Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 38 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whether or not it’s done right ( and that’s another discussion) the PGA and I suspect the European tour gives back to golf. Grants, encouraging young players etc etc.Again whether it could be done better Is open to discussion.
All I see from the LIV tour is golfers wanting to get rich quick and not put anything back into the game. A game in which they got rich ironically playing the PGA and European tours. They will win vast sums of money playing in meaningless competitions, yet give nothing back to the game.

Albo

Visit site
It CAN be managed. And they were fortunate at Centurion that no-one from another group made a charge, so it was similar to a 'normal' tournament with the leaders together. But that won't happen every time and they'll need to find a way of switching holes to capture that 'excitement' in future events. It's not all that different to 'normal' tournaments when someone comes from several shots back on the last day - just another 'challenge' that has to be managed by the producer/director.
Yeah I was thinking about that and agree its similar in someone shooting a low number early doors or the lead pair dropping away. But I personally still feel that not all playing the same holes in the same order will be loss overall. Extream example but the 17th at Sawgrass, playing that as thr 4th hole of your round before you make a charge up the leaderboard or even with the lead will be a different prospect to approaching it on the 2nd to last hole. Same hole, same yaedage, yes, but pressure makes things like that a lot tougher. Many courses (recently) are built or at least (from the past) have very well known holes late in the round. Take the 17th at St Andrews, tee shot over the hotel, would be the same hole if it was the 4th but seems more pressured being late in the round.
Maybe that's more from years of golf having been played the same way and im just used to the way it always has been, but would Jean van de Velde's blow up at Carnoustie be as memorable (in relative LIV terms, understanding that LIV dont want to be the open) had that happened on the 12th hole while Lawrie was on the 7th and Leonard on the 17th? Where do the crowd go? TV cameras can follow all the groups but people at the venue can't. And if they choose to sit by number 16 all day they may end up missing everything.

I get that LIV don't care and that its all sports washing. Just thinking out loud really

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The PGA probably needed a good shake-up......although money coming from the Saudi's leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

If the PGA Tour needs a shake up, throwing huge amounts of money at players for events without a cut is not the way to do it.

Top tier golf could be shaken up in other ways. 36 hole stroke followed by a cut and matchplay?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the PGA Tour needs a shake up, throwing huge amounts of money at players for events without a cut is not the way to do it.

Top tier golf could be shaken up in other ways. 36 hole stroke followed by a cut and matchplay?
While there can be right to the death great matchplay, it more often is dull watching. Matches dont fully reflect the scoring, can end early, there are only two in the picture in a final rather than multi potential winners in the last 9, and dont provide for the late swings of several shots that can happen in strokeplay. Not against matchplay itself. For us its great fun. And has provided moments of Ryder Cup drama. But too likely to provide damp squibs than stroke play. It isnt suited to sport as entertainment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about that and agree its similar in someone shooting a low number early doors or the lead pair dropping away. But I personally still feel that not all playing the same holes in the same order will be loss overall. Extream example but the 17th at Sawgrass, playing that as thr 4th hole of your round before you make a charge up the leaderboard or even with the lead will be a different prospect to approaching it on the 2nd to last hole. Same hole, same yaedage, yes, but pressure makes things like that a lot tougher. Many courses (recently) are built or at least (from the past) have very well known holes late in the round. Take the 17th at St Andrews, tee shot over the hotel, would be the same hole if it was the 4th but seems more pressured being late in the round.
Maybe that's more from years of golf having been played the same way and im just used to the way it always has been, but would Jean van de Velde's blow up at Carnoustie be as memorable (in relative LIV terms, understanding that LIV dont want to be the open) had that happened on the 12th hole while Lawrie was on the 7th and Leonard on the 17th? Where do the crowd go? TV cameras can follow all the groups but people at the venue can't. And if they choose to sit by number 16 all day they may end up missing everything.
It's just the same as the comps at my club, we have a three-tee start. If you start on the 13th you kind of do all the easy holes first and finish with the toughest run of six, which never works out well for me. If you start on the 8th though you get the two par 5s out of the way immediately which isn't so bad. While it maybe takes the pressure off some holes, it can apply pressure more on other holes that turn up later in your round.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have always liked the idea of having a cut on each day. It allows for a more condensed field on the final day with more opportunity to cover everyone and it injects a bit of jeopardy and competition on every day of the event.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have gone for the really not fussed vote. Ignoring the polticial/attrocities element and sticking to just the golf, I like watching golf but, strangely, outside of the majors, I really do not care who is playing or where or on what tour. Just one of those things, outside of big events like the Majors, Wimbledon or the Olympics where I support the nearest to a home competititor, I really have a hard time getting behind solo participants in sport. Team games, whole different matter, I have teams I follow in all sorts of leagues over various sports and I appreciate the local rivalries etc. Individual sport just does not engender the same response in me, I watch it and I enjoy it but rarely to I feel a desire to watcha particular solo sportsman to passionalately cheer for someone to win, I am the same with F1, like watching the racing and the spectacle but I am really not rooting for any particular person to win.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I get that LIV don't care and that its all sports washing. Just thinking out loud really
I agree. Many/most courses have a couple of relative simple holes to start - TOC for example - and the finish is much tougher - again TOC again, even though it was originally laid out 'backwards'. Having the leaders start on 1 mitigates that somewhat - though I wouldn't describe Centurion's 1st as 'easy'! Carnoustie maybe - followed by a wonderful 'monster'. The course I play at starts with a 160-ish Par 3 with water front, back, left and right! Warm-up is highly advisable!

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
I agree. Many/most courses have a couple of relative simple holes to start - TOC for example - and the finish is much tougher - again TOC again, even though it was originally laid out 'backwards'. Having the leaders start on 1 mitigates that somewhat - though I wouldn't describe Centurion's 1st as 'easy'! Carnoustie maybe - followed by a wonderful 'monster'. The course I play at starts with a 160-ish Par 3 with water front, back, left and right! Warm-up is highly advisable!
Id not fancy that tee shot when i've arrived late, jumped out of the car and hot footed it to the first tee!

WGCRider

Visit site
It's a tap in for Nay as far as I'm concerned. I will judge you by the company you keep. As far as I'm concerned Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Brooks and Phil are clearly homophobic, anti LGBT and have no regard for basic human rights. It's straight forward. It's also transparent that they have a "price".

Just today Bryson is in the papers saying we should look at the good the saudi's are doing. Total idiot - that's exactly what they have bribed him to say. Go away.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a tap in for Nay as far as I'm concerned. I will judge you by the company you keep. As far as I'm concerned Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Brooks and Phil are clearly homophobic, anti LGBT and have no regard for basic human rights. It's straight forward. It's also transparent that they have a "price".

Just today Bryson is in the papers saying we should look at the good the saudi's are doing. Total idiot - that's exactly what they have bribed him to say. Go away.

BdC said something about not worrying what is in the past. He really doesn't know people, it would seem.

Mandofred

Visit site

There are all kinds of ways to shake things up.....in cycling circles Devil Takes the Hindmost comes to mind.....

I'm assuming that letting the Tasmanian devil loose
taz-mania.gif
isn't acceptable........deaths are probably a no-go for golfers.....

D

Deleted member 23270

That wouldn't do anything to break the PGA monopoly. It needs top players to leave their tour before anything will change.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No fans in attendance at the practice day or pro am.

Apparently the red carpet has not been rolled out in Portland this week.