more than I trust the media…especially in the internet-age of the media

Those who spout the frankly idiotic and childish ‘eff the police’ need to read more, travel more, and live in many other countries — and get out of their parochial backsides

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I trust the ones I know. Several serving and retired officers at my golf club who I've known for many years.

I don't know enough about the thousands that I don't know to form a personal opinion of any merit.

The few bad ones reported in the media - my opinion is not needed.
I do have one, but I choose not to make it public here.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Trust the police. Yes.

Not had much interaction with the Met (or any police force for that matter)…but when on holiday in Carbis Bay in 2021 we were in the middle of the G7 high security area. Our chats and experience of the officers on duty outside our cottage and all over the place in CB was very positive. Many on duty and who we spoke with were from the Met, but they were from all over the the UK.

As it was finishing we were in St Ives and started chatting with a group of three late 20-something black lads from Tottenham - they’d been temporary security hires. Their take on their experience was that St Ives was magic, and they were amazed how great their own interactions with Met officers had been, perhaps tellingly then rather wistfully adding that they wished it were always so.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
800 individual officers are currently being investigated in the Met alone. That's a huge and significant number and I think people living in that area are entitled not to trust the police right now. It's up to the Met to win those people back.

The new head of the Met seems suitably outraged, is happy to bring this out in the open. That can only be a good thing. People have been talking for years about a purge in the Met, hopefully now is the time.

I've not really had contact with the police so I have no thoughts either way. It's a damned tricky job and with any large organisation there will always be bad apples. What needs to improve is the ability to identify and root out those people. That seems to have been lost in the Met.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
On the whole no. I’ve recently had to deal with the police with a very serious matter. Some of them were great, others were completely useless and lied to us meaning the incident wasn’t resolved as quickly as it should have been.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I give everyone a level of trust. Whether they go up or down on that scale is determined by any interaction I have with an individual. If one copper were to give me what I consider to be unreasonable grief I won’t trust his/her competence and professionalism but it wouldn’t colour my interaction with another.

Would I trust a brain surgeon to be a copper? No, but I wouldn’t trust a copper to be a brain surgeon either.

I used to work for a relatively large company, ultimately as a senior manager. I remember in my final year saying that the only personnel issue I hadn’t had to deal with was murder. Sadly, several months later I could no longer say that. Every business employs a microcosm of society, and the people they employ don’t turn up for interview with a placard saying, “Bad Person.” One ex-manager, who I played golf with occasionally, ended up doing a 10yr stretch. Good at his job but with a secret life outside of work. Am I guilty by association? The same applies to every Police Officer, i.e. they are not guilty by association.

However, every serving officer deserves an organisation behind them that not only supports them but also has mechanisms in place that identifies poor behaviour and deals with it appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.