Leaf Blower....

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Random one, but influenced by this tweet:

When using the leaf blower to search for the players ball, the ball moves. Penalty or not?

I see the side that the ball was accidentally moved, so replace it with no penalty and carry on.

I also see a side where the very fact you are using a leaf blower which causes the ball to move is a bit suspect and so you would get the general penalty.

Not to mention if the ball is moved, can you replace it in the correct place, so potential for a penalty from playing from the wrong spot.

Over to the gurus

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Random one, but influenced by this tweet:

When using the leaf blower to search for the players ball, the ball moves. Penalty or not?

I see the side that the ball was accidentally moved, so replace it with no penalty and carry on.

I also see a side where the very fact you are using a leaf blower which causes the ball to move is a bit suspect and so you would get the general penalty.

Not to mention if the ball is moved, can you replace it in the correct place, so potential for a penalty from playing from the wrong spot.

Over to the gurus

If on the green....no penalty. (rule 9.4 Exception 3)

If in the general area...in my opinion the ball was moved by the direct action of the player... they would be the one holding the leaf blower, directing where it blows....therefore directly responsible for causing the ball to move. One stroke penalty and must replace the ball.

No penalty for actually using a leaf blower. 15.1a states that a player may remove loose impediments in any way by using hand, foot, club or other equipment.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Would it depend on whether they were actually looking for the ball at the time it moves or just blowing leaves away from the ball so they can hit it..?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Would it depend on whether they were actually looking for the ball at the time it moves or just blowing leaves away from the ball so they can hit it..?

Sorry yes....I missed that aspect of the OP...that a search was in progress, in which case Exception 2 from rule 9.4 applies and there is no penalty (but ball must still be replaced)

I'd misinterpreted it as the ball had been found and they were blowing leaves away from it....my bad.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting, thanks.

Winder if the middle aisle at Lidl or Aldi will have some portable leaf blowers....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll stick my neck out and say there's a penalty. The method/equipment being used for the search has a high probability of moving the ball so I'd argue that you could not say that the ball was moved accidentally.

Interested to see what our experts say?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll stick my neck out and say there's a penalty. The method/equipment being used for the search has a high probability of moving the ball so I'd argue that you could not say that the ball was moved accidentally.

Interested to see what our experts say?

So....the method of search could be classed as, lets say...careless...rather than controlled...therefore may be arguable that its not accidental. I get the argument but....one could level the same thing at a player who is using his club to "probe" in amongst a pile of leaves in that, if he touches the unseen ball with his club, it is likely to cause it to move....yet I am not aware that he would be penalised for this method of similarly, "less carefull" searching.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Funny enough I was playing the other day and my friend lost his ball in leaves where normally you'd find your ball and I remarked that we should carry a leaf blower!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go with a penalty

But if the improvement results from actions that exceeded what was reasonable for a fair search, you get the general penalty.

Coupled with Interpretations

7.1a/1 – Examples of Actions Unlikely to Be Part of a Fair Search

Examples of actions that are unlikely to be considered reasonable as part of a fair search, and will result in the general penalty if there is an improvement to conditions affecting the stroke, include:

• Taking an action to flatten areas of grass beyond what is reasonably necessary to walk through or search for the ball in the area where the ball is thought to lie;

I would have thought a leaf blower would also flatten the grass.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It may or may not be relevant but the old decision 18-1/2 still has the same effect in that "artificially-propelled air" is an 'outside agency' (as was)

salfordlad

Visit site
There is no penalty if using a leaf blower to search and the ball is accidentally moved in this process. Replace ball and carry on. This is a USGA ruling.