Life span of a golf club

General Fade

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been playing with some 10- 8 year old clubs and see clubs for sale well over that and beyond so would like to ask "how long is the life span of a golf club"?

Do steel and carbon fibre shafts have a best before date when put in service or standing on the shelf and do forged deteriorate quicker than cast faces?

Is this the same for grooves either V or U ?

Does shaft material and how many rounds are played on different ground conditions and care by the user etc come into effect with a club player over a professional.

What's the thoughts or evidence on club life span and usability?

Cheers, Fade

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been playing with some 10- 8 year old clubs and see clubs for sale well over that and beyond so would like to ask "how long is the life span of a golf club"?

Do steel and carbon fibre shafts have a best before date when put in service or standing on the shelf and do forged deteriorate quicker than cast faces?

Is this the same for grooves either V or U ?

Does shaft material and how many rounds are played on different ground conditions and care by the user etc come into effect with a club player over a professional.

What's the thoughts or evidence on club life span and usability?

Cheers, Fade
Rather depends on how carefully you look after them! If you clean them after every round and store them in a warm dry place, probably many years. Grips usually wear out first, but they can easily and cheaply be replaced. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends upon what you expect of them. I played with @WilliamAlex and @SuperHans recently using my 30+yr old Wilson Staffs. I didn't play very well but the irons served their purpose just fine (without them I couldn't have played) and I played to just over my handicap. But then my expectations and requirements of them were pretty limited :)

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My Irons were manufactured in 1990. Still using them. So I guess at least 25 years in answer to your question. Very much dependent on manufacturer and materials though I would guess.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Clubs only last 12 to 18 months then you have to buy a new set!

Well, at least that's what I've told the wife! :lol: