lesson today

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all
today I had an unoffical lesson with one of the guys from our club, we played 5 holes and concentrated on chipping and using the wedges as I'm not confident with these.
The lesson was fantastic, I learned to use my 8, 9, pitching wedge and sand wedge properly from just off the green and also to use my irons for better control from distance (I usually use my 7 iron for almost everything).
I then went out with someone else for 18 hole to practice and it was amazing :cool: :D, I only used my 7 iron 3 times and that was for distance shots but I really concentated on using my 9 iron and wedges and I did the course in 98 gross (66 net) I have never done this before :D
Now to do it again next weekend when I have 2 official club comps (both Sat & Sun) and hopefully bring the handicap down.
Needless to say I am well pleased today :D :D :D

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Excellent stuff barb. Really pleased for you.

Fantastic score, especially when you see your nett score. Play like that next weekend and I imagine you'll be up there with the winers.

Looking to break 100 gross myself so your story does fill me with confidence that it can be done with a little tutoring.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys
I had some lessons the middle of last year, driving etc.. and I think they are just now coming into play and the tuition today is the cherry on the cake.
:D
Lets hope I can keep it up but at least now I know it can be done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Barb

The key to scoring is the short game. If you miss a green but get up and down regularly the scores will come tumbling down. The key to playing the chips around the green with different clubs is to a) know how the ball reacts with different clubs (say an 8 iron and pitching wedge) b) to be confident when you play the shot (no thins or hitting it fat) and c) to visualise the shot before you play it.

The best thing about the short game is that it is easy to practice. You don't have to go miles picking the balls up and you can have some real fun trying different shots (opening the face of a sand wedge etc).

Keep at it and good luck for next weekend

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Homer
Thats what we basically did today was to play up to the green and then drop aload of balls and I was shown what to do and how the ball would react and then I tried it and practiced then we onto the next hole where the lie of the ball would be different again, it was really good and the guy I was with is really patient which helped alot. I'm going up to the course tomorrow to have some more practice so hopefully I can keep the momentum going, fingers crossed. :)

StuartDykes

Hacker
www.weekendgolfer.co.uk
Breaking 100 is the biggest milestone. Honestly before you know it you will be in mid 90's then you will break ninety.

Good chance you will do very well with a score like that. Nice.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great stuff Barb.

There are two guys that I sometimes play with. Both in their 70s, have trouble hitting the ball more than 150 yds off the tee, 15 and 16 h/caps.

Rarely can they reach the green in regulation, but from 100 yds in they are deadly.

You want to reduce your h/cap? Short game, Short game, short game!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds good Barb, keep up the good work.

I love practicing the short game and as mentioned, this is where games are won and lost.

Make sure you let us know how the comps go!

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Guys
Will let you know how it goes next weekend. I'm really looking forward to it :), I'm hoping the weather will improve (it's supposed to )
Thanks again guys