Lessons from America...

V

vkurup

Spent a week playing golf in the States. Nothing fancy, played in the local muni courses with my friends.. 9 rounds cost me about $300 for green fees & buggies. Lovely place, good people and some great courses. Can single out Berkshire Valley GC in New Jersey as my fav course. Simply stunning course, can give some of our Top 100 a run for its money. But here are some general observations from my travel. (health warning: below are sweeping generalization of themes and not meant to offend or stereotype. Also these are from the Muni courses, I am sure pvt courses are very different - I did drive past Medinah, but did not have the courage to go in)

1) Take a Mulligan: Just like the American freeways, the fairways are wide, but you will nevertheless hit OOB or into the water. Simply reload and say you are taking a Mulligan. There is no limit on the mulligans you take and it can be taken on any/every hole. Keeps the card in shape and the game moving. Interesting

2)One person per cart: Courses are pretty big & spread out, so everyone takes a buggy. During my travel, I saw just 2 guys walking!! Most courses quote green+cart fees. The cart/buggy fees are based on how many people ride on it. For e.g. $15 for a 1 guy on the buggy, $30 if 2 guys use the buggy. Needless to say, it is not unusual to see 2 buggies during a 2 ball. Not very social or eco-friendly in that sense.

3) Leave your manner at home: Experienced some bad behaviours; people riding onto your fairway to look for their ball and then shouting 'found it' while you are taking your shot about 30 yards away. Watching people shouting to the ball or giving high fives and jumping around on the greens - never sure if they are playing golf or football. This is especially true in the evening rounds when the Joe public is on and the beer has kicked in.

4) Score a bird: You have to give a customary fist bump when you score a 'bird'. Yup thats what it is called.. I thought it was just the people I met, but realised that even Golf Channel refers to a birdie as a 'bird'

5) Drinking on the course: Love the fact that almost every course has someone coming around in a cart with food and drinks. So not surprised that the rubbish bins on the back nine will have a lot of empty beer cans in them. Enjoy your pint on the course.

6) Not very social: (may be it is just me) Given the fact that people mostly rides their own buggies and most drinks are consumed on the course, there is hardly any conversation on the course. Not many people head out to the club house after the game for a pint. When we were paired with people, the opportunity to shoot the breeze was just before tee-ing off or on the way to the buggy after holing out.

7) Irony does not work: Not every one gets Brit irony, so speak in plain English. Also avoid 'double negatives' - so replace 'not bad' with 'fine'

8) Handicap: If you ask someone 'What do you play off'... you are likely to get a blank stare followed by 'Red', 'White' or 'Black' as the answer. If you want to know their handicap, ask 'What is your handicap?', else you will learn which tee box they play from..

9) Only London, Only St Andrews: People are very courteous and helpful esp when they know you are visiting from the UK. But don't try and explain the geography, just say you are from London (even if you live in Telford). Also, apparently there is only one course in England - St Andrews. Everyone has either played there or wants to travel to London to play at St Andrews. So brush up on your big fish stories about St Andrews even if you have never been there. It helps keep the conversation going.

Really enjoyed my stay and the golf. There are some quirks (we have our own), but highly recommend getting out there for a few swings.

Last edited:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
So much of that is true, my cousins are from Conetticut and play in the beer league as they call the fill there cooler with 18 beers each one per hole but cant remember the last time they played 18 holes as there beer was gone. My uncle plays at River Highland in Hartford PGA Tour and wont play with them .

D

Deleted member 18588

Sorry but I think you have just described my idea of Hell!

Think I will continue to visit private clubs on my future visits. I am not a snob but what you depict sounds truly horrendous.

V

vkurup

Sorry but I think you have just described my idea of Hell!

Don't get me wrong.... But I enjoyed most parts of the trip ... We all have some muppets on either side of the pond that can spoil a game...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've never found alcohol and golf to mix.

I think you'll find many here on the forum that have a different opinion to that, and that's in temps that barely get over 25.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't think of anything worse. I want to play a new course, enjoy the experience and try and shoot the best score possible. Can't think of anything worse playing with someone getting progressively more drunk, being rude and ignoring etiquette and cheating by taking a mulligan on every hole

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've played out there several times and I love it. I love the relaxed atmosphere and the fact that they are mostly treating it as an enjoyable pass time with a few mates and a good day out. Which is what I see golf as. So what if they have the odd mulligan in friendly games (and when I've played I've only ever seen people take a couple per round and not every hole) If that is cheating and therefore is 'just not golf' then I think that says as much about the attitudes and reasons why the game is struggling to attract people in this country than it does of them.

I do get paired up with locals in buggies, and the guys and girls I've always been paired with have been great company, always there to enjoy themselves. As for the drinking then yes you can have a couple of beers, but to assume everyone is getting drunk is a bit of a wild extrapolation. And then again who hasn't had a hip flask in their bag on golf weekends with their mates in this country?

I also like the fact that they always make you feel welcome, and you get the feeling that they are pleased to have you play their course and you are doing them a favour by playing it. As opposed to some courses I play in this country. I've been made welcome as some relatively high end courses in the US despite the fact I am pretty rubbish, and made to feel unwelcome at some goat tracks in this country.

I'd probably say if you take golf very seriously, you feel it is a contest of man/woman verses the course every time and you want to score your absolute best no matter what, then it won't be for you. But if you enjoy golf as a pass time and are out to have some fun and a bit of banter then it's great. I'm off out to Disney next Spring and staying on a complex with 3 courses attached to it, and I can't wait.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting about the muligans. I can see how it becomes more enjoyable, but I do agree it's just not golf if you can 'throw away' all your bad shots with no penalties. Imagine in football - you miss a penalty and the ref says "No probs buddy, line up another one" - it just wouldn't be football! But I guess I'm one of those people who wants to play their best each week.

I'm off across the pond next year to Universal with the Mrs, and am hoping to go play one of the Disney courses too. Should be interesting!

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheating by taking a mulligan on every hole

No offence, but I think that's a ridiculous attitude. Who are they cheating? Themselves?

If they are playing in a competition, then yes, it's cheating. If you are playing for money, again, cheating. If you're out on an enjoyable round with nothing at stake, it's fine. They are just numbers on a piece of paper. If I'm out by myself, I take another shot off the tee occasionaly, because it doesn't matter about my final score.

Have you never dropped a ball to make up for a lost one, and played it as your fourth? That's cheating. Or used an iphone GPS app, again, cheating. Think some people need to lighten up a little, and enjoy golf for what it is somedays! Not every round is a medal.

V

vkurup

I agree, golf is lot more relaxed and cheaper state side and is seen more of a 'game' rather than a 'sport' ;)

As someone mentioned, I found everyone very welcoming too. They seem to be happy that you chose their club during a short visit, whereas sometimes, on this side, it can be seen as a favour to let people play

On the subject of Mulligans, I concur with some of the views here.. As a social game, having the ability to reload every time without the cost of penalty is a good thing. However, I will frown upon it if they did that in a comp.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ive experianced the yanks golf culture at a US military base that had its own course here in the UK.I found they were very serious about their game or beer swilling idiot's with no manners, the steak in the clubhouse was good though :D

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Interesting about the muligans. I can see how it becomes more enjoyable, but I do agree it's just not golf if you can 'throw away' all your bad shots with no penalties. Imagine in football - you miss a penalty and the ref says "No probs buddy, line up another one" - it just wouldn't be football! But I guess I'm one of those people who wants to play their best each week.

I'm off across the pond next year to Universal with the Mrs, and am hoping to go play one of the Disney courses too. Should be interesting!

I think it depends on the number of muligans they have. In my experience of 20 odd rounds over there they take a couple, 3 at most. I agree that if they did it for every duffed shot (and I am sure some do) then it would make a mockery of it. But the people I played with seemed to have the right balance for a friendly game with mates.

Enjoy the round(s if you are lucky;)) in the States, it's a great experience.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No offence, but I think that's a ridiculous attitude. Who are they cheating? Themselves?

If they are playing in a competition, then yes, it's cheating. If you are playing for money, again, cheating. If you're out on an enjoyable round with nothing at stake, it's fine. They are just numbers on a piece of paper. If I'm out by myself, I take another shot off the tee occasionaly, because it doesn't matter about my final score.

Have you never dropped a ball to make up for a lost one, and played it as your fourth? That's cheating. Or used an iphone GPS app, again, cheating. Think some people need to lighten up a little, and enjoy golf for what it is somedays! Not every round is a medal.

Perhaps its just me then. Even in a bounce game I treat every shot with intent, primarily because otherwise I get lazy and my whole swing lacks focus. The score isn't the important part of these games and it is about having a laugh with my partners but I still want to play as well as I can and to my mind mulligans just make a mockery. If I'm playing solo, I won't keep score anyway as I'll be trying diferent things out on the course. If I'm with others we'll normally have something on it so yes mulligans are cheating.

Never used a phone app. Use my Sky Cady instead. Never implied every round is a medal but I like to play as well as I can. Have always had the same intensity whatever I've done sporting wise.Even in training I wanted to perform as well as I could. Doesn't mean I don't have fun or enjoy the freedom of not having card and pencil in hand

Hacker Khan

Visit site
As someone mentioned, I found everyone very welcoming too. They seem to be happy that you chose their club during a short visit, whereas sometimes, on this side, it can be seen as a favour to let people play

I think despite their many faults, the Yanks do this very well in most areas. Every round I've played they could not do enough for me. All you need to do is put on a bit of a Hugh Grant accent and you are away.

I've also had superb service in may shops over there. In one clothes shop I was buying jeans for the wife. She'd given me her size plus a vague description of the type she wanted, but I was a bit lost buying women's jeans. So the assistant took about 30 minutes to go through the styles etc etc. And then she found another assistant in the shop who most closely resembled my wives measurements and got her to try them on for me so I'd see what they would look like!

So when I went in Victoria's Secrets to buy the Mrs some underwear I asked if they provided the same service, but unfortunately they declined;)

D

Deleted member 18588

Having visited the country a number of times I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments regarding the warmth of the welcome and the levels of service.

That said I still stand by my earlier comments referring to the OP's description of his golfing experience. Never mind Dodge City that sort of behaviour is more Yob City and should be kept well away from any golf course.

(Now I have had my rant I feel better!)

V

vkurup

Forgot to mention.. Dont dare ask for the Stroke Index or SI of the hole... (unless you want to apply an SPF30 sun cream). If you want to know the SI, ask 'what is the handicap of this hole'... simples

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In bounce games where we arent playing against each other I reguarly reload if I hit a crapper, or if the winds in a way that I havent played in a while ill hit 2 in, partners do the same, only ever putt out the first ball anyway.. gets more practice at approaching greens......

and with a clear run infront of us we can still do 18 in 3 hours \o/

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yanks are the best at customer service. I have been to many places worldwide but the USA wins by a distance for service, nothing is too much trouble. However what is described in the OP sounds horrific to me. I have played golf in the USA and experienced anything like that.