Loss of competition handicap.

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst reading the "I played today" thread I started thinking about the above.

My competition status went at the start of the year having played only one qualifier in 2019, and only three in 2018.

I have been a club member since early 1970's and throughout much of that time was a keen competition man without being a great golfer, handicap came down to 13.

But family, career and finally health had the effect of reducing the time available so inevitably the h'cap crept back up.

Then, in retirement (at 60 due to health) I stopped enjoying comps probably because they accounted for the majority of my golf.

Now I am playing much more and purely for fun, last had a card in my hand over a year ago. The pleasure is now returned, just the joy of hitting some good shots whilst enjoying my surroundings and the company.

I realise that many may find this more than a little strange but all I am saying, particularly to those who may be thinking of giving up, is it is possible to thoroughly enjoy your golf without paying any attention to your score.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't had a active handicap in almost 3 years now. At first it was part of a class action against the way the belfry ran Competitions but now I've moved on I just play for the fun of it.
I will probably get back on the horse next year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whilst reading the "I played today" thread I started thinking about the above.

My competition status went at the start of the year having played only one qualifier in 2019, and only three in 2018.

I have been a club member since early 1970's and throughout much of that time was a keen competition man without being a great golfer, handicap came down to 13.

But family, career and finally health had the effect of reducing the time available so inevitably the h'cap crept back up.

Then, in retirement (at 60 due to health) I stopped enjoying comps probably because they accounted for the majority of my golf.

Now I am playing much more and purely for fun, last had a card in my hand over a year ago. The pleasure is now returned, just the joy of hitting some good shots whilst enjoying my surroundings and the company.

I realise that many may find this more than a little strange but all I am saying, particularly to those who may be thinking of giving up, is it is possible to thoroughly enjoy your golf without paying any attention to your score.

It's about what makes you happy. If you no longer relish the challenge of a competitive round, pay your membership, play socially and enjoy the game and the company. You shouldn't have to be dictated by your handicap and the battle to keep it at a stable point or try and reduce it. You aren't alone. We have a good number that play in our weekday stablefords that aren't interested in comps anymore and play off their roll up mark and are happy to have fun with mates and try and pick up a few pennies now and then

D

Deleted member 18588

I haven't had a active handicap in almost 3 years now. At first it was part of a class action against the way the belfry ran Competitions but now I've moved on I just play for the fun of it.
I will probably get back on the horse next year
I suspect that I am now a little too old for remounting the horse.

Or, put another way, I'm past it!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I suspect that I am now a little too old for remounting the horse.

Or, put another way, I'm past it!

As odd as it sounds, for the last X years I played two competitive Q comps every week they were on. Tuesday and Thursdays. It was always 18 holes and 9 holes. It got so every shot was nigh on competitive. The club at the start of the season put comp fees up to £4. I thought sod that for a 9 holer comp. So I stopped going in them. To be honest I have enjoyed it. Also I have started to play off yellows maybe that has helped as well.. No matter what am enjoying it.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well the good news is that under WHS the requirement for playing competitions to obtain qualifying scores disappears.

However, to calculate an initial handicap index you will need 3 qualifying or supplementary scores to be registered post January 2018. Therefore I would respectfully suggest you register and play a few supplementary rounds with friends before the end of October and you will get a HI that reflects the way you are currently playing.

You will never have to play in another competition to retain it if you don't wish to do so.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even if playing for fun with mates we always keep score. I can't really see the point of playing without knowing what my score was. The aim of the game is get it in the hole in the least shots, so if you don't know how many shots..? What's the point? Hitting golf balls without a score is what the driving range is for.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well the good news is that under WHS the requirement for playing competitions to obtain qualifying scores disappears.

However, to calculate an initial handicap index you will need 3 qualifying or supplementary scores to be registered post January 2018. Therefore I would respectfully suggest you register and play a few supplementary rounds with friends before the end of October and you will get a HI that reflects the way you are currently playing.

You will never have to play in another competition to retain it if you don't wish to do so.

Mike, outta interest. A few folk at our place stopped playing in the nine hole comps. Not sure whether the price increase was a factor. Anyway we had a email sent out from the club the other week re all competitive comps. 9 and 18 Holes count towards the new to be hcap. So a few have gone back into 9 hole comps. Is that the case then that 9 holes do count.

Cheers me man.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Even if playing for fun with mates we always keep score. I can't really see the point of playing without knowing what my score was. The aim of the game is get it in the hole in the least shots, so if you don't know how many shots..? What's the point? Hitting golf balls without a score is what the driving range is for.

I do keep score when not in a Q comp.Let me tell you when I come in with 21 points the airs a bit blue.

What I do find very odd. A guy I have known for years. Nigh on every time I see him, he has scored 40,41,42 points. It’s a fuddle with his two playing partners. He is playing off 21.Has been for last 10 years. he then goes on to say, “ Ave scored 41 and been beat by PP who has scored 43. He also has not changed hcap for 10 years. What’s that all about.

D

Deleted member 18588

But what do I need with an HI?

As I said I now am playing purely for the enjoyment of striking the ball, playing different shots and just generally enjoying the craic.

A handicap, in my circumstances, is completely irrelevant.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
It sounds like you've reached a kind of Golfing Nirvana. Most of us spend our golfing lives chasing the the dream of 'single figures' or 'Cat 1' or winning a major etc. All these this things are great but can lead to some epic temper tantrums :LOL: or mood swings on course.

Where you are sounds great, just enjoying golf!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I lost interest in playing stroke play outside of competition a couple years, it’s match play, 6’s or 4BBB depending on numbers. I am still massively into club competition golf but I have more fun playing other formats outside of comps.

I think some people become obsessive about there own personal scores and stats, it always makes me laugh when someone tells me there own score when we’ve played 4BBB forgetting about all the putts they awarded themselves when the hole was lost or their partner was in.

Once I lose the enthusiasm for competitions I won’t worry about having a handicap or playing strokeplay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However, to calculate an initial handicap index you will need 3 qualifying or supplementary scores to be registered post January 2018. .

This is incorrect, as we have been informed by England golf, all players with a CONGU handicap will be given a Handicap Index.

According to rulefan this will be achieved by giving the players who have no scores since January 2018 3 scores equivalent to their current handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have nearly 100 players who clearly think and act in the same way i.e no Qualifying scores since at least March 2018 (which is far as our records go back following a change of ISV) so it is quite normal.

I was going to go to the trouble of hustling these players to put in some cards but having had quite some time to think about it I agree with your comment below and dropped the idea.

But what do I need with an HI?

As I said I now am playing purely for the enjoyment of striking the ball, playing different shots and just generally enjoying the craic.

A handicap, in my circumstances, is completely irrelevant.

The comment I would add though if you are playing with mates in fun games but all using your handicaps then with a lot of probability you will be playing off an incorrect handicap.

D

Deleted member 18588

We have nearly 100 players who clearly think and act in the same way i.e no Qualifying scores since at least March 2018 (which is far as our records go back following a change of ISV) so it is quite normal.

I was going to go to the trouble of hustling these players to put in some cards but having had quite some time to think about it I agree with your comment below and dropped the idea.

The comment I would add though if you are playing with mates in fun games but all using your handicaps then with a lot of probability you will be playing off an incorrect handicap.

But the handicaps are irrelevant as we are not playing competitive golf in the accepted sense.

Much more likely to be random challenges such as up and down from a bunker, or NTP with second shot etc;

Works out fine for us.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the handicaps are irrelevant as we are not playing competitive golf in the accepted sense.

Much more likely to be random challenges such as up and down from a bunker, or NTP with second shot etc;

Works out fine for us.

One of the things about this was highlighted to me several years ago was when handicap limits were increased to 54.
We came up with a formula for adjusting all players with a handicap of 28 men and 36 ladies to a handicap to suit there current playing ability. The same thing happened, there were so many players that had not played in a comp for more than two years they never got adjusted and they all probably have handicaps of 28/36 now.

I agree provided all the guys you play with are happy with it why do anything about it.

D

Deleted member 21258

I wouldn't care less if I never played another individual club competition and not played one this year, probably wont either. May try and put in 3 supplementary cards. Only had a competition handicap for probably 4 years out of approx. 10 years I have been a club member and only kept it active to play at other courses, or for entry into the fun captains/presidents days that required a handicap. All my other rounds I don't score with a card, unless I can count back the scores after the round(when a good round).

Social golf is great, sometimes a matchplay with people I'm playing with, sometimes little challenges like nearest the pin from the fairway and so on.

I play for fun, hopefully hit a few good shots, watching playing partners hit good shots and playing different courses, those are the things that make me come back next week with excitement.