Opinions on BRS - Help me!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You do realise your last sentence is a case when looking for the pluses of using BRS?

For me the 'inconvenience' of making a call to the pro shop is inconsequential compared with what I see as the negatives of a BRS (for other than formal club competitions) - and the members of my club agreed by a large majority when rejecting a tee booking system for casual play following the 6month pilot we ran.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me the 'inconvenience' of making a call to the pro shop is inconsequential compared with what I see as the negatives of a BRS (for other than formal club competitions) - and the members of my club agreed by a large majority when rejecting a tee booking system for casual play following the 6month pilot we ran.

My son was arranging a night out with his friends a while back. His phone was pinging back and forth. Why don't you just ring and speak to each other. He and my daughter turned around, shook their heads and laughed. 'We don't speak to each other dad, how old are you'?

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I spoke to a golf club on the phone to organise a round, not my own club as we have BRS. If I have a question I email it. If they don't reply I will pick another course to play. Ringing the pro shop, keeping that system, will all disappear over time due to younger age groups coming through.

As long as your club and members are content with the system you have, that is all that matters.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Come on Gordon, that’s 2 threads in 2 days you’ve asked other people to make a decision! :rofl:

Anymore cheek from you young man and I'll make it 3 in 3 days :ears: :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

The system let them book. We didn't let them play at that time. Hardly rocket science. They turned up and were told no-one goes out and the tee is effectively closed until the last group in the comp has gone out

Aaah I see.......makes perfect sense now :thup:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Thanks for all the comments folks. They more or less echo the opinions expressed by the members. We're now going to have another members' meeting next month where the system will be demonstrated & a lively discussion will take place.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Turns out we have 36 visitors booked on Sunday, normally that would be fine.
But our club championship qualifier was abandoned last week because of flooding and rescheduled for Sunday.:eek:

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Turns out we have 36 visitors booked on Sunday, normally that would be fine.
But our club championship qualifier was abandoned last week because of flooding and rescheduled for Sunday.:eek:

So who are the numpties that didn't check what was booked in before rescheduling the competition.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thos sounds typical of a club unwilling to embrace change for the better by using the if it's not broke it doesn't need fixed attitude.

As I've said from the outset, BRS can be tailored to all the clubs needs and those who say it can't work for them are really not wanting to change or have not explored all what BRS can offer fully.

At the end of the day as long as you are happy and the membership is happy then that's really all that matters, regardless of any outsiders opinions.

D

Deleted member 16999

The system let them book. We didn't let them play at that time. Hardly rocket science. They turned up and were told no-one goes out and the tee is effectively closed until the last group in the comp has gone out
The system will only let visitors book time slots that YOUR CLUB has made available,
You’ve already admitted your RAGC admin is rubbish.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
So who are the numpties that didn't check what was booked in before rescheduling the competition.

Seemingly the booking was made 6 months ago and wasn't spotted. We have a few new/younger guys on our committee keen as mustard and they're trying their best to help the club.
They're by no means numpties, a lot of good changes have been made, they're just doing a thankless job for nought.
**** happens, it's not the end of the world to reschedule again .

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Run a pilot for a few months...?

I have never implemented BRS but have done other pieces of software for work and for my rugby club.

1 month is no where near enough time to get rid of the kinks and get people used to using it. A 1 month trial is just a set up for failure in my opinion

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what the Committee planned to do but there are members (young ones) dead against that .

A committee is elected by the members to represent the members. Once elected they make decisions on behalf of the members - and some of these some members will not like. But if the committee think that a BRS might be beneficial to the membership in the long run, once the members have to used to it, then it is within their remit as a democratically elected body to make such a decision - even if that is against the apparent wishes of a majority of members. Run the pilot - see how it goes - and then once you have the evidence and members know what a BRS means for them - rather 'we're having a BRS' - the membership votes YES/NO on keeping it given their now proper understanding of what it is; what it offers, and how it will affect them.

There was some strong opposition to a BRS in our place - and opposition to a pilot - but we went with the pilot as we knew that we'd get a vote after the 6 month pilot. Some liked it better than they'd imagined they would; it worked well for some situations and not so well in others (the 'does the shoe fit' challenge that there will always be with something new like this); and for many it confirmed their opposition. The vote was against, but not I think as against as it was prior to the trial.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A committee is elected by the members to represent the members. Once elected they make decisions on behalf of the members - and some of these some members will not like. But if the committee think that a BRS might be beneficial to the membership in the long run, once the members have to used to it, then it is within their remit as a democratically elected body to make such a decision - even if that is against the apparent wishes of a majority of members. Run the pilot - see how it goes - and then once you have the evidence and members know what a BRS means for them - rather 'we're having a BRS' - the membership votes YES/NO on keeping it given their now proper understanding of what it is; what it offers, and how it will affect them.

There was some strong opposition to a BRS in our place - and opposition to a pilot - but we went with the pilot as we knew that we'd get a vote after the 6 month pilot. Some liked it better than they'd imagined they would; it worked well for some situations and not so well in others (the 'does the shoe fit' challenge that there will always be with something new like this); and for many it confirmed their opposition. The vote was against, but not I think as against as it was prior to the trial.
My view entirely.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thos sounds typical of a club unwilling to embrace change for the better by using the if it's not broke it doesn't need fixed attitude.

As I've said from the outset, BRS can be tailored to all the clubs needs and those who say it can't work for them are really not wanting to change or have not explored all what BRS can offer fully.

At the end of the day as long as you are happy and the membership is happy then that's really all that matters, regardless of any outsiders opinions.

We most certainly do try and embrace change. We just did not see the need for a tee booking system that for the vast majority seemed destined to remove flexibility from their ability to turn up and play.

And you are quite right. It ain't broke for us - though there were issues (largely I think the Pro shop having to field enquiries from potential visitors - which is understandable). I accept that we are very fortunate in that we do not (currently) depend upon significant numbers of visitor bookings to maintain our levels of financing - though we are keen to show off our club and course. It's a balancing act isn't it. Clearly if our circumstances changed significantly then we would most probably revisit things if we felt that we had to make tee times more readily available to the casual visitor.