Looking for new driver

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
If I could find the fairway 260 out I wouldnt tinker too much. No forgiving driver will fix a slice nor reduce it much. When people talk of forgiving drivers I think more of distance loss on off centre strikes, not fixing slices/hooks etc. No driver will help much in this. If your persistent in trying out the most forgiving driver then the Ping G range is going to be hard to beat. G25/G30 etc

The G30 has been recommended to me as well. Went to look at Rick Shiels' review and it seems like there is not much improvement since the 2012 models (G30 being one of the better ones). The problem is, I can't find a decent review of the V2 Rapture as compared to the G models.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
i would stick with what you have TBH a mate of mine had the V2 best results from a driver he had. got rid with the promise of new equipment... but gone back to the same driver
Might be a good idea to just shorten my shaft to 43.5" - 44" and stick to the V2 first. Thanks for the feedback!

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
If I could find the fairway 260 out I wouldnt tinker too much. No forgiving driver will fix a slice nor reduce it much. When people talk of forgiving drivers I think more of distance loss on off centre strikes, not fixing slices/hooks etc. No driver will help much in this. If your persistent in trying out the most forgiving driver then the Ping G range is going to be hard to beat. G25/G30 etc
G30 has been recommended several times. Even Rick Shiels' review points this out. I'll probably try shortening my shaft length first with the V2 and try it out for some time. If still not happy, will go back to shopping for a new 'more forgiving' driver. Thanks for the feedback!

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
If there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, stick with your current driver. Then, put aside whatever money you were planning on spending on a new driver and use it to pay for lessons with a pro instead.

I guarantee you will be in a better place if you follow this course of action instead.
Sounds good - the only problem is we don't have Pros here that have all that tracking equipment that can really give solid feedback (i know I have a tendency to swing out to in - but how much?).

But you can never go wrong go with a solid pro to give pointers on swing faults. Thanks for the tip!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never tried one but from comments Cobra is one of the most forgiving that others have said.

If you want to hit the ball straighter go for more loft which will naturally give you less side spin.

The weight systems do work.

Be realistic as to what is acceptable in terms of straightness, even most pros hit the fairway not much more than 50% of the time.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I have never tried one but from comments Cobra is one of the most forgiving that others have said.

If you want to hit the ball straighter go for more loft which will naturally give you less side spin.

The weight systems do work.

Be realistic as to what is acceptable in terms of straightness, even most pros hit the fairway not much more than 50% of the time.

Yes, more loft seems logical. But today, i tried a 9.0 with R shaft PING G400 and the ball flight was comparable to my 10.5 with X shaft PING V2 Rapture (is this logical??).

When i tried the G400 10.5 R shaft, the ball is really high.