Look At The Snow!!!

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lightweights! ;)

I drove my 23 miles to work at 5am this morning in a blizzard. One lane of M62 open & 30 mph speed limit.
Still idiots driving at breakneck speeds, wagons probably hitting their limiter.
Not a gritter in sight. I have to go down a long, steep hill and there were three lots of wheel tracks before mine.

The road had not seen any grit.

Someone from highways agency came on the radio saying that they have had 500 vehicles gritting throughout the night. BLOX!!!

The roads were ridiculous.
Overall I had one member of staff that didn't make it under his own steam and I went out to pick him up myself, 2 hours later.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I start to understeer in Vrs, I just tweek the handbreak, especially pulling into the cul-de-sac at 16:00 when the kids are playing out. :D

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Boss called earlier my college is closed again tomorrow so got a few DVD and PlayStation games out bottle of wine, few beers and settling in for another day of pissing the Mrs off (her work also closed)

Shame the course shut......

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a bend near me that is always terrible in snow or ice conditions and due to its camber the number of drivers who come into this bend even slowly, who have a little power on and see the car following its own route to the grass verge with ditch beyond, all have a similar expression that often makes me laugh, most narrowly avoid the ditch but so many end up on the verge for one of two reasons, braking or accellerating.....if only they just had the wit to dip the clutch and steer when it occurs????? :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I find it incredible that after a bit of snow that let's face it was forecast the whole of the South East grinds to a halt and the press coverage is comical....it snows like this regular in Scotland and they deal with it and you never hear peep on the news.
Just as well it is the summer Olympics London is hosted,I could just see the headlines if it was the Winter Olympics it was hosting....

'Winter Olympics cancelled due to too much snow!' :D

Soft southern T###s! :D The Germans missed a trick during the war....If they had dropped snow on the Capital instead of bombs they would have won! :D

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Soft southern T###s! :D The Germans missed a trick during the war....If they had dropped snow on the Capital instead of bombs they would have won! :D

Priceless!!!! :D

You've hit the nail on the head dodger.

Up here in the Pennine regions we get snow regularly during the winter, nothing mentioned. Get an inch or two down south and all hell breaks loose!
Trains cancelled, busses cancelled, bus drivers throwing snow balls at each other!

Jeezusss! It's a bit of snow. I drove to work this morning with several inches of snow on the car roof. Never got out of 2nd gear, took it staedy and I got there without a hitch.
The way the snow's coming down I reckon I may be walking tomorrow. Between 3 or 4 miles (take note Homer!) I'll get up earlier, put on some warm clothing and get pegging it.

One guy who lives 3 miles away failed to turn in this morning blaming the weather. Another colleague turned up who had driven 12 miles in bad conditions.
The guy who knocked faces a right slagging from his workmates, not to mention a definite bollocking from the gaffer!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It doesn't occur to you that the chaos down here is caused by there being more people. The bad weather just exaserbates existing traffic problems.

The bus depot opposite where I work has 130 buses, just for use in Cricklewood alone. Put those out onto ungritted roads, parked cars on both sides of the road leaving one way traffic, people trying to de-ice cars on the road, kids playing in the street chucking snowballs, and it would be chaos.

The less people who drive on the snow, the stickier it is. When 200,000 cars have driven on it, in a one hour period, it is like glass. There aren't 200,000 cars in Scotland.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Phoned the station and they said the trains weren't running and hey couldn't give me a guess when the next one was due. Wasn't going to take the car to the station or walk the 3 miles so phoned in and said I couldn't get in. Just as well as I'm full of cold today anyway.

Convinient that you are full of cold...rofl :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can't agree Murph but you are correct that there aint 200000 cars in Scotland....more like 5million.
BBC this morning had a bit on telling you how to clear the snow off your car before you drive and that instead of driving in 1st gear do it in 2nd or 3rd!!!! WTF?? Who needs to be told that?! Overkill.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I could mention how when I lived in Detroit people got on with it even better than they do up North, in Scotland etc, but I think Murphs post sums it up.

Everywhere is different.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
You imagine those living in Scandanavia, they get that much snow and they'd be going in to work whistling and singing, It's more like a spring day to them.
Problem with the UK is that because it doesn't happen often, folks don't know how to drive in it. The older ones of us remember when we always got snow. The younger generation don't.
Were the tubes running in London? if so, why was commuting a problem? It's quicker to walk in London anyway isn't it?

Happy days :cool:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
This morning I woke up to this!

20090204003.jpg

Now I know how the Mrs. feels. We were promised eight inches and this is all we got!
Still, I decided I'd better take the day off and stay home anyway.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I pissed myself when the guy on BBC (standing in 3" of snow) said we were experiencing ARCTIC conditions. So we are buried in 2 feet of ice and 3 feet of snow for nine months?????

Scare mongering, thats what it is.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
This morning I woke up to this!

20090204003.jpg

Now I know how the Mrs. feels. We were promised eight inches and this is all we got!
Still, I decided I'd better take the day off and stay home anyway.

Clive, this has to be the funniest post I have read in ages on here. Cheers mate, I even showed ot to the spouse last night and she laughed too.