Litter Louts....

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What on earth is wrong with people when they can't take their litter home or bin it?

I'm fortunate enough to live out in the country, but I'm forever picking up stuff that has obviously been chucked out of car windows, usually at night: beer and soft drinks cans, bottles, sandwich wrappers, burger containers, plastic bag and bottles. This morning there was a pile of plastic bottles and sandwich cartons on the verge where someone had obviously stopped and had a clear-out. Some time ago we woke up to find the verges and hedges in our road scattered with bags of old clothes (mainly polyester shirts and stuff, size XXL), broken up old kitchen units, and more. It took several wheelbarrow loads to bring it home so we could take it to the council tip, which is only 2 miles away. Even our lovely local woods are sullied by peoples' dropped litter.

Those responsible are probably the same people who just drop stuff in town as well, despite the litter bins everywhere, or tread chewing gum onto the pavement. Even our golf course is not immune - I regularly find discarded sweet wrappers and tissues on the fairway, or even fag ends on the putting greens.

It's costing this country £1 billion pounds a year to clear up after these unsociable, thoughtless, selfish idiots. This money could be far better spent. How do we educate people to stop, or are the culprits just too stupid or arrogant?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on the field walking the dog, and some little scrote, dropped his crisp packet, the bin was only 20yds away, I shouted over oi numb nuts pick it and put it in the bin, pointing toward the bin, he picked it up and put it in his pocket, but no sooner was my back turned it was back on the ground.

I really despair with some people and dropping litter, it takes nothing to put it in your pocket until you find a bin.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Unfortunately this one is definitely down to parents, if they were always shown and told the right way from dot it would be so ingrained. Even when I smoked I would never drop a fag end, always nip it, put it in my pocket and then bin it first chance. Its the same with dog muck, inconsiderate and horrid owners just leave kack everywhere,

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Feckless Britain. It will only get worse as the youth or today aren't being taught standards and having the correct way to behave shown to them either. I do despair about this country at times

Then Britain has always been feckless - litter isn't a modern phenomenon.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Feckless Britain. It will only get worse as the youth or today aren't being taught standards and having the correct way to behave shown to them either. I do despair about this country at times

Agreed with you mate , I was in Hong Kong in November last year , a tour guide told me on our day trip around the island this information , The average number of people living a sq kilometre in Australia is 3 , UK is 65 and Hong Kong is 65,000 , Now I was there for a week and I saw 1 piece of paper on a train platform , look like it fallen out of someone`s pocket , I did not see any rubbish lying anywhere other then the bins , no eating , drinking or smoking on any of the trains and they were spotless as was everywhere else , Singapore is the same and we here in the UK are better educated so we say , how do they do it , its taken years but they got something that works and its down to education from a young age , if its taught in schools at a very young age it will stay with them for a lifetime , that's my take on it ....................EYG

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree no discipline anymore , and it all stems from no belt or corporal punishment at school. OK, I've got my tin hat on now let the flack begin, lets have the PC brigade all shot, oh forgot we can't do that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree no discipline anymore , and it all stems from no belt or corporal punishment at school. OK, I've got my tin hat on now let the flack begin, lets have the PC brigade all shot, oh forgot we can't do that.

Gotta agree. Even parents are scared to smack their kids in case they get done for cruelty. When my parents smacked me 99.9% of the time I deserved it

D

Deleted member 17920

I will say most towns have a serious lack of bins, I was in Lincoln last week and it's ridiculous at how hard it was to bin an empty can my lad had. Most youngsters would have given up and either dropped it or put it on a window ledge!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my lifetime Britain has always had a litter problem.
Old folk blaming the youngsters is just not on, they were just as bad when children.
The poorer the area the bigger the problem.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my lifetime Britain has always had a litter problem.
Old folk blaming the youngsters is just not on, they were just as bad when children.
The poorer the area the bigger the problem.

The voice of reason. Far too many people here misty eyed for the past when everything was perfect :D

And as for corporal punishment in schools - it didn't work, end of story. If it was a reasonable deterrent then no one would have had it more than once, I remember getting the cane of numerous occasions along with my mates.

It solved nothing other than an anger release for miserable, frustrated old fuds. It certainly wouldn't solve the problem of litter.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The voice of reason. Far too many people here misty eyed for the past when everything was perfect :D

And as for corporal punishment in schools - it didn't work, end of story. If it was a reasonable deterrent then no one would have had it more than once, I remember getting the cane of numerous occasions along with my mates.

It solved nothing other than an anger release for miserable, frustrated old fuds. It certainly wouldn't solve the problem of litter.
Rubbish :whistle:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
What annoys me on the golf course is the number of empty juice bottles that are chucked into the bushes just off the greens when there are bins on every tee. These folk have carried a full bottle round most of the course but when it is empty it is just launched away.

The most annoying case of dumping though is fly tipping. Last year we had two instances of car tyres dumped on the farm. On each occasion over 100 tyres were dumped, and because it is on private land the council will not remove them. Also the council dump which is over ten miles away will not take any more than two tyres at a time so trailering them there would involve 50 round trips of 20 miles each which in a Range Rover + trailer is expensive. The only solution is for me to fork out for a private firm to come and collect them at £1.50 a tyre! The police are not interested as are the council and SEPA are a waste of space!

051012_Nikon_0935.jpg

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A while ago I was driving behind a BMW X5 through Watford. The back window came down, and out came an empty 2 litre coke bottle. The window wound up again. Then down again, and the lid got lobbed out too.

I hate litter on the golf course. Why do people think its ok to throw a drinks bottle into the bushes?