• Sitting on the fence - leaning nay

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 38 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 25172

As the old thread on it goes in circles and the fact that someone mentioned it, here it is. The poll on LIV to see where the forum (and not only those who can be bothered replying in the original thread) stands.

For or against? Couldn't care less perhaps?

Your vote cannot be changed and it will not display who has voted what. Poll closing in a week. The result will only show after you placed your vote.

Let's go.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess it slightly depends on what you mean by for or against. It doesn't really interest me, but I am not particularly irate about golfers going on it, I doubt I'll watch it though.

Albo

Visit site
Absolutely couln't care one way or the other. Its a golf thing, I like golf things generally, its free and I think thats a great thing. Its funded by bad guys and is fracturing the golf landscape.
I could swing either way on it but I wont, I will remain not caring.

I watched some of the London event on day 1 as a curosity, I didnt watch days 2 or 3. I don't think i'll seek out the next even whenever thats on.

I thought the team part of it was going to be a good addition, but it has been badly implemented. Changing players even by event seems odd and a gimic, the teams arent really a team just individuals playing under a bad logo and bad name

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't discovered how to watch it yet. Any clues? If it is internet based then as I have less than 2 Mbps download, I will probably say No.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I haven't discovered how to watch it yet. Any clues? If it is internet based then as I have less than 2 Mbps download, I will probably say No.
Serves you right for living in a remote - but gorgeous (at least in Summer) - area! Not envious at all!
Can/could having Sky help? If you have it of course!

Albo

Visit site
It is internet based. Youtube streaming.
For what its worth, the shoy gun start was great for the first 10 mins coverage. At a normal tour event first tee players tee off and you see that on tv then nothing while they walk to ball, work out what to do etc, then hit then walk, its not till you get a good few groups out that tv has a lot to show.
Shotgun start avoids that for the viewer, so you see lots and lots of shots straight away no waiting. However, after you have seen the tee shots of the more famous (DJ, Phil, Westwood etc) there are quickly too many shots to pick from and the tv has to show the best so you know 10 mins in when they cut to an unknown guy with a 40ft putt that its going in before he hits it.
Pros and cons

RichA

Visit site
I don't watch any pro golf apart from the majors and Ryder Cup.
Even the guys I know who watch any old golf tournament that's on Sky don't seem that interested in it.

D

Deleted member 25172

For anything that can come up with the Fireballs, and the Majesticks, etc. It has to be nay.

But Garcia is super excited as his team is already set for the week (before the supposed draft), and they will also change both the logo and the team name soon. A shame for those 2nd and 3rd generation die hard Fireball supporters.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But Garcia is super excited as his team is already set for the week (before the supposed draft), and they will also change both the logo and the team name soon. A shame for those 2nd and 3rd generation die hard Fireball supporters.

This tickled me ???

I’m someone a poor attention span with TV and like @RichA I can find golf a great way of drifting off to sleep while located on the sofa, the only golf I generally stay awake for is the masters. The recent US open was the only other TV golf I’ve been engaged in.

I love the active leaderboard as the shot gun start effectively has everyone on the same hole in their round. The downside as mentioned is a team only being solid or one event.

I’m in the fence leaning towards yay, but I think as the depth improves I’ll be more yay.

Ps… I don’t like yay.

Albo

Visit site
This tickled me ???

I’m someone a poor attention span with TV and like @RichA I can find golf a great way of drifting off to sleep while located on the sofa, the only golf I generally stay awake for is the masters. The recent US open was the only other TV golf I’ve been engaged in.

I love the active leaderboard as the shot gun start effectively has everyone on the same hole in their round. The downside as mentioned is a team only being solid or one event.

I’m in the fence leaning towards yay, but I think as the depth improves I’ll be more yay.

Ps… I don’t like yay.
I think the shotgun start loses a great deal from the event, one of the great things about the Masters for example is seeing how the top groups progress through the back 9, someone makes eagle on 15 to get within a shot of the leader who has just made par on 13, adds a lot to the event, where as I think if the leader is playing the 2nd as his 13th hole it loses that building to a crescendo.
Also, take the US last week with Willy Z and Matt on the last green, that was excellent TV. Wouldnt be the same if they were finishing on holes 18 and 6 completely seperately both effectivly having an important putt on the last green but on different parts of the course.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But LIV are not trying to be the masters of open and they’re not aiming for 10 hours stream coverage. Last week I did not start watching until the last three groups teed off.

I’m not arguing if it’s wrong or right fit golf, it’s suits my attention span when watching TV golf.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For me Professional golf went to the dogs years ago.
Too much money, too much restricted viewing, boring emphasis on distance, very few individual swings left, too many statistics, etc, etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I voted 'leaning yay' but it was a toss-up between that and 'don't care'. It's a bit of a shake-up and I don't think it's going away soon so we'll see how it plays out. If I can watch the next event then I will do (I missed most of the first one as it was on in the daytime).

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The teams are contrived, pointless and annoying.

Shotgun starts could have their place for those who want condensed time. But there's advantages and disadvantages depending on which hole you start on.

Oil money talks. Similarly, we can't be far from the day when a Premier League footy match(es) takes place in Saudi.

They just need to find the price at which the clubs/authorities to cave in.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the shotgun start loses a great deal from the event, one of the great things about the Masters for example is seeing how the top groups progress through the back 9, someone makes eagle on 15 to get within a shot of the leader who has just made par on 13, adds a lot to the event, where as I think if the leader is playing the 2nd as his 13th hole it loses that building to a crescendo.
Also, take the US last week with Willy Z and Matt on the last green, that was excellent TV. Wouldnt be the same if they were finishing on holes 18 and 6 completely seperately both effectivly having an important putt on the last green but on different parts of the course.
It CAN be managed. And they were fortunate at Centurion that no-one from another group made a charge, so it was similar to a 'normal' tournament with the leaders together. But that won't happen every time and they'll need to find a way of switching holes to capture that 'excitement' in future events. It's not all that different to 'normal' tournaments when someone comes from several shots back on the last day - just another 'challenge' that has to be managed by the producer/director.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I went 'on fence/leaning yay' but if there had been a simple on the fence option I'd have taken that

'Leaning yay' because i'd like to see changes to the pgat dominance/US centric aspect of the game
(and other things too, i.e the cut players currently getting no prize money, its no sting for the rich boys but so many elite pro's that in any other mainstream sport wouldn't dream of 'working' without at least a basic wage even if they had a bad week)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yay

Enjoyed the experience live.
Think theres something in the team format - but needs fine tuning.
5 Hours and done - brilliant, way better viewing.

Lets go Majestics

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oil money talks. Similarly, we can't be far from the day when a Premier League footy match(es) takes place in Saudi.
Saudi, China, US? Take your pick.

It happens in American football already, games are played over here, have been for a while. Big commercial benefits.