London Golf

Dornenglanz

Hacker
Visit site
I live in Hampshire, but am often in London for ~4 days a week. I've got a little flat in Peckham and I work in Angel. What are the best options for getting some practice or a round in? Do people head out into Surrey? Is it insanely busy and crowded, as the whole of London descends on the few courses in travelling distance?

I don't run a car in London either, so transporting clubs could be a challenge.

Any thoughts?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live in Hampshire, but am often in London for ~4 days a week. I've got a little flat in Peckham and I work in Angel. What are the best options for getting some practice or a round in? Do people head out into Surrey? Is it insanely busy and crowded, as the whole of London descends on the few courses in travelling distance?

I don't run a car in London either, so transporting clubs could be a challenge.

Any thoughts?

What times of day would you be looking to play? Weekdays / weekends? Do you have a car?

From Peckham I would have thought going south east towards sundridge Park / chislehurst would be best. There are a couple of places in richmond, but Peckham to Richmond in traffic would be tiresome.

There is also a driving range at the 02, probably very expensive. Again, going somewhere like sidcup might be a better option.

Really though, it depends on what time of day you’d likely be doing the journey and by car / public transport.

Another option centrally is urban golf simulators. They do a decent lunchtime deal, used to be £10 for an hour with lunch. Not sure if they still do.

EDIT: you don’t have a car, I’m blind!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not good on south London, but there are plenty of courses in North London that are within a short walk of public transport and probably have decent twilight rates.

Off the top of my head, Hendon, south Herts, North middx, Hadley wood, crews hill. All would be great on a summers evening. I slightly prefer Hendon, hw and Ch.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
I recently started a similar thread and was given loads of great suggestions so might be worth having a search for that.

I ended up joining Chislehurst in the end, which seems to be pretty accessible from Peckham. I just take my clubs on the train to Bickley and get the bus for a few stops from there which really isn't a hardship. I've always found the course to be quiet midweek as well, and you can go off on 10th if the 1st tee seems a bit busy so I never struggle to get round in 2 and a half hours.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nearest to Peckham is Dulwich and Sydenham, however for what you're looking for perhaps Bromley golf centre which is about 20 mins walk from Bromley South train station. I know it's only 9 hole and a muni, but at least its cheap and relatively accessible.
Sadly Peckham isn't a place easily got away from without transport for things like golf.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not good on south London, but there are plenty of courses in North London that are within a short walk of public transport and probably have decent twilight rates.

Off the top of my head, Hendon, south Herts, North middx, Hadley wood, crews hill. All would be great on a summers evening. I slightly prefer Hendon, hw and Ch.

If he's coming from the Angel on the Northern line some of these could be a mission to get too for a 'quick' round ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dulwich & Sydenham Hill is definitely the nearest. The bus from Peckham to Dulwich goes round the houses a bit but is do-able. But if coming straight from work, then Sydenham Hill station is 15 mins from Victoria and the course a few minutes walk from there.