Leg drills

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been asked by a few interested parties about the use of the legs in the swing with reference to swaying and turning.

I find alot of people have very bendy legs and knees on the backswing so here for those who dont know it, is my chair drill.

CIMG0758.jpg

Place a chair or something similar just outside your left foot and far enough back towards your heel so you dont hit it with your through swing.
Then hit balls turning your hips inside the chair without knocking it with your hip.

CIMG0761.jpg

When that feels comfortable use 2 :D

brave.jpg

This will help you feel more centred over the ball and you will turn in a smaller area.

good tip, thanks for the reminder, chairs are difficult to carry to the range, however I find 2 clubshafts stuck into the earth either side are perfect and transportable without the need for a transit van :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
good tip, thanks for the reminder, chairs are difficult to carry to the range, however I find 2 clubshafts stuck into the earth either side are perfect and transportable without the need for a transit van :D

If you haven't got a spare couple of club shafts lying around, separate the 2 legs of a v-easy chair and use those instead.

There you are Bob, yet another use for it.

:D :D

:p :p

Good tip by the way ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Depends what type of range you use.
You try sticking an old shaft into a astroturf mat sat on concrete.
Lots of driving ranges have chairs you can use but if you're on grass then yes, if you have 2 old shafts they are ideal. Just make sure you stick them in quite far or they will move too easily.

Depends what type of range you use.
You try sticking an old shaft into a astroturf mat sat on concrete.

Yeah! Realised that after I posted :rolleyes: I didn't think it through did I.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tried to do this (more turning than lateral) and found my arms were very low at the top of my backswing. Is there an angle (roughly) where that is very bad?
Mine were probably barely above shoulder height.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Bobmac I wouldn't have the knowledge nor the audacity to try and pretend I know the intricacies of leg/hip movement throughout the swing. I just read your post which I found very interesting but I had also read the post in the link and they seem contradictory to each other.
I was actually hoping someone would tell me more as a lot of the teaching/instruction I read regarding lower body movement is confusing at best.

Thanks
Jd

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you look at the lines drawn in your link, especially clear on Faldo, they are drawn from the inside of the left foot. My chair drill has the turning point OUTSIDE the left foot. That way you dont slide the hips passed that turning point as it can lead the blocks and pull hooks.