Lining up putt using putter as guide

salfordlad

Visit site
but you can't allow your putter to leave a mark on the dew to help you, even if you don't let go....?
Deliberately making a mark in dew to provide assistance with aiming, taking stance or swinging would be a breach. Incidentally making such a mark through normal play is not a breach.

tobybarker

Visit site
putting a putter down to help align a putt, not letting go, accidentally making a mark in the dew..... no wonder some people think the rules are complex.

salfordlad

Visit site
putting a putter down to help align a putt, not letting go, accidentally making a mark in the dew..... no wonder some people think the rules are complex.
??? There are no issues here. It is very common activity for someone to stand behind their line on the green and have the putter on the green in front of them aligned to line of play - there is plenty of footage of people doing this as a normal putting routine (including me, but I'm not aware of any footage in my case). And for some years now it has been very clear it is permitted providing you don't place and leave the putter on the ground. And when there is dew on the ground, there is no golfer playing that doesn't make marks in dew. Just don't deliberately make marks to assist your alignment. I don't see anything complex here.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
My opinion - a player cannot "accidentally" pick up his ball, it's an intended act. And it's unlikely that a player can "accidentally" make a line in dew with his putter that shows alignment.
The Rules are based on players acting with integrity.