Long Putters / Belly Putters

T

thecraw

Sorry.....should have pointed that out.............yes, I lift the putter with my two hands and I putt and hold it with my two hands. I dont put another part of the putter against my body when I putt. It only touches my two hands. Hope that clears it up for you. You're on about putting technique and thats not what we're on about.

So why category knickers getting twisted? They are legal, they are used in the same way, they do the same job!

The tradition years ago was to empty your chamber pot out into the street. Should we stop using toilets and empty our crap onto the streets because its tradition? Boycott the cludgy because its not traditional.

Goalkeeping glove, they're not traditional and must offer a modern keeper an unfair advantage, better grip in all weather's etc, can't be in keeping with the game!

Did old Tom Morris wear spikes and gloves, have GPS, an electric trolley???

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The days of the anchored putters are numbered, momentum is gathering to get them canned.

Craw start practicing with a proper putter again:ears:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
So why category knickers getting twisted? They are legal, they are used in the same way, they do the same job!

The tradition years ago was to empty your chamber pot out into the street. Should we stop using toilets and empty our crap onto the streets because its tradition? Boycott the cludgy because its not traditional.

Goalkeeping glove, they're not traditional and must offer a modern keeper an unfair advantage, better grip in all weather's etc, can't be in keeping with the game!

Did old Tom Morris wear spikes and gloves, have GPS, an electric trolley???

Big Ernie said "as long as it's legal I'll cheat with the rest of them". I'm away outside for the loo.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried a belly putter for the first time on the course at the end of November and haven't even considered going back since. With my old putter I started struggling with short putts due to some yippiness with my wrists but the belly putter completely takes them out of the equation and my short putting is now as good if not better than it was before.

What it allows me to do is to line up the putter and then completely forget about the direction I want to hit the putt (due to the fact that I can trust that the putter face is going to return to the exact same position it started in) and it allows me to just focus on the speed, which is what I've always done when I've been putting well. I also found with my old putter that some days I was literally mishitting most of my putts, but with the belly I rarely dont strike a putt properly.

Thats not to say that I don't still 3 putt or miss the little short ones, as I do, just not as often. My putts per round stat has come down to 30.58 compared to 32.38 with my old putter and my putts per GIR has gone down from 1.98 to 1.90 (and with the belly I have been putting on only winter standard greens).

However, besides all of that, the main thing that the belly putter has done for me is that it has helped me to enjoy putting again. I used to see putting as the bain of my round, and dreaded pulling the flat stick out after hitting a good shot into the green. Now I genuinely enjoy pulling out my putter, and it has become new and exciting again.

Having said all that I can see that belly/long putters don't work for eveyone and I have seen a fair few people try them, only to revert straight back to their old putters after 1 or 2 rounds, but for me, its definitely staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

I am also trying not to get too attached to my new baby however as I do personally believe that the belly putter should be banned. (along with any other club/putter that is anochored to the body) So I want to make sure that if it happens, I'll be ready for the switch back. I reckon it probably is too late for them to ban it (since Bradley won the USPGA with one) but I think they should, even though I would be annoyed that I was going to have to joust with those evil little right to left 3 footers without my battle lance!!