LET

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What state is the LET in that a player who makes only 3 cuts and earns a grand total of £12,115.30 retains their full playing rights.

DCB

Visit site
If you look at the total purse on some of the events, it's probably not that surprising. The European Tour probably pays out more to the top two players each week than the LET has as a total purse for many events.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A very poor state
Few tournaments and the ones they have offer little prize money.
The LET just doesn't attract sponsorship and no matter how hard they try the money just ain't forthcoming.
Which is a pity as we have a Major champion who has to go and play in USA because there aren't enough events over this side.
LET needs a massive cash injection but without TV coverage it's not going to happen - and the TV coverage isn't going to happen because there's no money in it because, on the whole, we won't watch it
Catch 22.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's a pretty sad state that you only make 12l and retain your full playing rights, What would it take to lose them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You may keep your playing rights but can you afford to play? What are the costs incurred for playing a season on the tour? Must be heavily over that figure and you then need money to survive, pay rent etc.

I was listening to The Cut podcast last night whilst walking my dog and they were bemoaning the prize for an LET event. The issue is it is market forces. If the events want money then they have to put on a product that people want to watch. If they don't then the money will not follow. No sport has a right for people to make a living out of it. You can force it for a while, womens football, cricket and rugby spring to mind, but ultimately they need to stand on their own two feet. If they can't do that then you have to accept that you have to get another job, the money is just not there. A harsh reality but reality never the less.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just the commercial reality of this.

All the interest in Ladies Golf is in the US & Korea.

Ultimately anyone with sufficient ability will have to move overseas.

Not much different to someone being a good footballer in Africa or Asia... basically move to Europe or you won't have a career.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The LET need a guy like Mike Whan to take charge. He's revolutionised the way the LPGA runs. It was a dying tour before he took over and he's done a fantastic job bringing sponsorship and eyes to the LPGA, which in-turn has brought more money to the athletes. The LET desperately need someone to come in and do the same otherwise the tour will die a death. It's been in a dreadful state the last couple of years with the constant tournament cancellations. Well worth listening to Mike's NLU podcast episode if you're interested in how these things run.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Prize money is linked to how much folk will pay to watch, televise and advertise at. Same for all sport. A week's wage for a top footy player will run a Conference Team for a season. (as near as makes no difference) So that's a funtion of what folk will watch, not about womens golf per se. I was on hols in Portugal a few years back while an LET Event was on nearby... went along, and it was a decent event to watch ( in its own right)

Some sports subsidise the women's side.... some don't. Golf is potentially missing a trick by not running some events side by side.... you could have a seperate womens' event going on at the same time, (alternate start times) or a mixed event with (or without) some forward tees! Clearly some issues with numbers, but if there's a will there's a way.

Just think of the publicity! Stuffy old golf going co-ed for a few events a year.... wonder if the TV coverage will show the girls though, crikey, they can't stop showing Tiger, even if he misses the cut!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They could do worse than try running a few events on terrestrial TV, I'm sure they'd get a decent number of viewers and that would attract sponsors.

The current climate at the BBC makes it a non-starter for them but Channel 4 or similar might be able to make a go of it.
The thing then would be that of it did take off, the LET would have to resist the increased offers from Sky et-al and stay loyal to the terrestrial partner..... A pipe dream then!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What I don't get is at least the women's golf is a pretty good standard, yet women's football is utterly appalling and seems to get lots of coverage.

D

Deleted member 16999

What I don't get is at least the women's golf is a pretty good standard, yet women's football is utterly appalling and seems to get lots of coverage.
Not sure if you’re looking for bites or being serious, but I’ll answer.
The women’s football teams have got massive investment in them, especially in England, they are also reaching World and European finals, they are being linked and doing joint publicity with the mens teams.
Maybe it’s not about the standard (but certainly not utterly appalling) maybe it’s about the governing bodies taking the sport and sportswomen seriously.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Bites ?

You have possibly/probably watched more than I have, but what I have seen it's appalling, like embarrassingly bad, particularly the goal keeping. As for the governing bodies, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make, are you suggesting the governing body of golf doesn't take the women seriously ??

As for the standards, I'd say based on like for like, the women's golf standard is a hundred times higher than it's football standard, and yes I know, how can you possibly compare them but sure you get what I mean.

What are the crowds like at women's football ? What are the viewing figures like for women's football ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Bites ?

You have possibly/probably watched more than I have, but what I have seen it's appalling, like embarrassingly bad, particularly the goal keeping. As for the governing bodies, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make, are you suggesting the governing body of golf doesn't take the women seriously ??

As for the standards, I'd say based on like for like, the women's golf standard is a hundred times higher than it's football standard, and yes I know, how can you possibly compare them but sure you get what I mean.

What are the crowds like at women's football ? What are the viewing figures like for women's football ?
If you haven’t watched that much what do you base the low standard of goal keeping on?
Like for like is not relevant as you can’t compare, wages though, the average in the womens PL is £27,000.00 per annum, highest paid player is rumoured to be on 65,000.00, then add in all England internationals are on £25,000.00 per year from the FA, all this suggests money is available.
The womens game is expanding, leagues at all levels are increasing.
Club matches at top level average over 1,000 with a couple teams regularly seeing 2,000+.
National side varies between 11,000-,15,000 depending on status of game.
Back to the governing bodies, sorry but I don’t think the Golf authorities do take it serious enough, like I mentioned football, the FA done a deal with the BBC, some games are on BBC 3 or 4, but it’s still on, they got the men involved in the womens game at the top level.
They have heavily invested in womens football, females can make a career out of all apects of Football.
Apart from the “Get into Golf” scheme, I’ve seen little publicity to encourage women.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you haven’t watched that much what do you base the low standard of goal keeping on?

I base the standard of their game and particularly their goalkeeping on what I've seen on tv, which I assume, must be a high standard for it to be on telly, and if that's the highest standard, well....

D

Deleted member 16999

I base the standard of their game and particularly their goalkeeping on what I've seen on tv, which I assume, must be a high standard for it to be on telly, and if that's the highest standard, well....
But are you comparing Ladies v Ladies or Ladies v Men,
How many years were Scottish goalkeepers unfairly treated as a joke because of a few mistakes by a couple of individuals.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ladies v Ladies, I've watched some of it, it's of a very poor standard compared to the mens game, unlike the womens golf game, which is of a very high standard compared along with the mens golf game. I'm talking at senior level here, not the local parks, the stuff you get on tv.