Local Pro-Ams...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo is hosting a regional PGA Pro-Am at the end of August and they're looking for people to sign up to play in it.
Now,at first glance, I might have been all over this.
Coffee, bacon roll, 18 with a Pro, dinner and prizes.....
But they want £90....
None of the Pros are "household names" , some may know some of them from local clubs but I've not heard of any of them.
The club gets virtually nothing, apparently, from the day except a cut of the fee for food...plus any drinks before or after...

Sounds expensive.....is it?
I've no experience of these type of Pro-Ams..only ones I've played in have been through winning competitions

We're being asked to, effectively, pay 90 quid for a bacon roll, a cuppa, company of a Pro for a round and dinner after, maybe a prize if we're lucky......
I'm not convinced that's value for money.....

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty standard pricing I'd say
Normally approx £90-120 per player in my area too
Never played 1, but know mates that have
You're paying really for the pros prize money that's all, and the fantastic experience of playing with a local club pro, that may or not, beat your score
( a mate of mine beat his pros score by 10 last time, ageing pro, rarely plays )

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They were supposed to be doing a seniors pro-am at our place this year, was 30 quid for members but that didnt include food or 50 quid for non members, think its been cancelled now tho

Pro ams tend to range from anything from 50 quid to several hundred i dont mind paying to go and play a decent course in the process but not for my home course, also prefer to do it when i enter with the pro (ie i know the pro beforehand rather than being allocated one)

As much as the Zoo is a nice enough course 90 quid is utterly ridiculous for a members entry imho

D

Deleted member 15344

That's about par for the course for the local PGA Pro Am's and what I pay when I play them

They have provide a prize fund for the pros , prizes for the Am's , pay the PGA to host it as well.

You get the odd up and coming pro - we played with a guy who is a tour pro now and it's an enjoyable day

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's about par for the course for the local PGA Pro Am's and what I pay when I play them

They have provide a prize fund for the pros , prizes for the Am's , pay the PGA to host it as well.

You get the odd up and coming pro - we played with a guy who is a tour pro now and it's an enjoyable day

for members? ones ive seen this year bar Woburn locally have all been cheaper than this for non members

D

Deleted member 15344

for members? ones ive seen this year bar Woburn locally have all been cheaper than this for non members
Are they PGA east Pro Am's ? The cheapest I pay normally is Newmarket Links at £80 and it doesn't matter if it's a member or not- ours is £80 and there is a lot on prizes

D

Deleted member 16999

The Zoo is hosting a regional PGA Pro-Am at the end of August and they're looking for people to sign up to play in it.
Now,at first glance, I might have been all over this.
Coffee, bacon roll, 18 with a Pro, dinner and prizes.....
But they want £90....
None of the Pros are "household names" , some may know some of them from local clubs but I've not heard of any of them.
The club gets virtually nothing, apparently, from the day except a cut of the fee for food...plus any drinks before or after...

Sounds expensive.....is it?
I've no experience of these type of Pro-Ams..only ones I've played in have been through winning competitions

We're being asked to, effectively, pay 90 quid for a bacon roll, a cuppa, company of a Pro for a round and dinner after, maybe a prize if we're lucky......
I'm not convinced that's value for money.....
What's the format? As Moogie said that's similar to this area, but the formats differ event to event, either 4BBB or 4 Man team etc, some Pro's get their own teams/partners together and some let the organisers arrange.

It's popluar in the NE, especially the Archerfield one, but some are still £90.00 for a course costing £20.00 to play midweek.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are they PGA east Pro Am's ? The cheapest I pay normally is Newmarket Links at £80 and it doesn't matter if it's a member or not- ours is £80 and there is a lot on prizes

some are some arent, may have been looking at the prices for ones which would be considered winter too. not a fan that a member pays the same as a non member either, should at least be some green fee concession

D

Deleted member 15344

some are some arent, may have been looking at the prices for ones which would be considered winter too. not a fan that a member pays the same as a non member either, should at least be some green fee concession

The winter series ones are around £50

The summer ones don't really cover the green fees - clubs don't make money out of them _ all entrance fees goes towards prizes for both pros and Am's plus food

D

Deleted member 1147

Local (Derbyshire PGA) events I've played have been about £40.
The Midland Masters event at Kedleston (Midland PGA) was £100

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our regional Pro Ams are £80 the county ones are £55

Normally a good day out, however value for money?

Maybe not but then again it is not really about a good value day

Broken down comes to;

Green Fee normally £30-40
Bacon roll and coffee £5
2 course meal £15

So clearly not great value for the regionals but then again 1st prize for the ams was a 917 driver 2nd prize a stand bag so if you're lucky it is amazing value.

We came third and got half a dozen pro v's and a shirt

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place does it for £200 split between the 3 amateurs. I've never played as I refuse to pay that to play my own course, with or without a pro!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup, sounds about right. I'll happily pay it to play some of the nicer regional courses...but would never pay it to play my own course!

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of these Pro Ams help out a lot of assistant pros - the regional pro Am's you could be playing with guys on the way to a tour card , we had Tyrell Hatton one Pro Am at John O Gaunt and without the Pro Am's a lot of them wouldn't survive and be lost to golf. The regionals the entry fee should be going to the Am prizes and Pro prizes - it may cost me £80 to enter but in that time I have won - a gps , a Nikon laser , water proofs , bags , shoes plus lots more prizes that will be worth more than entrance fees I have paid - plus learning from the Pros whilst you play is invaluable - I enjoy everyone I play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had the Jamega Tour this year which was £80 per head to play our own course for the cost of a butty and a rolling carvery after. These guys are arguably a notch up from local assistants. I didn't play as I wasn't available but the course was set up impeccably and everyone enjoyed it. Obviously the money goes to the prize pot. Everyone enjoyed the day and I'll get involved next year. I saw some of the guys on the practice ground the day before, prior to a practice round and the way they hit it was superb but it shows how hard it is to make a living and breakthrough even at that level