Lob Or Chip n Run ????????????

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nearly always a chip and run for me. Used to try and put the ball in the air until I went out on a round with one of the seniors at my club. Just a friendly knock about so he got me playing the shot twice, once with a chip and run and once with a higher lob. Needless to say the chip and run finished up nearer the hole on most occasions.

With the fairways and temp greens as solid as they were last week, everything from about 150 yards in was a chip and run.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mrmotorbikeman it is a case of you are used to playing that type of shot & you feel the right amount of swing for the shot with that club & that type of shot to get what you want.

Consistency here is the key word.

Oh & you are not odd, though it would be as well to practice a proper chip'n'run with something like a 9 iron. Get to know your landing point in relation to where it roles out. Experiment with length of swing for what you get. Will give you the extra arrow in your quiver.

Oh & to find out what a real high floater is the 60 or 64 degree lob is something you'll need to try out... beg, borrow, or her'hum.

High floater is drop land & stop.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
finally got out for my first round of 2009, so having been avidly following this thread I decided to try some of what has been recommended.

the result was a much more successful short game both chipping and pitch & run. definitely down to whichever shot you pick, commit!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There have been a few remarks about committing to the shot and this is so true but it also points me to % golf in that if you fail to commit to a lob shot or a chip/pitch and run shot, which shot is likely to come off worse?

In my experience, if the lob shot doesnt get full commitment and accuracy it can result in a disasterous shot.
Failing to commit to a chip/pitch and run unless you bunker it results only in a shorter distance in nearly every case.
%golf%golf%golf%golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'll agree with you on that one Herb!

A poor chip'n'run will beat a poor lob any day. Don't commit to the shot on a lob and anything can happen.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As pointed out a fluffed chip'n'run is more likely to be less damaging than a badly exected lob any day of the week.

Many courses where aprons are a decent size can allow the use of putter from off the green. Some players even have made a habit of using a bunted hybrid or fairway wood at every opertunity.

I've been known to use 3 or 4 iron from off the green for really long chip'n'runs, or a similar difference with a putting stroke with a 3 or 4 iron... Works a treat & ironically where usable can be one of the safest in summer on the right type of course. Even sunk a fair few of these from off the green too, whether a 3 iron, 4 iron, right up to as much as a 9 iron downhill.

mrmotorbikeman

Club Champion
Visit site
mrmotorbikeman it is a case of you are used to playing that type of shot & you feel the right amount of swing for the shot with that club & that type of shot to get what you want.

Oh & you are not odd, though it would be as well to practice a proper chip'n'run with something like a 9 iron. Get to know your landing point in relation to where it roles out. Experiment with length of swing for what you get. Will give you the extra arrow in your quiver.

Oh & to find out what a real high floater is the 60 or 64 degree lob is something you'll need to try out... beg, borrow, or her'hum.

i think it is likely it is down to me playing that type of shot more often, therefore developing more of a feel for it. that undefinable variable, feel.

i agree about the practice, it is always something that i 'mean' to do....

will also try a 60* one day when i can afford to buy one if i like one!

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played today and didn't get the lob wedge out once, used 8 or 7 iron only had got up and down every time, thus leading to a 41 pts. :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done JC :). It's certainly easier when you use the right percentage option tools for the job.

41 points :eek: :eek:. Feels good, doesn't it. Do you want to declare your current h/cap and what you hope it will be by the end of the year?

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Current is 15.9 and hope to halve it by the end of the year. Our pro has given all juniors the option of lessons every other sunday for 12 weeks if they represented the club in the North Herts Junior League, and he is aiming that these lessons he will "achieve a 50% cut in their current handicap". So bring on the summer :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great I sentive that and a wise move for the future of the club definitly. I heard my pro telling a young lad that he would give him a free round every Saturday this year as long as he kept his lessons up. Good deal or what!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

i think it is likely it is down to me playing that type of shot more often, therefore developing more of a feel for it. that undefinable variable, feel.

Lol, thought that was what I said, albiet in a different way... :D

mikest

Club Champion
www.middlesbroughgolfclub.co.uk
I play with a junior who's 12 years old and plays off the same handicap as me (4 at the minute) and I can guarantee he plays the chip and run better than the majority of posters on here, due to the fact his dad (a good friend of mine) drilled it in to him that unless he had to go over something he had to run it at the hole. The kid is a fantastic player, especially given his age, and I have no doubt he will be playing of a + handicap within a few years so to lable all juniors as "lobbers" is a little bit unfair for me, its like saying all seniors hit a fairway wood in low from 150 yards. Plus I think it's great to see the fearless-ness of these young lads (and girls) who will take any shot on, and also have the skill/commitment to perfect certain shots such as a lob shot. I find this attitude is much more uncommon in older players. Also a lot of my mates in their late 20's early 30's are facinated by the lob shot but dont seem as adaptable as many juniors to be coached out of this thinking. Good advice is given on this thread, if theres nothing to lob it over why limit your chances of getting it close to the pin, chip and run all the way is the percentage shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is something kind of scary watching a junior play. I'm pretty sure through my rose tinted glasses that I was the same but they have no sense of fear or failure. I know I'd often try and hit a big hook/slice to get around trees if I missed a fairway or try something magical around the green but old age (maybe a bit of common sense) means I am far more conservative these days. The kids at my club will take on all kinds of shots and even when they don't come off they have the skill to still get up and down.