Litter Louts....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I despair about litter. I visited Scandinavia on a school cruise in 1971 (SS Uganda - some older Scots kids here might remember these cruises!). I was astonished that was absolutely no litter in Copenhagen, Helsinki and Oslo - and Glasgow seem a s**thole by comparison.

So I vowed there and then to never again drop a scrap of little. And I think I can safely say that in the subsequent 42yrs I have held to my pledge - not a scrap, not a sweetpaper - nothing - and anything that escapes I chase after and pick up.

As far as litter on the golf course - and in that I include cigarette ends!! - disgraceful. But I pick it up (other than cigarette ends which are revolting) when I see it and carry it to the nearest bin. Ity's easy - why do some find it so difficult or not care - dunno - I despair at some folks

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do smokers think that litter doesn't apply to them, especially in doorways to places where they now congregate to kill themselves.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are the insides of Mars bar wrappers white? I think we should start a campaign to change the colour to black like the outside. How many times, when your ball is in the rough, do yoou think you can see it and it turns out to be a discarded Mars Bar wrapper!!! :mad:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone else notice a severe lack of bins? i blame al quaeda. look for a bin at a train station, impossible! thanks terrorism, we now have litter issues!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there were no litter louts, how many people would face unemployment? how many litter pickers are there nationwide? mass redundancy could see us go into a triple dip recession...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If there were no litter louts, how many people would face unemployment? how many litter pickers are there nationwide? mass redundancy could see us go into a triple dip recession...

Ah - but the argument goes that such folks picking litter from roadsides etc would have to wear hi-vis jackets. And so everyone would know that if you were picking rubbish and wearing a hi-vis jacket you would obviously be unemployed or doing community service for some misdemeanor - and that would be degrading and hence in breach of their human rights :) So the argument goes.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah - but the argument goes that such folks picking litter from roadsides etc would have to wear hi-vis jackets. And so everyone would know that if you were picking rubbish and wearing a hi-vis jacket you would obviously be unemployed or doing community service for some misdemeanor - and that would be degrading and hence in breach of their human rights :) So the argument goes.

But if there were no litter, what would happen to the high-vis jacket industry?! you see, its a vicious circle!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if there were no litter, what would happen to the high-vis jacket industry?! you see, its a vicious circle!

I've just put your post through Google translate from English to Daily Mail...

So what you are saying is that we would be releasing a load of convicts in to the community with nothing to do (as no litter to pick up) and no way of identifying them (no high-vis jackets)?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just put your post through Google translate from English to Daily Mail...

So what you are saying is that we would be releasing a load of convicts in to the community with nothing to do (as no litter to pick up) and no way of identifying them (no high-vis jackets)?

PMSL! dont forget the bit about that having a negative impact on your house price, doctors waiting times increasing and the UK's GDP falling.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What on earth is wrong with people when they can't take their litter home or bin it?

I'm fortunate enough to live out in the country, but I'm forever picking up stuff that has obviously been chucked out of car windows, usually at night: beer and soft drinks cans, bottles, sandwich wrappers, burger containers, plastic bag and bottles. This morning there was a pile of plastic bottles and sandwich cartons on the verge where someone had obviously stopped and had a clear-out. Some time ago we woke up to find the verges and hedges in our road scattered with bags of old clothes (mainly polyester shirts and stuff, size XXL), broken up old kitchen units, and more. It took several wheelbarrow loads to bring it home so we could take it to the council tip, which is only 2 miles away. Even our lovely local woods are sullied by peoples' dropped litter.

Those responsible are probably the same people who just drop stuff in town as well, despite the litter bins everywhere, or tread chewing gum onto the pavement. Even our golf course is not immune - I regularly find discarded sweet wrappers and tissues on the fairway, or even fag ends on the putting greens.

It's costing this country £1 billion pounds a year to clear up after these unsociable, thoughtless, selfish idiots. This money could be far better spent. How do we educate people to stop, or are the culprits just too stupid or arrogant?

Shoot them, simple as that.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some of the more urban golf courses get litter blown on the course from the local neighbourhood, still does not make it right but someone has got to clear it up and it's either the members or ground staff.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But we could try something different and foreword looking. We could have people doing jobs where they needed to be seen wearing them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
People chucking lit fag butt out of their cars gets my goat, thats why you have an ash try in your car you Fudd.

Also people who pick up after their dog then just chuck it in the bushes, You might as well not bother as if you left it, its gone within a few weeks, where as in a bag its hanging in that bush for the next 30 years.:angry:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A pile of doo doo on the fairway gets my goat, they just let the little s##t factories off the lead and let them dump wherever they want.