• Chip- puttings' for the baize

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else - explained below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok people, curious to know how everyone does it.

Me, I use the arrows on the ball or if it aint got it, the writing.

Its amazing how many strokes you can save by doing this. I play with a guy who plays to about 8-10. He used to play to about 15 before I shown him what I was doing with the ball.

Who else lines up like this?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tried using the line-em-up thing but it took so long and didnt improve things.

I now stand behind the ball and choose a spot where it will break then move slightly so that I can see a line to that point. Then I set up,focus directly in front of the ball on the line I have chosen and roll the ball over it. This has the added benefit of helping keep my head still.

Takes longer to write than do! I now read putts way better than before.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't vote as I do all of them. My biggest problem with putting is that I expend so much effort and energy getting to the green then too often not enough when I get there.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think what i do is pretty unique. I make sure that i cant see any writing or lines on the ball when looking down on it. I dont want anything affecting my mind through the putt.

My putting is probly the best part of my game at the moment.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A tip I read once was to imagine a strip of carpet about two inches wide running between the ball and the hole. Tried it a couple of times. Variable success.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use the line up method where you put your own line on the ball and use that. make sure the line is near the back of the ball so I can focus on that as my aiming point with putter.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I step back and take note of the surface, recent speeds and try and read it the best I can, then when I am happy putt away. I tend to try and get it close on 10+ foot putts and think of getting it near rather than in the hole and this relieves the pressure and I am sinking a lot of 20 footers, luck I know its either with you or not and that’s all it is.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Tony
i do use the writing or the line, but my main 'aid' is to focus on a spot between me and the hole, not the hole itself. As a nervy putter who has had spells of the yipps, I find this the best way to deal with short putts especially.

Alib

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
My putting has got so much better since I have started lining up with the writing or the balls own alignment aid. I read the putt and decide where it is going to break from and line the ball up to this point using this method. In my last round I didn't have one 3 putt which is pretty good for me. The trouble I sometimes get is that I don't trust my line that I've made in my mind and end up closing the putter face to compensate for this and it always results in a pull past the cup. When I trust my line my putts are usually very good as fortunately I rarely misread a green (quite often misjudge the pace though) so if I do trust the point to which the ball is aligned then it helps no end.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
always used the writing on anything 10 foot in but on longer putts where it is hard to line it up with the writing i will pick a point out on the green and aim to go over that

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Murph, I hope you dont mind but i'm sticking to my guns on this one.

The fact my statement was a "fragment" is pretty unique in itself.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I said I use the arrows but I forgot to say, on longer putts, I will stilluse the arrows but to aim at something where I think the ball will break. I find by using the arrows, it helps me to get the putter back and through alot straighter too.

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
I get behind the ball, pick my line, line up the wrriting o arrows with this line and then address the ball. All thru this I've got the line in my head and when I'm over the ball I'm visualising the line the balls got to roll along to drop.

I once read a tip that says just look at the distance and practice a swing. Your body will instinctively swing how hard it needs to.

Add two and two together and you usually get pretty close! Within a dustbin lid hopefully ;-)