Leaf Blower....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no penalty if using a leaf blower to search and the ball is accidentally moved in this process. Replace ball and carry on. This is a USGA ruling.
Interesting. Although, to me at least, a bit bizarre. If that's the ruling, then so be it - but I'm still having difficulty with the concept of 'accidental' in the circumstances.

Is there a link or a reference you can share as it would be of interest to see the context of what/how they said it?

salfordlad

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting. Although, to me at least, a bit bizarre. If that's the ruling, then so be it - but I'm still having difficulty with the concept of 'accidental' in the circumstances.

Is there a link or a reference you can share as it would be of interest to see the context of what/how they said it?
But, if you were kicking leaves away to try and find your ball, and you kicked the ball, is it not just a similar scenario. Yes, you deliberately moved your foot, but it was not for the intentional purpose of moving your ball. So, is the same not true in the unusual circumstance someone is using a leaf blower? I doubt they are intentionally trying to move their ball, thus any movement of the ball would be accidental.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, if you were kicking leaves away to try and find your ball, and you kicked the ball, is it not just a similar scenario. Yes, you deliberately moved your foot, but it was not for the intentional purpose of moving your ball. So, is the same not true in the unusual circumstance someone is using a leaf blower? I doubt they are intentionally trying to move their ball, thus any movement of the ball would be accidental.
I'd regard that (probably erroneously) as rather an incautious method of searching and so presume a penalty is incurred. But probably wrongly.

salfordlad

Visit site
I'd regard that (probably erroneously) as rather an incautious method of searching and so presume a penalty is incurred. But probably wrongly.
There's a ball search video on the R&A and USGA sites relating to the 2019 Rules showing a person swishing their foot around in longish grass to try and find their ball. Needless to say, ball got moved, but no penalty. The 2019 Rules are considerably more friendly than what went before here.