Letting people through while in a comp?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Havent read all the replys just throwing in what happens with our tuesday comps and gets annoying , if u in last group out during the summer say 5pm there is a steady stream of singles out after ya flying around , if u let them all thru ul b out til 10pm .. 1may 2 Get thru , no more and i make no apologies for it either

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Havent read all the replys just throwing in what happens with our tuesday comps and gets annoying , if u in last group out during the summer say 5pm there is a steady stream of singles out after ya flying around , if u let them all thru ul b out til 10pm .. 1may 2 Get thru , no more and i make no apologies for it either

No need to apologise at all. Being a single gives you no right to delay the round of someone else.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We where a fourball, they where a two. Where off the whites which on some holes is another 80-100 yrd walk behind the yellows.... where quick but no match for a two ball! 😂

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
To me a monthly medal isn't the same as a board comp and as such doesn't carry the same prestige or standing.

Subjective. They bear no prestige to me. I’ve got my name on a board and i didn’t collect my trophy.
Consolation prize comps for not being near scratch. Same as a medal. Same stakes. Still let people through as per R&A etiquette.

And I’d this was the second medal this week.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Currently stood on our 13 tee, behind a 6 ball, playinh a union foursomes comp, so they have 3 balls in play. Looks like the next group infront is either on, or has left the 18th hole.
One of the group has just walked over to inform us they cant let is through….

PaulMdj

Visit site
Currently stood on our 13 tee, behind a 6 ball, playinh a union foursomes comp, so they have 3 balls in play. Looks like the next group infront is either on, or has left the 18th hole.
I don’t get this, I understand some Clubs state Club Comps have priority on the Course, but that still doesn’t mean competitors (for want of a better word) can’t let people through!😵‍💫 What do they think will happen if they let somebody through?

Springveldt

Visit site
If you are just having a casual round I'd have just skipped ahead of them.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
If you are just having a casual round I'd have just skipped ahead of them.
I think if you're a visitor and have paid a green fee, you probably won't want to do that. If you're a member who plays regularly, then yes this is a good solution if it's a course where it can be achieved.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Did you ask if he meant can't or won't and precisely why?
Although, aren't you in Yorkshire?

I said “Dont worry about it, you've only lost 5 holes on the group ahead…”

He specifically said he couldn't let us through, and that it was 'madness'

No, the proper etiquette is to moan on social media/the internet and not to try and find an easy solution 😎

I'd already messaged the course manager to highlight the problem. He wasn't aware of the grouping arrangements but spoke to a chap from the union - not sure if they made any attempt to speed the group up.

There was a fourball behind them infront of us and behind the six, they walked in after 11 - we did the same after the 13th green, at the request of my guest, who had paid a green fee.

Couple of pints in the sun instead of some slow golf and all is well in the world.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I said “Dont worry about it, you've only lost 5 holes on the group ahead…”

He specifically said he couldn't let us through, and that it was 'madness'

I'd already messaged the course manager to highlight the problem. He wasn't aware of the grouping arrangements but spoke to a chap from the union - not sure if they made any attempt to speed the group up.

There was a fourball behind them infront of us and behind the six, they walked in after 11 - we did the same after the 13th green, at the request of my guest, who had paid a green fee.

Couple of pints in the sun instead of some slow golf and all is well in the world.

What was taking so long if they were foursomes and technically a 3 ball?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What was taking so long if they were foursomes and technically a 3 ball?

Probably a lack of course knowledge and a grasp of basic etiquette on maintaining pace of play.

I saw one guy walk back to the 3rd tee to play another shot after they'd deemed the previous one to be lost - what I didn't know at the time was he had hit the original tee shot and his p.p had already walked back to hit another. They were just slow - and oblivious to the fact it would seem. When the fourball infront of us picked up and walked off from the 11th green, you'd think the 6 would have made decent progress down the 12th but when we arrived on the tee - they were 150 yards down the fairway, one group behind the water hazard (I had already told my buddy one of them would be in there) - so we got to see them take a drop, hit it in the water, take another drop, hit it in the water - eventually they made the fairway short of the green for 7.

They were having a bad day, we all have them - but they should have been letting groups through - the course was actually pretty quiet behind as the Union junior matches had been canned (presumably due to low entries) - with the tee times being opened up to members and visitors late on Friday. Just as well - my lad would have been raging about the pace of play if he'd been caught up in it.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots of people have a ready-made list in their heads of reasons not to let someone through, simply because they consider it an affront on their character to do so. We're playing in a comp/match so we can't, the groups in front of us are slow as well, 'single players have no standing' etc etc. It's all nonsense, I don't think there's a single rule that exists as a reason not to let a faster group play though. Unless someone's course is unique and has a rule of their own on this.